Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implants-Do I really need them?

Options
  • 18-11-2014 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I am missing two opposing molars (upper and lower second from the back). There is no issue cosmetically as the gaps are barely visible and chewing food doesn't bother me either.

When I had the last tooth extracted about five or six years ago my UK dentist said there was no need for a bridge or any further action. But I was a cheapo NHS patient which could have been a factor I suppose! So about a year ago my snazzy Dublin dentist showed me an X Ray and claimed I would need two implants or I would probably lose one or more of the surrounding teeth. I can't remember exactly which tooth/teeth were at risk. I also asked about the possibility of a bridge but she seemed to dismiss this. But they sound like a hassle anyway.

Any general views on this? Is it standard practice to suggest implants to save adjoining teeth or is my dentist just trying to drum up some business?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

People without teeth dont starve to death, and sounds like your missing two first molars. It is a good idea to replace them to prevent drifting and tipping of the surrounding teeth, to preserve the bone levels, and to restore function and relieve pressure on your other teeth.

However its not essential, but if your inclined and have the resources to replace your missing body-parts its a good idea. I would recommend it to my patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

I don't know much about them but would a bridge (or two!) be a less expensive means of protecting the adjoining teeth and bone structure or are implants the only effective option? Or are bridges just a cosmetic device? I mean I don't want the expense and hassle of a bridge/s if they won't help.

Thanks for the info already received.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

sometimes, the price of a 3 unit bridge can be comparable to the price of an implant. plus, the implant isn't destructive to the teeth either side of the gap.
    if the teeth either side of the gap are already heavily filled, then it may be a good idea to use bridges.

Thanks for that. Interesting re the possible cost of a bridge. Is the reasoning behind your suggesting a bridge over an implant (if the supporting teeth are heavily filled) that you feel the heavily filled teeth may not survive in the long term? Just a little confused as you also explained that unlike an implant a bridge puts pressure on the surrounding teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

A bridge involved significanty drilling of the adjacent teeth (resin bonding on molars is not really often done). This means there is a risk to the nerve in the abutment teeth, and also the false tooth sits on the gum rather than coming out of it.

In the future, the bridge is only as strong as its weakest link. A problem with one tooth is a problem with the whole bridge.

An implant is a superior option in all but a select few cases where bone wont allow. A 3 unit bridge will cost you as much is not more than a single implant. But technicial quality is the deciding factor on how long it lasts.

• Advertisement

As I kind of expected the best or only course of action is going to be rather expensive in this case!

Thanks again.

Advertisement