Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASP.NET web app is generating lots of text files help!

Options
  • 04-06-2014 9:23am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Im supporting a clients website, its an ASP.NET web application (VS 2005)

For some reason tons and tons of little .txt files (that look like log dumps with stack traces) are being generated inside all of the solutions folders and sub folders and we have to periodically go in and delete them. There can be thousands of these in each folder whenever we go in to clean up.

Can anyone point out why they think that this may be happening so that I can figure out a solution to it?

regards
    Morph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Is tracing or log4net setup in the web.config?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Morpheus wrote: »
    Hi all

Im supporting a clients website, its an ASP.NET web application (VS 2005)

For some reason tons and tons of little .txt files (that look like log dumps with stack traces) are being generated inside all of the solutions folders and sub folders and we have to periodically go in and delete them. There can be thousands of these in each folder whenever we go in to clean up.

Can anyone point out why they think that this may be happening so that I can figure out a solution to it?

regards
    Morph

Posting the contents of one of the files would help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Found the issue.

Try Catch with a StreamWriter is being used in almost every code block and generates new random filename every time an error of any sort fires.

There seems to be some problem related to generating emails in a few redundant pieces of code. We will inform the client and we can fix it for them.

Cheers for the help all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

What're the file names? On a project i was on, log4net was configured to add logs to the files based on timestamps, otherwise creating a new file.

However the timestamps included the millisecond, so every time it logged a new event it would generate a new file, instead of appending it to a previous file. So when I tried to find a log, the live server almost crashed when trying to display 200,000 txt files in the logs directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think you meant to post in the coding horrors thread! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement