Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Opportunity

Options
  • 06-10-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

I was applying for Stephen Hawking's old job 'Lucasian Professor of Mathematics' today and I found a funny clause

'One of the stipulations in Lucas' will was that the holder of the professorship should not be active in the church'

Are there any other jobs that require you 'not be active in the church'?
    I think i am ok on the times tables up to 11 but have always had trouble with the 12's. I hope it doesnt come up in the interview.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

cavedave wrote: »
    I think i am ok on the times tables up to 11 but have always had trouble with the 12's. I hope it doesnt come up in the interview.

Haha me too. The teacher skipped them because technically we had already covered them through all the other tables. I'm crippled for life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

'One of the stipulations in Lucas' will was that the holder of the professorship should not be active in the church'
    It's 25 years since I was an alter boy but I hope the committee don't drag that up!

When I set up my scholarship it's going to be a bit more stringent than just not being "active" in the church. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

I was applying for Stephen Hawking's old job 'Lucasian Professor of Mathematics' today and I found a funny clause

Bring a claculator to the interview. That will have the added effect of impressing them that you are up to date with the latest technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

Or a calculator even....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Panrich wrote: »
    Or a calculator even....

Pfftt... who needs the calculator when you got the Iphone that can do nearly everything except cook - keep with the times!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

That will have the added effect of impressing them that you are up to date with the latest technologies.

Hawking has probably been cheating all this time. I bet he has a calculator plugged into his computer voice thing to answer whenever anyone asks him a sum.
    When I set up my scholarship it's going to be a bit more stringent than just not being "active" in the church.
    Are there any jobs you are not allowed to do if you are a certain religion? I think the king of England is not allowed be Catholic but that seems another odd case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Are there any jobs you are not allowed to do if you are a certain religion? I think the king of England is not allowed be Catholic but that seems another odd case.
    You can't work in an off-licence if you're Muslim (or at least I remember some story about an Irish Dunnes Stores worker complaining about getting all the crap Christmas shifts because of it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Valmont wrote: »
    Haha me too. The teacher skipped them because technically we had already covered them through all the other tables. I'm crippled for life.

Weird, I never had trouble with them, but I never could do 7s. Still have trouble now. Don't know why.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I never could do 7s. Still have trouble now. Don't know why.
    Weird, I'm the same. Horrible number, that seven is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

robindch wrote: »
    Weird, I'm the same. Horrible number, that seven is.

:eek:
    Take that back! 7's my sacred almighty number!!
    *Issues a 'numbwa' on Robin*
    It's supposedly the luckiest number in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Malty_T wrote: »
    Take that back! 7's my sacred almighty number!!
    Seven is the Spawn of Satan.
    And the sum of Four and Three.
    And if you're into forum baiting,
    Well, I dare you blaspheme me! (*)

Apologies to Ambrose Bierce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

The funny thing is that some of the earlier Lucasian Professors were clergymen and theologians. Indeed, in the early years of the Chair's existence, all Cambridge professors had to be ordained in the Church of England.

The 'non-active' stipulation, presumably intended to ensure the holder of the Chair concentrated on scientific matters, was used as a loophole by Isaac Newton who was ineligible for any other Professorship since his non-Trinitarian views barred him from bering ordained.

Advertisement