Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

UPDATED 05/08/11 Engagement Rings - READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I am looking for recommendations for jewellers in Mayo/Galway/Dublin by pm please, thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kerrybabe

[SNIP]

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,898 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Just a reminder folks, this thread is for advice on the process of buying engagement rings ONLY. Store/website names are not to be mentioned on this thread. Please refer to post no.1 for further info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AP1981

How do you know that a GIA cert matches the stone you are buying? Know this sounds a bit funny but we are looking at a Gia certified diamond at the moment that sounds almost too good to be true!! Also to the naked eye is there much of a difference between an 'f' and a 'g' colour? Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cgorm

Looking at buying a ring in the next week or so. I have seen a plain platinum band solitaire princess cut, G colour, SI1 with a 0.73ct stone for around €3,500 (or that's the up front asking price anyways before haggling). How does this compare price wise? I'm trying to strike the line between buying my good lady to be (fingers crossed) the biggest and best I can reasonably afford with something that she'll want and feel comfortable wearing every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Vintage / Estate jewellry is the way to go imho.

Via an on-line auction house (no prizes for guessing which one), I picked up a gorgeous 1920's ring for 1/9th (yep under 12%) of what a jeweller who enlarged it for us told us would be the sticker price in an Irish retail outlet!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Jimmmy McNulty

I'm thinking of buying an engagement ring. I was looking at just over 1ct but then I got my head turned when looking at rings by a 1.41ct ring. Both are VS2, very good cut, G colour. Can anyone give me an indication of what I should expect to pay for these diamonds?

The diamonds are currently loose the ring will be crafted by the jeweller selling me them himself. He wants to complete the ring as a 4 prong 18kt white gold with the prongs being in a diamond position as opposed to square if that makes any sense?! It's based off a design from the Tiffany guide that they are doing and looks good/unique for the picture I viewed.

In summary:
    I got a good vibe from the jeweller,
    he didn't pressure me in any direction,
    I made the suggestion to look at the bigger diamond,
    the smaller diamond is GIA certified but the bigger one is IGI,
    price is approx 6.5euro v 9.5euro,
    I see cheaper diamonds online but I'm scared if I have problems with the product down the line and the settings seem hit and miss with them..

I think that gives a decent description of where my head is at currently (aka; all of the place!).. I'd really appreciate any thoughts on the matter!! This is obviously a considerable amount of money to me so I'm trying to make the best decision I can.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Don't forget that once you go over 1ct you're looking at a premium price, where the cost isn't quite proportional to size and will increase exponentially with the increase in carat. If you have the money that's grand, but otherwise, aim for a smaller diamond and with your budget you'll be able to get better craftsmanship and diamond quality.

Gatica wrote: »
    Don't forget that once you go over 1ct you're looking at a premium price, where the cost isn't quite proportional to size and will increase exponentially with the increase in carat. If you have the money that's grand, but otherwise, aim for a smaller diamond and with your budget you'll be able to get better craftsmanship and diamond quality.

My budget was more based on a smaller diamond but I could stretch it out if I thought it was worth it and it is a long term purchase. Any idea what would be standard for engagement ring sizes these days? I know very few who are currently engaged so I don't have many to quiz on the subject!CHeers

Most of our friends have got solitaires, usually around .7 or .8 carat. I think that's a decent enough size, but would naturally also depend on finger size. Mine is a bit bigger but I went for the style rather than diamond size. Bigger fingers would look better with a bigger ring, but I don't think anyone would think you stingy for going <1ct.

• Advertisement

Gatica wrote: »
    Most of our friends have got solitaires, usually around .7 or .8 carat. I think that's a decent enough size, but would naturally also depend on finger size. Mine is a bit bigger but I went for the style rather than diamond size. Bigger fingers would look better with a bigger ring, but I don't think anyone would think you stingy for going <1ct.

Okay so maybe 1.4 would be over doing it in that case. She doesn't have big fingers and would be happy with any ring if I'm being honest. I just wanted to get something nice, at least in line with normal standards or slightly over it. 1ct looked kinda small in isolation but I'm sure it would be very different when it is in the ring then. I'm pretty clueless! Ha!

Thanks for the input. Very useful info for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 DiamondGuy

Price seems very competitive for a 1 ct G VS2 GIA certified stone with Very Good cut grade. Ask supplier what the polish and symmetry grades are on the certificate and also what the fluorescence grade is. These grades can make a big differerence to prices. If the grades are both Very Good or Excellent for polish and symmetry and the fluorescence is nil/faint you are getting a good deal.

DiamondGuy wrote: »
    Price seems very competitive for a 1 ct G VS2 GIA certified stone with Very Good cut grade. Ask supplier what the polish and symmetry grades are on the certificate and also what the fluorescence grade is. These grades can make a big differerence to prices. If the grades are both Very Good or Excellent for polish and symmetry and the fluorescence is nil/faint you are getting a good deal.

Good to hear! I did view the GIA cert and didn't note an issue with the polish/Symmetry and I think the flourescence was none. One thing I did notice though was the girdle was thick or slightly thick I think. I read during my research that thin-medium or medium might be best. How important is this really to the diamond if the cut and symmetry are both very good? I get the feeling I might be looking at it too closely but I just want to check into every detail before I make the final call.

In terms of colour, would 'I' still be fine? I was looking at the Tiffany guide on what they class as a potential Tiffany diamond and I was within their range (just). Would there be a minimum colour specification would recommend?

Thanks for the help!

D to G colour is regarded as colourless, H-I near colourless, price does drop quite a bit if you move from G to I. However, given Tiffany prices, I'm sure the I in Tiffany is more expensive than the G with the other jeweller all else been equal!

DiamondGuy wrote: »
    D to G colour is regarded as colourless, H-I near colourless, price does drop quite a bit if you move from G to I. However, given Tiffany prices, I'm sure the I in Tiffany is more expensive than the G with the other jeweller all else been equal!

Okay, I better double check the colour before I make a move then. Ideally, I would like F,G. I think I will go with the 1 ct as I would be stretched financially otherwise. Cheers

So I finalized the deal last night for the ring. Went with a VS1, Very good cut, very good polish, very good sym, I colour, no flourescence and an AGI cert to back it up. The diamond is to be set in 18kt white gold custom made four prong ring with the prongs being in a diamond position instead of a square.

It's costing 6,500 euro when currency converted which I'm pretty happy with in the end. I got a decent discount through a bit of a haggle which is always satisfying. I would have preferred a better colour but I didn't force it in the end. I have a lifetime trade up on the ring if I ever wish to which is a comfort.

Thanks for the advice I received. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Togglies

I know this is going a little off topic.........but can anyone advise - do most people wait to announce their engagement until they have purchased the "real" ring (could take 3 weeks) or do some do it before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I guess it depends on the person. Most people will expect to see a ring and ohhh and awww over it. I would myself would wait until I had the ring before Announcing it :)

On a side note, saw a lovely 1.5 round, colour:hI, clarity, vsi or si. It's actually amazing looking!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all,
    Are there any decent saving to be made by going to Belfast?

So long as you shop sensibly down South, there is no need to. Also euro is so weak at present versus sterling it may even cost more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Are there any decent saving to be made by going to Belfast?

Yes, despite the exchange rate, I found there was much better value up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Thomas1981

GIA are a good cert body so an 'i' colour by GIA might be similar to a G or H by another certificate body so I wouldnt worry about that. Some good savings by going down the colour grade but I wouldnt go under an 'i'.

Best of lusk with the purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sakani

Togglies wrote: »
    I know this is going a little off topic.........but can anyone advise - do most people wait to announce their engagement until they have purchased the "real" ring (could take 3 weeks) or do some do it before that?

We didn't buy a ring until After announcing... But this was cause we were worried we were seen while booking our venue & church.

In hindsight I would have the ring before telling anyone but we didn't really think about the ring until after.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

jackal wrote: »
    I think the average is ~3000.
    Some of the sums being thrown around on this thread are very, very scary. I got engaged a few months ago and I'm due to get married in a couple of months. With one eye on the wedding itself, I really couldn't afford to spend very much on the ring.

But, reading this thread has me quite concerned now - I spent far less than €3,000. I honestly can't believe that would be considered "average"? Do people really have that kind of money to throw around? Do brides really expect that kind of a spend?

I should qualify this with the fact that I think my fiancée likes the ring I got, but then I don't think she was expecting much because she knew I couldn't possible afford the kind of prices that are being discussed here!

I'd appreciate some feedback/reassurance?!?

If you see one of my earlier posts, I'd seen beautiful vintage rings for 1400. That's still by no means cheap. I think taking into account your personal attitude toward worth of jewellery, engagement rings, vs cost of wedding and investing in a house, rings can really cost anything for 30 Euro up! There's been many ppl posting on other threads about finding lovely colour stones for their engagement ring, going for amethyst or even crystal stones, going for silver rather than gold, etc... So don't worry! whatever you guys decided to pay for your ring, no one's to judge. The main thing is that you could afford it and that she loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lexi123

Hi there, will be in Dubai next month and getting the ring, anyone else bought there? Interested in your experience. We plan on going to the Gold and Diamond park and I have a good idea of what I'd like. How did you get on bargaining and haggling? Was the ring okay afterwards...setting okay etc? Did you get certs? Any info or advice/personal experience much appreciated guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

djpbarry wrote: »
    Some of the sums being thrown around on this thread are very, very scary. I got engaged a few months ago and I'm due to get married in a couple of months. With one eye on the wedding itself, I really couldn't afford to spend very much on the ring.

But, reading this thread has me quite concerned now - I spent far less than €3,000. I honestly can't believe that would be considered "average"? Do people really have that kind of money to throw around? Do brides really expect that kind of a spend?

I should qualify this with the fact that I think my fiancée likes the ring I got, but then I don't think she was expecting much because she knew I couldn't possible afford the kind of prices that are being discussed here!

I'd appreciate some feedback/reassurance?!?
    The €3000 average was from a poll here on boards I think. That's the average. I guess if you are on an average wage you would spend an average amount (months net wages). I know a few of my friends spent double the average, and some spent half that, depending on their circumstances. There are no rules or anything like that, I was just basically following the herd.

One thing to note, a lot of women would say they don't give a shíte about the cost of it and would wear an onion ring etc. but I found other women are very quick to notice and "appraise" other girls rings and make sly bitchy comments. Also some women will tell all and sundry how many carats and how much it cost. You might find it coming back to haunt you "why did you get me a cheap ring, so and so's husband spent this much".

I decided on the budget, which was a months net wages approx, and she picked the ring. Its a one off and is supposed to last a lifetime, so I did not want it to be a bone of contention ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The €3000 average was from a poll here on boards I think. That's the average. I guess if you are on an average wage you would spend an average amount (months net wages).
    There is absolutely no way the average person in Ireland takes home €3k per month. Absolutely no way. Hence my surprise that this is considered an average spend for an engagement ring.
    You might find it coming back to haunt you "why did you get me a cheap ring, so and so's husband spent this much".
    To which my response would be "well go and marry so and so's husband then!" I honestly wouldn't put up with a woman who was concerned with such things - not matter how much you spend, there's always going to be someone who can afford to spend more.

Not that my wife-to-be would ever say such a thing. She knows I couldn't afford to spend several grand on a ring. If I did, my contribution to the wedding itself or a honeymoon would have to take a hit and I'm scrimping and saving every penny I can as it is. The simple fact is I only earn so much and she knows this. If it's cash she's after (and I know she isn't) then she's going to have to find someone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm really surprised by how diamond-centric this thread is!

There's great value to be had with other stones, such as sapphires and rubies. I have a 1.2 carat sapphire surrounded by diamonds, and it was about a third of the price of a similar diamond ring I tried. My husband wasn't on a super tight budget and price wasn't the main consideration, within reason (I wasn't getting a ring worth tens of thousands) I just didn't think diamonds were that interesting to wear. I know at least two other people who didn't go the diamond route and got more for their money by doing so. Might be worth thinking about, although I know the diamond industry monopoly on engagements is very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I just prefer diamonds because they don't tie me to one colour choice, if I had blue, green, red, etc I'd be afraid I'd get sick of it, I change my mind every few years about which ones I like and I like things to match, whereas diamonds go with everything.

Advertisement