Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J1 and exam repeat cover?

• 23-11-2014 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Starting off hopefully this is something I won't actually have to worry about but "ar eagla na heagla" as they say!

So I'm heading off on a J1 this summer and to be quite honest the travel insurance SAYIT & USIT are offering is extortionate for quite little in return! Added to that I'm already covered on VHI Multitrip (although that's up for renewal before I head off) so what I was wondering is, would I be able to get exam repeat cover with VHI (although I've seen no mention of it with them) or could I buy exam repeat cover as a standalone thing, or does anyone know an insurance policy that covers exam repeats and is better value than SAYIT or USIT?

EDIT: I see that with VHI Multitrip there's cover for "curtailment", with the course I'm in college we will be back at the end of August so I wouldn't be flying back to the US after my repeats anyway so would this be as good as repeat cover?

EDIT2: Mods do feel free to move this if ye feel it would be more appropriate in the insurance forum!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I'm 99% sure it's mandatory to get their particular insurance with either of them - it's one of their profit makers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I was talking to a lady in a USIT office last week asking about all the 'extras' and whether or not you have to get them.

Basically If you apply for the j1 when USIT are offering a discount, it's a condition that you have to buy their insurance policy. Their discount will start soon and run for a month or six weeks so I'm told. I asked about using my insurance aswell and that's what I was told.

The saving made on the discounted price probably won't cover the payment for the insurance... But there you go, it's a money racket.

Also, make sure that your insurance (if you decide to go without the deal) covers you for the whole time you're in the US. Could be wrong but I think you have to have insurance for the whole visa length not just 90 days odd? Open to correction on that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Ah okay! I hadn't thought of that!

Advertisement