Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You know you're addicted when...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Flow are basically step in bindings. Foot in and pull the high back up to lock. Regular are two straps with ratchets to lock in place.

The theory of flow is sound but in practice many can't live with them or are unwilling to try.

Kind of like zip up boots and lace up boots. Regular boots I mean, not snowboarding.

They got a lot of negative feedback in the first few years, that put a lot of people off trying them, recently they seem to have improved though, with a lot of people swearing by them now.

I always liked the sound of the convenience of them. I guess I'll find out pretty soon which side of the fence I stand on.

As I said in a previous post, I really like the feeling of the boots and bindings being super tight, if they are in any way loose I amn't confident, so that could be their Achilles heel for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I'm exactly the same and not saying I'm pro or anything remotely like it but you'll see many of the guys and girls in the pipe start their slide and suddenly tighten their bindings again.

Took me a long time to find the right bindings and even had to change the strap to get the right fit. I'm riding medium burton cartels but with a small ankle strap. Before that I had large bindings but had to change when I got burton boots with shrinkage.

Videos on how to setup the flows look straight forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Fattes wrote: »

Do we want to start a General Banter thread or perhaps a season 14/15 thread where anything goes but a focus on, weather reports, photos etc?

I was only thinking about this the other day. A general banter thread seems to work well on some of the other forums on boards. Somewhere to post videos, photos, general snow related links. Saves clogging up the forum with new topic. Just my view, not sure if the mods have a positive or negative view on it.

I'm exactly the same and not saying I'm pro or anything remotely like it but you'll see many of the guys and girls in the pipe start their slide and suddenly tighten their bindings again.

Took me a long time to find the right bindings and even had to change the strap to get the right fit. I'm riding medium burton cartels but with a small ankle strap. Before that I had large bindings but had to change when I got burton boots with shrinkage.

Videos on how to setup the flows look straight forward.

I'm the same, I could stop any amount of times on the piste to tighten the bindings. They actually arrived on Friday afternoon in Parcel Depot. Less than 24 hours to get from the UK > Belfast > Dublin, very impressive.

Compared to my old bindings they're so well made, the old ones were falling apart from (small) jumps, so I was due an upgrade. Can't wait to try them out, the wife wouldn't have appreciated me wearing them on the old wooden floors.

Looks like the first (hopefully) trip of the year will be to Les Arcs 2000, in January, so I'll get to put them through their paces there. :D
    jvan wrote: »
    . A general banter thread

Just rename this one, it's already in motion

Put a deposit on an apartment in Mayrhofen for a month next year. No sooner was that done we went looking for accommodation for a New Years trip. Fanny you're buying.

Snowcard goes on sale in two days.

Put a deposit on an apartment in Mayrhofen for a month next year. No sooner was that done we went looking for accommodation for a New Years trip. Fanny you're buying.

Snowcard goes on sale in two days.

Nice, are you going to be working, or is it purely pleasure?

All pleasure I'm afraid. Unless someone wants to pay me to go looking for powder all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

All pleasure I'm afraid. Unless someone wants to pay me to go looking for powder all day.

Thats not as much fun as it sounds! ;) Oh who am I ****ting!

Fattes wrote: »
    Thats not as much fun as it sounds! ;) Oh who am I ****ting!

Lol lucky I'm not a beach sitter. It's all snow for me. I've even been to Antarctica but not to snowboard.

Trying to book Soll for new year but proving difficult. What are the taxis like for sharing Fanny? i.e. Is it likely you could end up booking alone?

• Advertisement

OK, flight for 17th January booked, all systems are go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Trying to book Soll for new year but proving difficult. What are the taxis like for sharing Fanny? i.e. Is it likely you could end up booking alone?

Are you booking through an operator or DIY? Trying to work out some DIY routes for either New Years or around Paddy's Day.
    cormee wrote: »
    OK, flight for 17th January booked, all systems are go!

Where ye off to?

stevire wrote: »
    Are you booking through an operator or DIY? Trying to work out some DIY routes for either New Years or around Paddy's Day.

Where ye off to?

Off to Les Arcs 2000 (the "concrete nightmare" one), it looks fine in the photos, and there are supposed to be some great opportunities for off-piste in that area.

Anyone ever been there? Any helpful suggestions?

Aer Lingus just announced a seat sale this morning, by the way. I'm getting return to Lyon, including up to 25KG board bag for €177, can't go wrong with that. :D

stevire wrote: »

DIY. Operator sucks for single traveler. Flights and transfers with operator, no accommodation, was €625 before I add my board bag.

There's also a lack of airlines from Dublin. Aer Lingus only do charter now to Salzburg which means flying with them yellow pikies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Lol lucky I'm not a beach sitter. It's all snow for me. I've even been to Antarctica but not to snowboard.

Sorry only seeing this now! There'll be no prob sharing, look up four seasons taxi, think its around €75 for a shared return trip. Did you get on to the tourist board for accommodation?

You'll have a great time, they put on a great show for New Years Eve & even more for New Years Day :)

DIY. Operator sucks for single traveler. Flights and transfers with operator, no accommodation, was €625 before I add my board bag.

There's also a lack of airlines from Dublin. Aer Lingus only do charter now to Salzburg which means flying with them yellow pikies.

Hold on hold on, have you booked flights? You know you can fly Aer Lingus to Munich, right?!

• Advertisement

fannymagee wrote: »
    Sorry only seeing this now! There'll be no prob sharing, look up four seasons taxi, think its around €75 for a shared return trip. Did you get on to the tourist board for accommodation?

You'll have a great time, they put on a great show for New Years Eve & even more for New Years Day :)

Yea two places lined up for myself and a mate from the UK. Hopefully our third snow buddy will join us from Belgium.

Snowcard goes on sale tomorrow. :D Must enter the competition they run. Most resorts and distance covered.

I'll contact four seasons. Cheers.

Nope not book. How much to get from Munich though?

Phew. Fly to Munich. Single taxi transfers are hard to come by in Salzburg, it's much easier to get in & out of Munich and the flight times are better. Flights to MUN are generally ok pricewise, check out the difference between the two, or you could try Memmingen if they're both looking very expensive. The only time I fly into Salzburg is when I'm with a group and someone else has booked ;)

The €75 (ish) is from Munich, I don't think 4 seasons do Salzburg. Train from Munich to Kufstein is €25, takes 90 mins, excellent service. That's what I generally do (when my chauffeur is unavailable haha) ;)

Thanks Fanny. I'll figure it out. Trying to time the flights for myself and mate from UK to arrive around the same time. Transfers was the only issue. I've gotten Stefan's before but it was a while ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement