Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOM !!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Full story

Canada is shutting its embassy in Tehran and severing diplomatic relations with Iran, Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird has said.

He said the Canadian embassy in Tehran will close immediately and Iranian diplomats in Canada have been given five days to leave.

Mr Baird, who serves in a Conservative government that is a staunch ally of Israel, said Iran is the most significant threat to global peace and security in the world today.

"The Iranian regime is providing increasing military assistance to the Assad regime; it refuses to comply with UN resolutions pertaining to its nuclear programme; it routinely threatens the existence of Israel and engages in racist anti-Semitic rhetoric and incitement to genocide," Mr Baird said in a statement.

"It is among the world's worst violators of human rights; and it shelters and materially supports terrorist groups, requiring the Government of Canada to formally list Iran as a state sponsor of terrorism under the Justice for Victims of Terrorism Act."

He also said he is worried about the safety of diplomats in Tehran following recent attacks on the British embassy there.

He also urged Canadians to avoid travelling to Iran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It's bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

well there's plenty of oil there, so guaranteed the Yanks will get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Augmerson wrote: »
    It's bull****.

what is ?

story is true - and its also know that " friendly " nations get the nod, to get get staff and citizens out of harms way on a false pretense.

but if you say its bull **** in a one word answer it must be so - thanks for putting the world fears at ease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I hope the world leaders that decide to bomb the **** out of Iran have a nice long look at the footage of the burn victims from Iraq first after they decided to blow everything up in 2003.
    Don't think I'll ever forget seeing that footage.
    I remember seeing a mother crying her eyes out after her entire family had been killed.
    Then there was children with the most horrendous burns I've ever seen.

One thing that always sort of gives me chills so to speak is seeing that footage on the news of the aftermath where everything is calm with dead bodies with missing limbs littered everywhere.

I guess it's very easy though for people to "support" a war when you know it's thousands of miles away from home soil.

Weird to think that so many world leaders have so much innocent blood on their hands. It makes you consider just how ****ed up the world actually is in reality.

/Hippy Rant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

One country Canada cuts off some diplomatic services.
    There is still about 195 countries still on relative talking/connection terms in some fashion.

I don't think the Iranians are too worried about Canada's latest action.

dont get me wrong teddy i dont want it seen that i support ANY military action on anyone

but if the Iranians do lob a nuke at the Israeli's then the burning of civilians will be x100 times of any previous conflict

a telling line from this link " one thing we do know - the clock is ticking "

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/israel-edges-closer-to-solo-strike-on-iran/story-e6frg6so-1226467595299

it's coming in one form or another - question is when
    dont like being too cynical, but America will do well selling arms to Israel , and lets face it they could do with the work at the moment

my feeling is on this is , watch this space - its when not if

Biggins wrote: »
    One country Canada cuts off some diplomatic services.
    There is still about 195 countries still on relative talking/connection terms in some fashion.

I don't think the Iranians are too worried about Canada's latest action.

it's not just Canada , its the brits - the Americans , others im sure
    did the EU not say it was considering diplomatic sanctions if economic ones dont work ?

not saying at all just because Canada has taking this action that its all systems go on Iran , but with all other saber rattling that has been going on over the last month and now this ............ a betting man might take a punt on this one

http://www.thecuttingedgenews.com/index.php?article=562

quote " we WILL bomb Iran "

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Shake shake shake the room

• Advertisement

dj jarvis wrote: »
    dont get me wrong teddy i dont want it seen that i support ANY military action on anyone

but if the Iranians do lob a nuke at the Israeli's then the burning of civilians will be x100 times of any previous conflict

a telling line from this link " one thing we do know - the clock is ticking "

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/israel-edges-closer-to-solo-strike-on-iran/story-e6frg6so-1226467595299

it's coming in one form or another - question is when
    dont like being too cynical, but America will do well selling arms to Israel , and lets face it they could do with the work at the moment

1. Why the Iranians would be stupid to lob a nuke = M.A.D.

2. Why Israel would be stupid to attack? It would possibly give reason for no 1.

3. When will it happen? Post election in the states possibly (short version).

4. Who would win?

NO ONE!

1. Why the Iranians would be stupid to lob a nuke = M.A.D.

2. Why Israel would be stupid to attack? It would possibly give reason for no 1.

3. When will it happen? Post election in the states possibly (short version).

4. Who would win?

NO ONE!

1. becasue both of the antagonists have PUBLICLY said they will bomb each other - Iran has said it will if their nuke site is bombed , Israel has said PUBLICLY that it will bomb the nuke faculty - Iran has doubled it capacity in the last month

2 see above

3 i have no idea , but nearly all commentators have stated that it a question of when not if - why would so many be stating this if its not a possibility ?

4 no one - but that has not stopped nations before , and Isreal has form on this kind of action
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/7/newsid_3014000/3014623.stm

** also Saudi's said 2 weeks ago that Israel could not use their airspace WHEN they attack Iran - and the saudi's hate Iran **

1. becasue both of the antagonists have PUBLICLY said they will bomb each other - Iran has said it will if their nuke site is bombed , Israel has said PUBLICLY that it will bomb the nuke faculty - Iran has doubled it capacity in the last month

2 see above

3 i have no idea , but nearly all commentators have stated that it a question of when not if - why would so many be stating this if its not a possibility ?

4 no one - but that has not stopped nations before , and Isreal has form on this kind of action
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/7/newsid_3014000/3014623.stm

Sadly I suspect we are coming closer to a "When" situation.
    I hope I'm very wrong.

Sadly I suspect we are coming closer to a "When" situation.
    I hope I'm very wrong

i agree 100% - but that is the point im getting at , if you put all the comments and " evidence " from the last month alone it add's up to trouble

unless Iran backs down - they will get the nuke site bombed and everything that goes with that

the Iranian PM iforgotmydinnerjacket stated yesterday that sanctions are really starting to hurt Iran's economy - so fingers crossed they will do a u turn on this policy - or they could go all crazy mofo on Israel

i agree 100% - but that is the point im getting at , if you put all the comments and " evidence " from the last month alone it add's up to trouble

unless Iran backs down - they will get the nuke site bombed and everything that goes with that

the Iranian PM iforgotmydinnerjacket stated yesterday that sanctions are really starting to hurt Iran's economy - so fingers crossed they will do a u turn on this policy - or they could go all crazy mofo on Israel

Iran won't u-turn (for saving face alone).
    They will continue to delay, hold talks, break off talks, agree to hold talks again, etc, etc, etc...

Its what Sadam did, its what Gadaffi did... we know how that all ended up.

(Meanwhile... shush... don't tell any one, the world doesn't suspect it - the underground nuclear work will continue!)

Something has got to give sooner or later! :(

Iran won't u-turn (for saving face alone).
    They will continue to delay, hold talks, break off talks, agree to hold talks again, etc, etc, etc...

Its what Sadam did, its what Gadaffi did... we know how that all ended up.

(Meanwhile... shush... don't tell any one, the world doesn't suspect it - the underground nuclear work will continue!)

Something has got to give sooner or later! :(

my guess is the roof of the Iranian facility will be the first to give :eek:

Ara I'm sorted sure, I still have my iodine tablets.

I think ...

my guess is the roof of the Iranian facility will be the first to give :eek:

If they use their bunker-busters (which they will have to, I think) , the ceiling will give but the initial explosion will come from much deeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

They can't even play WoW in Iran now.

