Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irriversable....OH DEAR GOD!

Options
  • 13-02-2003 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

i saw it yesterday.....
    i really don't know if i like it, one thing is for sure, i'm sure as hell never going to see it agian!

it really didn't need to be THAT graphic! i mean really it takes the joy out of seeing a movie... i thought it was supposed to be entertainment?

what do other people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

thought it was excellent myself
    enjoy the strobe light finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

i just saw it myself. It;s definetely straight into my "top 50 films ever" list.

Yes it is (very) graphic in bits, but i think thats an important bit. Later on in the film, during the nice bits when you're laughing, you just stop laughing and the images come back to you.
    Very well made.

But yes, very hard hitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Forget the graphic nature, it was just plain boring. Nowhere near a top 50 film, nowhere.

On the topic of the violence, did anyone else notice that most of the criticism of the film centered on the anal rape scene midway through the film. Personally I thought the two worst parts were...

1. The physical assault on Belluci after the rape itself, the kick in the head and the continued punching.

2. The scene at the start (end?:D ) when the rapist gets his head caved in with a fire extinguisher.

Q. Why is it that a rape is scene as so shocking, but incredible physical assault is almost sene as "acceptable"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

A tedious steaming dung hill of a film.

But hey, it made me laugh - the fruit-munching monkey boy out of his tree on one line of coke barging into an S&M club and trying to use violence to elicit information – one of the best bits of comedy I’ve seen on screen this week. Laugh? I almost forgot to wince.

The opening violence is so ultra and what had preceded it so stylised that I found I had no trouble watching it. I’ve winced more at moments of casual violence in other films, moments more brutal by being more unexpected but here, my brain just told me I was watching a film and the distance-thing was there and I was looking at the pulped face of the guy and wondering how it was done – make up or mannequin?

This is not about whether we should be allowed to portray/see rape scenes in the cinema – of course we ****ing should! But they should have some merit and this has none. If it’s about that one brutally long rape scene then that one brutally long rape scene should have been shot better because the main thing I was thinking while watching it was the relief at the fact that the camera was actually in a fixed position for so long. Oh, and I also found it funny how her cardy landed in such a perfect position to hide even a hint of her naked breast being shown. Look at me, Mr Noe was screaming with that, this rape is not titillating and if you’re feeling a tingling in your todger that’s your fault, not mine. The only justification I can find for its length is to allow the rapist to sniff his bottle of amyl a few times in a bow to the weird world of David Lynch.

The problem is it’s all down hill after the rape/beating. It’s just boredom boredom boredom. At least the Smack My Bitch Up / Jackson Pollock-esque swirling camera work of the earlier(later) scenes offered the senses something even if it was just assault and battery but after that … crap crap and more crap.

There is something wholly unsavoury about Cassell’s character’s attitude to sex, his blatant homophobia. You get to think that Noe has had the big-e big time to inspire his hate throughout this film. Women are seen as either coy lesbian dancing queens or sucking men’s cocks. Belluci is presented as tauntingly tempting her fate by the provocation of her nipple-erecting dress – she walks brazenly into the cold Paris night without even wearing her cardigan. For ****’s sake, she was asking for it, ask any High Court Judge. As for the men, they’re all AIDs carrying faggots or wussy intellectual types who can’t satisfy a woman. With the single exception of the heroic central character of Cassell, straight as a die but keen for a bout of buggery. And all the justification of the rape scene – why is it buggery? Why up the arse? Would a straight guy not rape Belluci? Or is it that only a homosexual could drop to such depths?

I see no value to this film. No moral value, no artistic value. It is too shallow to be a balance of style and substance (Bradders is spot on with the banality of the tale if told linear fashion and as for the arsey pseudo intellectual wankfest of ideas, dreaming and pleasing and that pile of piss – **** off, please). As for the style … well undeniably there is a style to it, and undeniably there are moments of …technical beauty (?) to what the camera does. But given the way the film is shot we’re in the Shakespeare monkeys scenario – shoot enough film and he’s bound to get a few good shots. So let’s not overly praise accidents, we’re only encouraging more. As for the dialogue – merde! What medieval hell hole did this dialogue crawl out of? It was atrocious. So laboured, so unreal, adding yet more distance to the attempt to assail my emotions. Blood crime? Did those hoods really say blood crime? For **** sake, it’s like they’re speaking a foreign language.

No one should watch this film, for the simple reason that the laws of physics mean it’s 90 minutes of your life you’ll never ever get back. You could be at home cutting your toe-nails rather that wasting your time with this dross. I almost wish I had been. They’ve really grown long and curly recently too.

... a pregnant woman dreams of a red tunnel ... i do wonder what dr freud would have made of that. is a premonition of something, that's for sure ...

... dupontel beating the ****e out of the guy with the fire extinguisher - i wonder if he thought back to the train and belluci told him about pleasing her, that he ought have stopped trying to please her and instead please himself, let himself go, his pleasure would be her pleasure

... dupontel trying to shock by talking sex on the underground and the rapist shocking by having sex in the underpass ... surely noe wasn't connecting the dots?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

i would not say tedious i would say shocking. I think there is no way i could ever find that film dull!?! the first half was an assault on the senses. the way the camera moved about. ted harsh red tones. the agressive angry men shouting and (whatever else they might be doing) at each other. It quite physically made me feel sick.

the one thing that keeps coming back to me is if he had been in love with her at the party as he had been when she was naked in the appartment.... well and so on

that film messed me up. I felt too queasy to eat for five hours after the opening. i think i've even been dreaming about it.

honestly aside form the mildly touching scenes at the end (start!?!) that film was a waste of a few hours of my life and i want them back!

Q. Why is it that a rape is scene as so shocking, but incredible physical assault is almost sene as "acceptable"? [/B]

i think it is because 1) she was incapable of defending herself against him 2)because of the grevious physcological damage done by a rape

acceptable by comparisson maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm not too sure on that, but I won't disagree.

It just struck me a s similar to the story Mike Moore had to tell about his Roger And Me documentary. Every complaint he got was about the rabbit getting clubbed to death, but nobody ever complained about the black guy dressed as Superman getting shot by the cops.

Maybe we're just more desensitised to certain events now, its almost commonplace.

i'm not really too sure either it was a theory i developed while trying to deal with the shock etc

could it also be because of a feeling of justification? that rapist brought his gruesome death upon himself because of his actions....he deserved to die!?!

whereas Alex was the 'innocent victim'? not that i want to compare to shakespeare but is Alex not a classic innocent victim, her demise a result of the evils of those around her whom she loved?

And you don't get much more innocent then a 'fluffly ikkle bunny' too

just a thought

the film means to shock you. but the method just distances me. and so, as i said, i found tedium.

oh, and the pulped face - my make-up or mannequin comment. digital effects.

• Advertisement
Advertisement