Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Marquee wedding costs vs hotel?

• 19-11-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

In very early stages of wedding planning and wondering about cost differential of marquee vs hotel.

Ideally we'd like to hire house with garden that can erect a marquee but understand this might work out a bit more expensive.

Before get my heart set on idea just wondered had anyone costed this and worked out it generally cost x% more?

Just looking for a ballpark idea really?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It always works out more to have a marquee wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frippy

lazygal wrote: »
    It always works out more to have a marquee wedding.

I realise that just trying to get a rough idea of how much more say for 150 guests?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Some hotels have a marquee, or almost marquee room.
    I think Rathsallagh and especially Castle Leslie do, and also have the availability of exclusive use of the house / castle.
    Might be worth looking at as it'll be significantly cheaper than starting from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭fits

Some venues like ballybeg have a marquee up all season, and I think the cost would work out similar enough to a very good hotel package.

Thanks guys that is helpful, particularly rathsallagh, as need to be relatively close to dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

We found looking around at options like these that there isn't really that much of a difference between hotels and marquee/house rental weddings..

You just need to have a clear idea of what kinda of marquee ye would like and work from there.. Gather as much information as you can.. Some of the houses that you rent can provide marquees too at discounted rates..

We had two places in mind one was a hotel that you have well they say exclusively yours for the day and night at this cost and one was a rental property you get for the weekend which is yours to do with as you please..

When it came down to it we went with the rental.. as their was a price difference of maybe a couple of €100 euro.

The hotel was working out at (I cannot rem the figures off the top of my head but just to show the difference) something like €5,500 and the rental was €5,700 roughly..

What are you thinking, is it just a rental marquee you want in the grounds of your own house or property or do you want to rent a place

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

THis blog details how a couple did their own marquee wedding from food to generators. http://marqueewedding.wordpress.com/

They did not have to hire a venue for the marquee so you would have to figure out how much to budget for that.

Thank you that's exactly kind of insight I was looking for.
    Milly33 wrote: »
    What are you thinking, is it just a rental marquee you want in the grounds of your own house
    or property or do you want to rent a place

We'd need to rent a place and ideally somewhere exclusive to us for weekend. Where was place you rented?

That's a great link hayes thank you

Hi frippy well we haven't had the big day yet we are booked in for next year for Blackwater in Cork... But we done plenty of research and looking around before hand.

We were really disgusted at the hotels to be honest, they stick an extra charge on everything.. I know it is a wedding but still.
    One place we went that was exclusive for us for the day, wanted €250 just to use one room and for them to put up chairs for the ceremony. They would not budge on the rooms so we had to pay nearly €80 pp for the parents rooms or anyone elses that we wanted to treat. If we wanted a bar extension it was €480, when I asked could we use the residence bar they said fine but we would have to finish everything at 12.30..

I think these are the things people forgot about that all these extra charges mount up..

If you are anyway savie and creative the rental is the way to go from everyone I have spoken too.. even seeing things from helping my mum out with weddings, what people get charged for it crazy and how much you can do yourself..

Sorry waffle over, drinking too much coffee today haha.. Where abouts are ye looking I can give you the names of where we went around Cork if they are any good to you

• Advertisement

Thanks, helpful details, but unfortunately Cork too far away!

ahayes84 wrote: »
    THis blog details how a couple did their own marquee wedding from food to

They did not have to hire a venue for the marquee so you would have to figure out how much to budget for that.

That is a good site thanks.

The marquee and equipment cost them just under 7000 - I reckon a venue would cost in region of 5k.

Hmmm think will have to restrict ourselves to venues with marquees!!

Ah well I take it most are the same the good question we found to be asking when looking was

Is there an extra charge for electricity some places do charge a min fee for this
    Does the venue have their own crockery and how much off it
    Same goes for things like tables, chairs, linen
    Do you have to supply things like loo roll a small thing but a must have
    And are the people who own the place on site during the day so if anything does go askew you have someone on hand who knows what they are dealing with..
    Is there bar facilities and if so is it licensed and again is there a local place you could use to supply the drink or even bring them in working their own bar

We were defiantly shocked as I say how little there was between hotels and rent your own. We always heard that renting an entire place was more expensive and you think more lavish but in the end we found well so far that it isn't and you have a lot more freedom to do what you want..

Best of luck finding a place

Thanks Milly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

frippy wrote: »
    Thanks Milly!

highly recommend you that you research a lot more than the costs. the the amount of work that goes into managing something like that is huge, do you need that on top of your wedding day planning as well?
    Like electricity for example, if you hire somewhere then decide to get your own genny but you didnt get one that output enough power for the fridge for the bar and the ovens and music and it overheated, now youve got 150 people with no ice in their drinks or no hot food or no entertainment. (only an example of course of something that can go wrong) My point is prepare yourself for things coming up if youre DIYing it. and thats on top of all the rest of the planning.

not to dissuade you, some people take to that and are great, some people arent. Just saying theres a lot more to it than just price.

Advertisement