Harsh times :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

what is ?

story is true - and its also know that " friendly " nations get the nod, to get get staff and citizens out of harms way on a false pretense.

but if you say its bull **** in a one word answer it must be so - thanks for putting the world fears at ease

It may be true that Canada is pulling out it's diplomatic staff and closing the embassy, but neither Israel or the US will attack Iran. As much as they would love to, Israel just won't launch that kind of military action outside of it's own territory, and everything they are saying is just posturing. What they really want is the Americans to attack Iran, but America won't attack Iran because it's stretched thin as it is, has fought one entirely pointless war in Iraq and overstayed their welcome (ha) in Afghanistan. There is only so much the most powerful nation in the world can do - they've got too many troops spread out too far now. It is an immense cost to them.

Iran is not like Iraq of Afghanistan, it is a much, much bigger country. Millions more people. It's military, while nowhere near the level of advanced technology as the US or Israel, is still one of the strongest in the Middle East and Asia. They have decent Air Defence capabilities, bombing them into submission won't be easy. They will have also learnt the lessons from the Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya conflicts concerning air warfare and air support. Most importantly, Russia is behind Iran. Maybe not publicly, but they do back them. Russia is providing Iran with newer and more advanced SAMs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Whatever way you read this, it's scary times.

Just thinking at the tragic loss of innocent life that will ensure it making me feel ill. As has been said, no one will win but the hatred that will grow from the pain of loosing a limb, or family will just keep on breeding the same hate, making it the unending circle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

No-one want this war, it's unwinnable, the Pentagon know this, Israel knows this, Iran knows this so its all musk and pissing along each other's borders, Iran will test a nuke and probably endure even more stringent sanctions for a while and that would be that, the world will just merry along with an extra nuclear power.

There will be no war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

There will be no war unless Iran happens to test their nuclear weapon on Israeli territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I read this over on wired.com a few days ago: U.S. Attack on Iran Would Take Hundreds of Planes, Ships, and Missiles

all the theory ( mine included ) is fine , and debate on both side's is speculative

BUT ... Iran has said to the worlds media that if the sanctions continue to bite or get worse they will intervene in the straights of hormuz , for those that dont know , these straights are the life blood of oil for the US , the Iranians have a coast along these waters , along with ( old ) but sizable navy , they could cripple the oil coming from the mid east

this would also bring other western powers into the fray , including strange bed fellows like Israel and the saudi's , all for totally differing reasons but one ultimate goal - to wipe Iran and its Islamic mullas from the face of the earth

you can not under estimate how much of a trigger finger the Israelis have when it comes to this issue - becasue of the weekly threats from Iran against the Jewish state to wipe it from the map , all Israel needs is a hit of a reason and they WILL take out the nuke site , do not doubt this for one second

if you think that the Israelis give a flying **** about world opinion or even the retaliation, you are mistaken - and once they are threatened, the go old USA will and others WILL HAVE TO BACK THEM . full stop

as i said , they have DONE IT ONCE BEFORE - when they were a much weaker state and less friends in the region

some one said that Russia is selling the Iranians missiles - so implying that they would help them - not a bit of it , Israel also buys hardware from the Russians , and the Chinese and on and on

over 500,000 Russian immigrants have moved to Israel in the last 20 years ,
    do you think Russia is going to bomb its own people to help Iran ???

not on your life - WHEN Israel does go for the nuke site - Iran is on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

canada pulling out of iran is only a smoke-shield to divert the problems harper is facing at home ie the quebec independence question

israel know full well that without the americans this is a war they cannot win, they don't possess the weapons first and foremost to destroy the underground nuclear facilities, what would bring the west in though would be if iran blocked the strait of hormuz

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Isn't their nuclear research/power plant built deep into the side of a mountain?

Irans not the soft touch some might think, they've been updating and upscaling.
    They have an unconfirmed quantity (their propaganda says hundreds) of long range conventional missiles which can hit Israel, they're mobile, quick to launch and Iran is a very big place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

............ but America will do well selling arms to Israel , and lets face it they could do with the work at the moment
    Israel is the largest cumulative recipient of U.S. foreign assistance since World War II. To date,
    the United States has provided Israel $115 billion in bilateral assistance. Almost all U.S. bilateral
    aid to Israel is in the form of military assistance, although in the past Israel also received
    significant economic assistance. Strong congressional support for Israel has resulted in Israel
    receiving benefits not available to any other countries; for example, Israel can use some U.S.
    military assistance both for research and development in the United States and for military
    purchases from Israeli manufacturers
    In 2007, the Bush Administration and the Israeli government agreed to a 10-year, $30 billion
    military aid package that gradually will raise Israel’s annual Foreign Military Financing grant
    from a baseline of nearly $2.55 billion in FY2009 to approximately $3.1 billion for FY2013
    through FY2018. For FY2013, the Obama Administration is requesting $3.1 billion in FMF to
    Israel.
    http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf

I may be wrong but it looks as though the US donates the weapons to Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

rossie1977 wrote: »
    canada pulling out of iran is only a smoke-shield to divert the problems harper is facing at home ie the quebec independence question

israel know full well that without the americans this is a war they cannot win, they don't possess the weapons first and foremost to destroy the underground nuclear facilities, what would bring the west in though would be if iran blocked the strait of hormuz
    Israel have AIPAC to lobby the American government for them, thus guaranteeing a steady income.
    So yes, Israel wouldn't have a hope of winning anything if it weren't for the Israel Lobby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

1. Iran is still far away from producing a nuclear weapon. Even if it has produced one, it needs to develop the miniaturization technology to make the device light and compact enough to fit inside a rocket. The bombs that were drops on Nagasaki and Hiroshima were far too large and heavy to fit inside any rocket of the day, such as the German V2. They were so heavy that they nearly surpassed the aircraft's weight restrictions. Therefore, any weapons Iran could develop without possessing the miniaturization technology that would fit into a rocket at this stage in time would be in the very low kiloton range, perhaps only 1 or 2 kilotons at best. It would be economically inviable.
    2. Iran doesn't posses rockets that are powerful enough to send a heavy payload to the likes of Israel, let alone the US or Europe. Israel only tested it's first proper ICBM a year or two ago. Israel is much more advanced in nuclear and rocket technology than Iran and has over three decades of experience in nuclear weapons technology, yet they've only developed this type of technology recently. How then do they expect Iran to develop an ICBM, let alone an MRBM, any time soon and also develop the miniaturization technology to fit nuclear weapons, which they haven't even developed yet, inside one of these rockets? It's nonsense and pure spin.
    3. The Iranian president did not threaten to wipe Israel off the face of the map. That was a mistranlation. Rather he said "the Imam said this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time." He has not threaten genocide or any such thing but does hold a contempt for Zionism which in itself is often confused with Judaism and as such anti-Zionism is almost always confused with antisemitism. Zionism is merely an extremist sect that pushes for the creation of a Jewish state and shouldn't be seen as a representation of all Jews. Many Orthodox Jews openly criticize Zionism for hijacking the Jewish religion. Furthermore, you don't need to be Jewish to be a Zionist.
    4. If Iran even did posses nuclear weapons, a strike by Iran on any of it's neighbours (which is unlikely) would result in a massive nuclear retaliation by Israel and/or the US which would completely annihilate the country. It would be pure suicide. Israel holds superior numbers of nuclear weapons and shouldn't worry about a nuclear strike from Iran any time soon. Also, a point to note, Iran has actually signed to Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, Israel has not.
    5. The Iranian regime isn't at all saintly. They're paranoid, have ruthless domestic policies and completely disrespect human rights. But a war with Iran have even worse consequences for the people of Iran. It would be worse than Iraq and Afghanistan combined. Over a million Iraqi civilians died since 2003, was the Iraq war really as liberating as it's often portrayed?
    6. The US is one of the greatest funders of terrorist organisations the world has ever known. It also funded "Al-Qaeda" during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan and is again indirectly funding them in Syria. The US previously accused Iran of funding Al-Qaeda, yet now they're accusing them of funding a regime that is fighting against Al-Qaeda militants in Syria. Funny isn't it.

Advertisement