Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political protest

Options
  • 22-09-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Its been said that we don't protest, is it because we can't be bothered or something else. What I have noticed is it is very rarely a general protest but rather specific groups that the political classes and the media like to play off one another. Public sector V private, grey heads against students & paye against the unemployed or disabled.

I am not stating that all sectors are fine but just maybe it should be a fair an equitable society.

I work in the private sector with no union representation, nor do I really want representation, so I can't just down tools without it refelecting badly. I am expecting to be raped brutally by the Govt at the next budget as they try and create a society that they want.

An idea for a real protest that everyone could try to achieve is to use no electricity for 1 hr on a Saturday. This would be completly measurable action that the Govt would have to notice. It would need to be taken up by some of the groups that want to protest. But that was my idea what do you all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭EclipsiumRasa

mickyd1000 wrote: »
    Its been said that we don't protest, is it because we can't be bothered or something else. What I have noticed is it is very rarely a general protest but rather specific groups that the political classes and the media like to play off one another. Public sector V private, grey heads against students & paye against the unemployed or disabled.
    I am not stating that all sectors are fine but just maybe it should be a fair an equitable society.
    I work in the private sector with no union representation, nor do I really want representation, so I can't just down tools without it refelecting badly. I am expecting to be raped brutally by the Govt at the next budget as they try and create a society that they want.
    An idea for a real protest that everyone could try to achieve is to use no electricity for 1 hr on a Saturday. This would be completly measurable action that the Govt would have to notice. It would need to be taken up by some of the groups that want to protest. But that was my idea what do you all think?

I think without empty lines between the paragraphs this is hard as hell to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

An idea for a real protest that everyone could try to achieve is to use no electricity for 1 hr on a Saturday. But that was my idea what do you all think?

No thanks.
    signed.... a Vietnamese grower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

But that was my idea what do you all think?

I have no problem with people protesting, but I am heartily sick of people starting threads about the lack of protests without actually doing something.

And as for your idea? That's not a political protest - that's just another lazy arsed way of doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It would be very hard to get everyone to protest about the same thing at the same time.

A large scale street protest always attracts anarchists/skangers who just want to act like dicks as we saw at the Labour conference a few months ago.

And we have also worked out that sitting in a tent and messing up the area around you isn't very effective either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mickyd1000

I have no problem with people protesting, but I am heartily sick of people starting threads about the lack of protests without actually doing something.
    When I was a mature student I protested about college fees even though it didn't directly effect me.
    I have also attended meetings of protest that get hijacked by other peoples agendas
    And as for your idea? That's not a political protest - that's just another lazy arsed way of doing nothing.
    maybe or maybe it's a way for people who due to work or other commitments can't make the midweek protest outside the dail

It was only an idea maybe if you shared yours?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Divide and conquer. The Government are delighted to see the public sector vs the private sector, pensioners against everyone else, and now they're delighted with Dubs vs anyone outside Dublin in the property tax debate.

As long as we are fighting each other, we're not fighting them, and they couldn't be more pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think the high numbers who didn't pay their Household Charge got the Govt's attention. Now if everyone refused to pay their ESB bill for a month it might get the message across about charges being too high for that product and that they should reduce their price. Simple things could make a difference.

Advertisement