Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus 1.6 Diesel 2012

Options
  • 29-07-2014 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm thinking of buying a 2012 Ford Focus Edge in the 1.6 TDI. It's the Irish model.

Are they a good car for reliability? Ever heard of any problems with them?

I heard some of the focus have a wet belt and should be avoided, has anyone ever heard of this? Not sure if the 12s have this though.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The wet belt as it is known, is in the old 1.8 TDCI unit. The 1.6 TDCI doesn't have the same set up.

BTW Edge is the base model of the range and not very desirable, Zetec would be a nicer spec to get or if you could stretch to a Titanium.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nirvanaholic

Thanks bazz26,

I thought Zetec was being phased out in the new models and that edge had taken its place. Basically that the Edge was middle range and the Titanium was the high spec.

I've seen some of the base spec which have little differences such as no alloys compared to the edge. Also, the Titanium are much tougher come across compared to the Edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

For most of 2012 the Style / Edge model Focus came with a free offer package, so has Alloy Wheels, Tinted Rear windows and A/C. We had a rake of Style Models early 2012 and Edge models later in the year. Some have come back recently, and still look pretty good. Difference between an Edge with the pack and the Zetec is an Armrest and possibly heated windscreen (have that specified on my orders, but think they were stock vehicles, so it's likely they all came in like that anyway).

Make sure it's been serviced every 20,000km or before - that is essential on the 1.6TDCi. If it's not serviced on time, it's likely to cause expensive issues down the line. If it is serviced on time, should be fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

No Zetec is still there. It goes Edge - Zetec - Titanium. Edge, being the lowest spec comes with hub caps as standard I think, but when buying new, some people specify that they want alloys and/or fog lights added, making it look a tad different to the standard Edge. If you can you should go for Zetec or above - more equipment. Titanium is ideal, but the way things go in this country, you get a lot of the bog spec cars and the higher up the spec line you go the less that are available.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get the optional 115bhp engine too. Way better overtaking performance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement