Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving the immersion on

• 21-03-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

Just realised I left it on this morning. How much will it cost me for the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

About Tree Fiddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

oh fuck. Now we need another bailout!

left mine on overnight last week, i'm calling ollie rehn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

Not that much.

Once the water heats up, the immersion should auto cut off, and then only turn on to keep the water warm every so often.

Edit:
    Unless you live in a dive with an ancient immersion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Very little as long as nobody is using the hot water.
    Works on a thermostat so will only cut in and out to maintain a temperature...
    Some people I know leave it on the whole time...... thinking is it takes a LOT of electricity to heat water from cold, but less to maintain a constant heat

HB
    Edit: Beaten to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Will anyone be using any hot water while you're gone? If so ask them to turn it off.

Otherwise I would say approx. €1per hour for the first couple of hours until the water heats up then approx 20c per hour thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No one home until tonight. At least I know I can have a bath with the hot water. Have the immersion fear in me though, thanks Irish parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've often wondered why they call it an immersion. It's basically just a giant kettle wearing a coat.

(It's probably something simple like "because the heating element is immersed in the water".)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bankruptcy in the district court beckons OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The pressure will build up when the immersion is left on, eventually leading to a mini Fukishima. Get the radiation suit out, OP.

• Advertisement

Phew, tank is well insulated (thanks dodgy builder who owned the house before me). So not too much. Why are people so fearful of leaving it on then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I hope you live on your own OP

If your housemates found out this is a hanging offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

over 9000

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I hope you live on your own OP

If your housemates found out this is a hanging offence

I'm a married woman. My husband will take it out of my housekeeping money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

PM me and I'll fit a push button timer for you. Push once, wait. have shower and don't worry about turning it off again.

Also might give your plumbing a good service if you're good looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Ring the neighbour and tell him to kick the back door in and turn it off. The cost of the door repair can be off set with the 3 euro cost saved on the immersion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Not that much.

Once the water heats up, the immersion should auto cut off, and then only turn on to keep the water warm every so often.

Edit:
    Unless you live in a dive with an ancient immersion.

If you do live with a crap immersion, be prepared to pay for the walls to be stripped and re-painted. We left ours on before resulting in steam coming out somewhere in the attic and it coming down over the walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

lazygal wrote: »
    No one home until tonight. At least I know I can have a bath with the hot water. Have the immersion fear in me though, thanks Irish parents.

Not only did I grow up with the immersion & lights left on in rooms fear - we also had the OVEN one - she'd actually knock up a few cakes, tarts, bread to bake if a roast was being done to make full use of that heat?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Fart wrote: »
    About Tree Fiddy.

Oh a little less than that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

1966 wrote: »
    Not only did I grow up with the immersion & lights left on in rooms fear - we also had the OVEN one - she'd actually knock up a few cakes, tarts, bread to bake if a roast was being done to make full use of that heat?????

That sounds fcuking awesome. Why are you questioning it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I used to leave my emersion on the whole time and it only added slightly to the ESB bill. I stopped doing it - I'm not really sure why. I have an electric shower and I live alone so there isn't much need for a tank full of hot water. I suppose if I had someone coming to visit I'd leave it on.

1966 wrote: »

I do that too-no point in having the oven on for one roast joint when you could have an apple tart or scones and roast spuds cooking as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

lazygal wrote: »
    Phew, tank is well insulated (thanks dodgy builder who owned the house before me). So not too much. Why are people so fearful of leaving it on then?

Because of a racial memory of a time before thermostats!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Some people I know leave it on the whole time...... thinking is it takes a LOT of electricity to heat water from cold, but less to maintain a constant heat
    thejournal.ie have repeated this advice today. i've asked plumbers about this before, and have been told it's an old wive's tale.

if you leave the immersion on constantly, it's constantly losing heat to the surroundings (albeit much reduced with a modern well lagged tank); so in that scenario, if the immersion is operating in 'top up' mode with no water being drawn, you're basically just paying to pump heat into the surroundings, as well as then for the water you use.
    but if you turn it on as needed, you're just heating the water you intend to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

We have small water heaters which hold about four or five gallons,not enough for a bath but plenty for a shower and the taps and doesn't cost much to leave on.

Advertisement