Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MBA with IBAT

• 26-08-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Any one done or doing the MBA in IBAT, Im thinking of doing it and just looking for some feedback.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 248 ✭✭I love Joan Burton

capefear wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Any one done or doing the MBA in IBAT, Im thinking of doing it and just looking for some feedback.

wouldnt bother, not all that reputable, what about ucd or nuig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

wouldnt bother, not all that reputable, what about ucd or nuig

It is accredited by University of Wales.

Are you saying they are not reputable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

One of the owners of IBAT was featured in a SBP article a couple of weeks back. He came out with a classic quote along the lines of 'I see third level education as following a retail model'. That made me think IBAT is just a factory shop for degrees tbh but I'm open to correction.

RATM wrote: »
    One of the owners of IBAT was featured in a SBP article a couple of weeks back. He came out with a classic quote along the lines of 'I see third level education as following a retail model'. That made me think IBAT is just a factory shop for degrees tbh but I'm open to correction.

And there ya go Tom :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lamrin

Hi Capefear,

IBAT, like many Private Colleges in Dublin, have a completely different business model to Public Universities. Public Universities have prestige, so they often do not have to work as hard as Private Universities to attract Students.

It is a personal decision if someone chooses a Private or Public College. Private Colleges usually offer good customer service, and are often a lot cheaper than their Public Counterparts.

It has to be said that Private Colleges cannot compete in terms of Status next to a top Public University, but in terms of price and flexibility of learning, the Private institutions tend to come out on top.

It is a very personal decision as to whether you choose a private or public institution, but an employer will value the MBA you have, and you can always explain the reasons you chose the institution you did (i.e. I chose Public for it's prestige, or I chose Private because it meant I didn't have to work whilst studying because the fees were reasonable). It's your future and best of luck in your decision.

Thanks,
    Lamrin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lamrin

Hi Capefear,

IBAT, like many Private Colleges in Dublin, have a completely different business model to Public Universities. Public Universities have prestige, so they often do not have to work as hard as Private Universities to attract Students.

It is a personal decision if someone chooses a Private or Public College. Private Colleges usually offer good customer service, and are often a lot cheaper than their Public Counterparts.

It has to be said that Private Colleges cannot compete in terms of Status next to a top Public University, but in terms of price and flexibility of learning, the Private institutions tend to come out on top.

It is a very personal decision as to whether you choose a private or public institution, but an employer will value the MBA you have, and you can always explain the reasons you chose the institution you did (i.e. I chose Public for it's prestige, or I chose Private because it meant I didn't have to work whilst studying because the fees were reasonable). It's your future and best of luck in your decision.

Thanks,
    Lamrin

Hi Lamrin,

Whats your association with IBAT then? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tevion

I'm also thinking of doing the MBA with them.
    Any other opinions out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Golf Warehouse

wouldn’t bother, not all that reputable, what about ucd or nuig

I started the MBA in Feb 2012, so far so good.

In order for a course to qualify for accreditation it must follow certain criteria like course content, assignments, exams and taught hours.

The University of Wales oversees all our course content, assignments and exams so in that regard you can have confidence in what you are paying for.

Having attended another well-known University in Dublin I have something to compare it to. Apart from the surroundings it’s still basically a lecturer and classroom with the equivalent number of hours to complete.

For an MBA student it is as much about the application of the theory and communication with your classmates as it is the assignments and exams. The UCD’s and NUI’s attract far too young and inexperienced students who complete MBA’s before their thirties.

Finally I'd say in defence of private colleges over public. It is much easier for private colleges to weed out poor performing lecturers. Having endured my fair share of poorly performing public servant lectures that could not be fired, I think it is the lack of tolerance by the fee paying student that regulates this much better.

What ever you decide make sure that you do your research. Compare course content. It is your education, career and money so spend it wisely. There will always be unfounded accademic snobbery in this country. However if you check out where the Irish Public Universities are on an international scale we'd never attend any of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

I started the MBA in Feb 2012, so far so good.

In order for a course to qualify for accreditation it must follow certain criteria like course content, assignments, exams and taught hours.

The University of Wales oversees all our course content, assignments and exams so in that regard you can have confidence in what you are paying for.

Having attended another well-known University in Dublin I have something to compare it to. Apart from the surroundings it’s still basically a lecturer and classroom with the equivalent number of hours to complete.

For an MBA student it is as much about the application of the theory and communication with your classmates as it is the assignments and exams. The UCD’s and NUI’s attract far too young and inexperienced students who complete MBA’s before their thirties.

Finally I'd say in defence of private colleges over public. It is much easier for private colleges to weed out poor performing lecturers. Having endured my fair share of poorly performing public servant lectures that could not be fired, I think it is the lack of tolerance by the fee paying student that regulates this much better.

What ever you decide make sure that you do your research. Compare course content. It is your education, career and money so spend it wisely. There will always be unfounded accademic snobbery in this country. However if you check out where the Irish Public Universities are on an international scale we'd never attend any of them.
    I smell advertorial. mod alert

As for the last sentence. Simply factually incorrect. smurfs are well positioned in top 100 MBA. TCD top 100 units (why isn't the MBA there ranked? Because the average numbers are <30 which is the FT cutoff).

• Advertisement

blucey wrote: »

As for the last sentence. Simply factually incorrect. smurfs are well positioned in top 100 MBA. TCD top 100 units (why isn't the MBA there ranked? Because the average numbers are <30 which is the FT cutoff).

Well in so far as that I am a student in IBAT and relaying my experience of that institution and my experiences of public institutions I am. However I am not being paid to do so no more than I expect UCD are paying you to advertise their institution and knock mine.

Yes, UCD is a struggling 87th but it is also outside my budget. Unfortunately like many people these days I am looking to improve my knowledge base rather than give credit to a brand.

As you have not shared your own background I cannot judge but from your comments I suspect that if you have indeed completed an MBA in any institution you have unfortunately missed the entire point. Increasing ones education is key to economic and social freedom. It allows ordinary people to rise up in the economy and improve their lot.

Whether its UCD or IBAT you attend, the equivalent amount of knowledge and information is out there for you to gather. I doubt UCD have any greater insite over any other institution as to its location.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

Well in so far as that I am a student in IBAT and relaying my experience of that institution and my experiences of public institutions I am. However I am not being paid to do so no more than I expect UCD are paying you to advertise their institution and knock mine.

Yes, UCD is a struggling 87th but it is also outside my budget. Unfortunately like many people these days I am looking to improve my knowledge base rather than give credit to a brand.

As you have not shared your own background I cannot judge but from your comments I suspect that if you have indeed completed an MBA in any institution you have unfortunately missed the entire point. Increasing ones education is key to economic and social freedom. It allows ordinary people to rise up in the economy and improve their lot.

Whether its UCD or IBAT you attend, the equivalent amount of knowledge and information is out there for you to gather. I doubt UCD have any greater insite over any other institution as to its location.
    I don't work in Ucd..my background is easy to find : brianmlucey.wordpress.com
    Meanwhile, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8843200/University-of-Wales-abolished-after-visa-scandal.html
    UoW MBA scandals also mentioned here...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Just as well that this happened then Brian, isn't it?
    "Taking the pending HETAC amalgamation and recent University of Wales developments into account a mutual
    decision was reached with HETAC that the College should pursue a standalone HETAC validated
    MBA programme. This was considered to be in the best interest of all parties including learners"

From http://www.hetac.ie/docs/IR%20IBAT%20TOR.pdf

I always would consider it worthwhile to look at what the relevant Irish qualifying authority has to say on the subject, before taking umbrage from the comfort of your tenured position? A little bit rich of you to be accusing others of advertorials, no?

I don't work in Ucd..my background is easy to find : brianmlucey.wordpress.com
    Meanwhile, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8843200/University-of-Wales-abolished-after-visa-scandal.html
    UoW MBA scandals also mentioned here...

Two Questions?

1. Does Brian Lucey know that you are impersonating him?
    or
    2. Does Trinity know that they are paying you to surf the net?

good luck.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nicger

IBAT charge 4k per term for an MBA DCU charge 12750e, Smurfit similar..... therein lies your reasoning, if you can afford the dearer options then go for it if not go for IBAT. I have been speaking to QQI about Ibat and although they cannot comment as the accreditation is from wales uni and they do not comment on uni's they told me they do deal with them for other courses and they are a reputable company.
    at the end of the day its a business like any other and unlike the public section has to perform to be profitable so they will be very fussy about the customer service they provide. I am going to take up there MBA simply because the irish universities are cost prohibitive bottom line. I don't have the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cauchioli81

I've completed my MBA at Ibat and was great.

Im international student and learned much more there than in my 4 years degree.

Since then, I've got a management job for a medium size company and recently was invited to a multinational Ftse100.

MBA changed my life, but i have to say, a friend of mine just done on Trinity and his course was much more complex than mine, therefore worth the double or triple price tag, if Im much better off he is flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fembot

I may have an opportunity to start a full time MBA with IBAT next month. I would be a mature student so will be very committed to doing well. Anyone out there with more recent experience at this college?
    My impressions are that the full time course is attended by many international students rather than Irish students. I am interested to find out if there are a lot of group projects or is it mostly individual work/assignments. Is there a lot of practical content rather than theoretical?

Thanks for any feedback.

Gils

Advertisement