Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wedding Music (Band, DJ, Singer) ONE POST PER BAND ONLY! Read post #1 First!

• 02-07-2006 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Anyone know of any good wedding bands?

the price they charge?

*Mod edit: Bands/Djs/Singers who are active Boards.ie members are allowed ONE post on this thread advertising their services. Users who break this rule may be banned from the forum or even the entire site.

Some users may request that acts send them a PM (private message) with price/availability details. Please click here to see the rules regarding sending a PM reply.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you are ever at a wedding and see two lemons standing in the corner and sipping a soft drink, the chances are that they are either the vastly unpopular people who had to be invited OR a couple checking out the band for their wedding:

Ring up the venue, and ask what bands they have playing at weddings over the next week or so. Get the contact details of the band, and check if they are available for your date. If they are, then ring the venue and have them check with the bride and groom that it's ok for you to listen in for a while during their reception.

Everyone's taste and budget will vary, so this is a much better way of picking your band, then relying on word of mouth.

Remember that the main things people remember about a wedding are the food, weather, venue in general and the band - they can make or break the night, so choose carefully.

Costs will vary hugely, but we are budgeting for 2-3K :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Sticikied. Any other suggestions folks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Other things I have been told to look out for:

Make sure you are paying for a 3 hour set - some bands will charge what seems like a reasonable rate, but this only covers 2 hours. This can leave you with an hour gap between the band and the DJ, which can dampen the evening.

Check if the band will set up before the whole reception - if they do, it will mean less delay between the meal & the music. The venue may not always be able to cater for this though (the band area may be where the head table is).

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

We (Wife & I!) used a band called 5th Avenue just last year for our wedding. They were great. HUGE advantage is that they have their own DJ as part of the set up. That way you pay 1 price & get both the band plus DJ - it also means that there is NO gap between the band finishing & the DJ starting. We paid 1,990 all in ........... not too bad me thinks!

Let me know if you want a number for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

Tarakiwa wrote:
    We (Wife & I!) used a band called 5th Avenue just last year for our wedding. They were great. HUGE advantage is that they have their own DJ as part of the set up. That way you pay 1 price & get both the band plus DJ - it also means that there is NO gap between the band finishing & the DJ starting. We paid 1,990 all in ........... not too bad me thinks!

Let me know if you want a number for them.
    That's very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I play in a band called "The Biz Niz", we're part of a Management Group of three bands playing specifically for Weddings and Corportate Functions. We charge, inc DJ, about €1600. TBH, for anything relatively decent, you'd want to spend this kind of money.

To a previous poster, you booked 5th Avenue? Great move, the bass player's a good mate of mine, and they're a superb band. I'd recommend them to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

http://www.thegreatescape.ie/

Have to recommend these guys. Absolutely quality but need to be booked very far in advance. They're from Balbriggan and they play in the pubs there when they get the chance. Unfortunately it's not very often as they are uber-busy. I'll be sure to let you guys know the next time they have a gig coming up and anyone looking for a band should seriously check them out.

The keyboard player (family friend) did the accompaniment for the singer in the church at my sister's wedding. Unfortunately they were booked for the reception so we got The Odd Couple to play (I would also recommend these two guys and can give contact info if needed)

I used "The Best Men" - these guys are all professional jazz musicians, so their wedding music is tight as f*ck. Playing wedding songs is easy for these guys - I'd put them up against any wedding band in the country for musicianship, as they're professionally trained, and make a fulltime living out of playing. €1200. http://www.thebestmen.net/

Then Digital DJs for €420. http://www.digitaldjs.ie/

That's very expensive.

Actually, I dont think that it is too expensive! You get what you pay for & they were a great band. As I said in my last postr the peace of mind you get with them having their own DJ is great too.

I would say that the deal was well worth the money!

Tarakiwa wrote:
    You get what you pay for

Not true. Wedding bands are always a rip-off, as they are getting about 3 or 4 times as much as they would for a regular gig. It's just a matter of finding one that's good, that won't totally f*ck your ass. You got royally f*cked - I just got patially shafted. Either way, we were both screwed.

• Advertisement

Not true. Wedding bands are always a rip-off, as they are getting about 3 or 4 times as much as they would for a regular gig. It's just a matter of finding one that's good, that won't totally f*ck your ass. You got royally f*cked - I just got patially shafted. Either way, we were both screwed.
    Well I guess we have a difference of opinion then. But as Ned78 says - to get anything decent you have to be prepared to spend the money.
    I still feel like we got value for our money at at the end of it all that is what it is all about! I would rather spend 2K & be happy with what I got than spend half that & only get an "ok" band!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

http://www.drawingroomopera.com/

for something really different, I cannot recommend these guys highly enough.
    Your guests have just sat down for the meal and a girl in a red dress walks out followed by a guy in white tie, then they belt out that bit from Carmen that everyone knows...they continue the music at intervals through your meal, they give your guest breaks to talk, and are not at all stuffy, but funny and romantic. Don't worry if you feel that your friends won't like opera - I had had die-hard metal/punk heads giving standing ovations and crying! Everyone came up afterwards to say how much loved the suprise..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

We used Raindance for our wedding in Galway last December. I would highly recommend them. They even learn't and played my sons favourite song "those things I've done" by the killers. Excellent band (They did DJ as well which was also excellent).

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wardwil

Hey there...

I play in a wedding band and you can check out our website.

www.bumblebeehoney.com

If we dont hear from you no problem ...one piece of advice " Enjoy it and dont forget to mention all the parents and your bride to be in the speeches"

The best of luck on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Originally Posted by Day-wanna-wonga:

Then Digital DJs for €420.
    Thats is very expensive for a wedding DJ!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Just to let you all know, if I hear that someone has used this forum to find potential customers and private message them w/ their band details etc., I will ask for you to be sitebanned.

One post in this sticky is the only form of pimping allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

www.santoria.ie

that's my 1 post all used up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rayzor

dejavu from Galway - great versetile band see www.dejavugalway.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Melwood Kop

Any one in the Galway area looking for a band, visit www.tightropenet.com or visit us in The Kings Head or Cellar or Kennedys, see local press for details:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 airwalk

Had them for my wedding and was not impressed at all. If you are thinking of using them PM me and I will let you know more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 lollipops

Peacheh wrote:
    http://www.thegreatescape.ie/

Have to recommend these guys. Absolutely quality but need to be booked very far in advance. They're from Balbriggan and they play in the pubs there when they get the chance. Unfortunately it's not very often as they are uber-busy. I'll be sure to let you guys know the next time they have a gig coming up and anyone looking for a band should seriously check them out.

The keyboard player (family friend) did the accompaniment for the singer in the church at my sister's wedding. Unfortunately they were booked for the reception so we got The Odd Couple to play (I would also recommend these two guys and can give contact info if needed)

hi i got married in august and had these guys.they were amazing.i would highly recommend them.the dance floor was packed all night!!! they cost 1100 euro and were worth every penny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

Anyone heard the band EDEN? midlands methinx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Hi,

I am a mobile dj with experience djing in the bar/club scene in Dublin (5 years)and over the last two years have been doing weddings and birthdays with my own equipment. Please note my fee is significantly lower than that of digital djs/star djs et al. If you are interested in getting a dj for your wedding please have a look at my ad and you can contact me for a quote/availability etc.:

www.adverts.ie/4882

Thank you.

Sweetie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I would also like to offer my services as a DJ. If you visit my site http://www.kastlekaraoke.com you will see I have had extensive experience in the UK. Now I know it is a little different over here, but why not give me a go? I have many Irish songs and am very flexiable.

I have done many Weddings, receptions and birthdays during the last 6 years and as I am new to the Irish disco scene, my rates are extremely low. I have actually compared them to most other DJs in the Dublin area. I also offer a discount to Boards.ie members! Please feel free to visit my website for more information or PM me.

I am very attentive to your requirements and am sure that I can make your day a memorable one.

Oh and congratulations to anyone who is getting married, hope you have many happy years together.

Thankyou for reading my post.

DJ Spider

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Any one in the Galway area looking for a band, visit www.tightropenet.com or visit us in The Kings Head or Cellar or Kennedys, see local press for details:D

I've seen Tightrope several times in the Kings Head, and they played at a friends wedding last weekend. Have to say they were excellent.

Another excellent Galway group is Silkwood.

For a DJ, how about "DJ Squared" from the Front Door?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Hi Mods, may I suggest renaming the thread to wedding bands and djs please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 tiggs

The best wedding band or rather band are The Scene... I've been to a million and one weddings - but to be honest cant even rmemebr the bands being good or not good... well some of the not good ones stick out..BUT none of the better ones ring any bells...

My friend is getting married in August this year and has been to see about 50 diff bands.... incl a lot mentioned here... they were not really impressed iwth any they saw and as is said here the band is the thing that makes or breaks ur wedding..

Well in Oct last year I was at a wedding and saw this band called The Scene and was TOTALLY blown away..... I myself sing at weddings - the mass part - and no am not pluggin here... so am not easily impressed with bands but OMG I was totally totally impressed with these guys... the play ALL sorts of EVERYTHING... they even played some Doors stuff which went down really well...

They are player in Taylors Three Rock in balinteer, dublin on Feb 3rd so if ur thinking come have a look... this is a small venue and they may seem quite loud here but beliebve me u'll be impressed... if anyone wants contact details plesae send me a private message...

good luck.,,
    ttfn
    me xxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sarahp

the best band i have seen at a wedding are a dublin based band called mirage.
    play a bit of everything.
    i have seen them twice. (once for a 50th, where they were asked beforehand to stick to the 60's, brilliant)
    the wedding they played more of a mixture of modurn and oldies, everyone was up dancing.
    lead singer has the most amazing voice and a great front man.

also think they are very reasonable, €1100 , but could have increased in price since then.

if anyone would like their contact details. pm me. ( have their card in my purse somewhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭olaola

Has anyone ever heard of Santoria? Someone recommended them to me today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

DJ availible with large screen projector & screen.
    I have a good selection of 70s 80s 90s and some dance music. If you have any family videos I can play them on large screen. Dublin area but can travel.
    Professional equipment with gobo lighting & haze. I can provide a small medium or large sound system I also do events, 21sts office parties.

Advertisement