Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City Of God

• 07-01-2003 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

Went in to see it today on my day off. Blew me away. Fantastic film and the best film i have seen uhmmm...this year. Its a brazilian film based in the slums based around gangs and drugs etc. Seen a few reviews compare it to Pulp fiction because of the showing the story from different viewpoints bits. Thats where the comparison ends for me really.

Anyone else see? What did you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw it over the weekend. Loved it too. Alot of the camera work was very stylised (some of it reminded me of Snatch/Lock Stock). The story was gritty and realistic, and there are a couple of cool twists (the look of glee on
    lil' dice's
    face when he is doing the motel shootings was fantastic!).

Hard to believe its all based on a true story.

If its in a cinema near you, go and see it. You won't regret it.

Might go and see it again next week. It'll be interesting watching it again, knowing what happens to each of the characters. I know that I'll spot things that I didn't see the first time.

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Never even heard of the thing.

Gota go see the thing now though lads, thanks for the tip!
    My kinda thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Sopposed to be a cracker alright. One of those gems that comes out of nowhere. i love those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I'd have to go a few more times to be sure but I'm pretty sure thats the best film I've ever seen. It was utterly stunning.

The way the stories gel together is even better than Pulp Fiction. The style reminds me a bit of Boyz in The Hood but far grittier and authentic. Natural performances, gorgeous cinematography, tight script.. I can't find one fault with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

The style reminds me a bit of Boyz in The Hood but far grittier and authentic. Natural performances, gorgeous cinematography, tight script.. I can't find one fault with it.

Same here....as close to a perfect film as i have seen. Think i heard somewhere that he got a lot of the actors from the streets of Brasil, not sure how much truth is in it. Its very rare for a film to blow me away but this managed it with ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Agree with just about everything the others have said here, it's an amazering film. I can't believe it turned out so well, hats off to everyone involved. The style is a little like Pulp Fiction alright but it's not just empty flash like Tarantino can be, it's meaningful because the performances and the situations ring completely true.

I wonder if those who have seen both think it's better than Amores Perros? I'd say it is, but it's been ages since I saw AP.

Amores Perros sagged a bit in the middle third.

Cidade de Deus held my attention for the whole movie with no boring bits at all.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Most of the actors were just off the street. They supposedly contributed tons of the dialogue too. That scene where *spoiler* the children were deciding if they wanted to be shot in the hand or the foot /*spoiler* was all improvised.

When the director went into the favelas to look at the locations he had to have the local drug dealers take him around so he didn't get shot by kids like would happen with a normal stranger. there was a big feature in this months Empire if your interested in more about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭megameaty

Generally I don't like drug/gang based films but I thought this film was fantastic. Their lifestyle was so well portrayed, and very authentic. I also thought the main character 'Rocket' was great. It was easy to understand his dilemma of whether or not to get involved in the crime scene. It seemed like a huge challenge to avoid doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Agree with all thats been said it was one of the finest films I ever did see.

The hand/foot scene was one of the most harrowing I have seen. Very upsetting. What was nice was there was a lot of humour injected to keep you on an even keel. I loved the bit where
    he's flirting with crime but keeps finding everyone he meets is too nice to rob
    . Awful funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

Went to see this film yesterday cause gangs of New York was sold out. It's a ****in brilliant film, it’s about 3 or 4 times more violent than Pulp Fiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

How many violence stars would you give it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ya totally class film lots of good bits and a few twists. Like the indivdual stories too. The strobes in the club scene in one act wrecked my eyes tho.

Kept me interested the whole way through, i was never bored. Good story telling with lots of jumping around in the timeline but ya never get lost.

Alo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

saw it last week - really enjoyed it - v.original :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

Thought it was a great film, it was as violent as Pulp Fiction and yes the cast were fantastic considering half of them were found on the streets of Rio but at the same time did anybody else think it just kinda ran outta steam toward the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Excellent movie. Its funny, exciting and disturbing all at once. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Five stars, two thumbs up and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

Forget "Gangs of New York"! This is the film you HAVE TO SEE this year. I saw it in The Screen last week. It is subtitled but it is still a legend. Look out for Benny and also the "crazy kids"!!! Check out my discussion board:http://www.scarface1983.tk

Or you can continue our discussion here on boards? :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76061

- Dave.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭MAC_E

Good film, although not good for the rio tourist trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pencapchew

The best film ive seen in a long time. The acting was so good and the plot really kept your attention.

Advertisement