Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Coleman in for me and possibly Leon Best. Wes Hoolahan should be in as well, no chance of more then one of them being picked though I'd say.

McCarthy and Wilson can jog on as far as I'm concerned, those two and Stokes have blown their chance. Wouldnt bother with Gibson either.

As for the rest, Kilbane a maybe due to his service to the country, he could get one last huurah as a reserve, certainly more deserving than McShane.

I'd also tell Cox that he needs to go on loan if he doesnt break into the WBA side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

There'll be no surprises in the squad for the Euro's, Not much of a thread really, Trapattoni will go for the same old, despite what may happen from now until next summer!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Probably no chance for Robbie Brady to get a look in prior to this tournament? He looks like he could be a quality player based on what I have seen of him at Hull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

mcshane will be a definite :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Even though Trap does seem to have his favorites (McShane, Keogh), a certain few like Green (injured), Kilbane and Lawrance have all but disappeared from Traps plans, so I wouldn't be assuming guys on the fringes that have been in most squads will be automatics come the Euro's.

If you believe Brady, who stated that Trap would be giving guys like Coleman, McCarthy and hopefully Holohan a chance to show what they can do in order to make the squad/team, then certain guys are going to have to miss out. Also I wouldn't count out guys like Pennant and Ferdinand who have stated they want to play for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

What about that peno saving goalie from Sligo? Could be handy if we make the knockouts! :P

Given, Westwood, Forde
    Ward, O'Shea, Dunne, St. Ledger, Kelly, Kilbane, O'Dea
    McGeady, Duff, Whelan, Andrews, Fahey, Hunt, Hoolahan, Coleman
    Keane, Walters, Cox, Doyle, Long

Standbys: Best, McCarthy, Gibson, Foley, Clarke, Murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Seems to be be a few digs at McCarthy here, whats the latest with him has been giving us the brush off?

It's fantastic to have all those striking options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Still a long long way off. A lot will happen between now and then. Injuries will be picked up and players will hit form.

We could well see an uncapped (thus-far) player included in the squad. Anthony Pilkington or even Robbie Brady could force their way in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

TaosHum wrote: »
    Also I wouldn't count out guys like Pennant and Ferdinand who have stated they want to play for Ireland.
    jesus i hope not, while they might play well for us if they come now its just a case of them not being good enough for england and coming in on the backs of players who have got us to the euros, it would piss off some players for sure and that wouldnt be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

If Anthony Plikington continues his form he must be worth a few games in the new year friendlies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

How many international dates are set aside for friendlies next year? I heard the guys on ITV say that after Tuesdays game v Sweden that England have just one game v Holland from now until late May.

So if thats the international calendar it doesn't leave much room for experimentation for Trapp. By May games you'd be expecting the first XI to start friendlies and any substitutues to be players likely to be in the 23 man squad. Which doesn't really give anyone much scope to force their way in from outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Goalkeepers
    Shay Given
    Keiren Westwood
    David Forde

Defenders
    Ciaran Clark
    Richard Dunne
    Kevin Foley
    John O'Shea
    Darren O'Dea
    Sean St.Ledger
    Stephen Ward
    Marc Wilson

Midfielders
    Keith Andrews
    Seamus Coleman
    Damien Duff
    Stephen Hunt
    James McCarthy
    Aiden McGeady
    David Meyler
    Glenn Whelan

Forwards
    Kevin Doyle
    Robbie Keane
    Shane Long
    Jon Walters

Players like Darren Randolph, Shane Duffy, Greg Cunningham, Stephen Kelly, Darron Gibson, Wes Hoolahan, Keith Fahey, Simon Cox and Leon Best just missing out.

Paddy Kenny, Paul McShane, Kevin Kilbane, Damien Delaney, Paul Green, Keith Treacy, Stephen Ireland, Liam Lawrence, Caleb Folan and Anthony Stokes should be nowhere near the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Goalkeepers
    Shay Given
    Keiren Westwood
    David Forde

Defenders
    Ciaran Clark
    Richard Dunne
    John O'Shea
    Darren O'Dea
    Sean St.Ledger
    Marc Wilson
    Greg Cunningham

Midfielders
    Keith Andrews
    Seamus Coleman
    Damien Duff
    Stephen Hunt
    James McCarthy
    Aiden McGeady
    Glenn Whelan
    Keith Fahey
    Wes Hoolahan

Forwards
    Kevin Doyle
    Robbie Keane
    Shane Long
    Jon Walters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

This is a headache for Trapattoni. We are somewhat blessed for talent up front atm.

Keane
    Doyle
    Cox
    Walters
    Best
    Long

Only 4 of them will be going to Poland/Ukraine. This is a bit of a pickle. For example can he really have Walters and Cox ahead of Best who is scoring week in, week out in the EPL? Right now, yeah Walters and Cox have done a job for Ireland but you would expect Best would do equally well in the friendlies. I think Long, Doyle and Keane are probably certs. But Doyle is not on form right now. He would never think of dropping Doyle? But we are going to end up with with two very disappointed forwards.

I would take

Keane
    Doyle
    Long
    Walters

But it's a very tough choice tbh. Cox has done well for us and played more then Walters but on balance Walters might offer a bit more. Who would you take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Keane Doyle Long Walters for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Keane, Doyle and Long should be certainties.

I would take Walters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

I think there's a good chance he'll take 5 forwards with Best missing out, if not then Keane, Doyle, Cox and Long. I'd personally take Walters ahead of Cox but then there's no replacement for Keane that'd fit with the manager's way of thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If Anthony Plikington continues his form he must be worth a few games in the new year friendlies.

It happened with the likes of Baab and McAteer on the build up to USA '94. You WILL see players never before considered who'll come out of the woodwork

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

can see him taking 5.

keane
    long
    doyle
    walters
    cox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Think he could take 5, with Best missing out. Walters can also play midfield, and if we don't bring Cox, in Traps mind we have no cover for Robbie. Cox would want to start getting more games under his belt though imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Think he could take 5, with Best missing out. Walters can also play midfield, and if we don't bring Cox, in Traps mind we have no cover for Robbie. Cox would want to start getting more games under his belt though imo.

Ye good point. He can hardly bring a benchwarmer to the Euros!

i think the best bet,as someone touched on above, is:

Keane
    Long
    Cox
    Doyle

with Walters brought as a midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Laois_Man wrote: »
    It happened with the likes of Baab and McAteer on the build up to USA '94. You WILL see players never before considered who'll come out of the woodwork

McCarthy didn't take anyone new to the world cup in 2002.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

He has 1 cap for the under 21's. He could be a decent option.

Dotrel wrote: »
    McCarthy didn't take anyone new to the world cup in 2002.

True but we did have a few very decent players who definately fit into the "england rejects" category who had joined us in the previous couple of years cos we did look good enough to qualify for something. No players like that would have been looking at the current squad in the same light until now. I think you WILL see players popping up over the next 3 or 4 months talking about wanting to break into our squad.

Whether or not those players should get a chance is a different thread for that time. But nobody can say this squad doesn't badly need an injection of some quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You do realise Giovanni Trappatoni and Jack Charlton are different people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Wait and see how they play in the next few weeks is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I think he will only take 4 strikers (Keane, Doyle, Long and Walters) and then have Keogh as cover if needs be.

I think Cox is unfortunate but I can not see him getting game time at WBA, and I can not see WBA letting him go out on loan either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Bring 5,

Keane
    Doyle
    Long
    Walters
    Cox

Seen Best at a Newcastle game a few weeks ago and he looked very poor

SantryRed wrote: »
    You do realise Giovanni Trappatoni and Jack Charlton are different people?

I haven't said anything about the managers. I've talked about the players who have and will again come out of the woodwork. Please pay attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

A front 3 of Long Keane Cox? I will get my coat!!!
    I think it should be Keane, Long, Walters and Doyle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement