Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lobster

Options
  • 10-11-2014 4:05pm

Me and the GF made lobster thermidor a good while back.
    possibly last christmas.
    We got them in Lidil.
    I couldn't help but feel (not having had lobster before) that they were really small and not much eating in them :D

So my question is where can I buy some decent sized ones and what should I expect to pay?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The lidl ones are frozen are they?

Well, I'm not sure where your local fishmonger is... but in Cork city, the big fish merchants in the english market have a lobster tank. http://www.koconnellfish.com/

It's a while since I got one, price was around 15 to 20 euro a kilo I'd say.

Yea they were frozen,
    The internet tells me they were only 350g .
    I reckon i could eat a kg of lobster considering then weight of the shell/legs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Lidl ones are imported Canadian ones which are a world away from fresh Irish ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The Lidl ones are imported Canadian ones which are a world away from fresh Irish ones.

5792 km. So slightly over a fifth of a world away.

:pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

A good fishmonger usually has a tank of lobsters and they can range in price from €20 - €30 a kilo. I tend to buy one big lobster and split it with my husband as I find the richness of the meat makes it more than enough especially with side dishes.

I really want to make lobster thermidor again, I loved it so much. I made it one evening for my parents and myself with two lobsters and we practically fought over the distribution of the spare half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi have 2 frozen lobster tails for 12.99

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Out of stock in Aldi/Lidl. Anyone know where theres lobster tails going?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Saw some in Tesco. Raw lobster tails frozen.

Wasnt listed online which shows the full lobster only.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

No tails but got a whole frozen lobster. Lidl have them aswell.

They might come back in, I picked some up last weekend. Now that I think about it, they weren't in the normal freezers. There's usually a seafood freezer separate from the other freezers and that's where they were, beside the scallops. In Artane, it's on the far back wall of the shop.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, I know the freezer. Cheers Ill be there tomorrow and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Been binge watching hell's kitchen and had a craving for lobster risotto, got one of those whole lobsters a few weeks ago, was a little underwhelmed with the amount and texture but was nice enough. Made stock with the shell and that was fantastic. I would have had the risotto with just peas and the stock.

Anywhere in cork give me just the shells?

Backup plan idea...

Dublin Bay Prawns (aka langoustines, Norway lobster) are really - despite our name for them - closer to small lobsters than prawns; they are mostly shell, and can be picked up fairly cheaply. ps use the heads when making the stock also.

This will give you some idea:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Good call, the recipe i used for the stock actually says langoustines crab lobster prawn shells.

Would i get just the shells in the english market?

Enjoyed the Tesco lobster. Tasty. Just did a linguine with lemon, fresh chilis, splash of wine and garlic. Really good. Shells frozen for another day.

Most fishmongers I've seen sell the prawns whole. You'd want to try to find one that is selling peeled DB prawns and then I'm curious myself what they do with the shells... you might get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Max H

Got to say, i find Lobster over rated and over priced. Crab meat and crab claws much nicer and far cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Nice to see him rattling off two different dishes at the same time. Both of them easy recipes but you need to keep your head screwed on. I'll be both of those (just maybe not at the exact same time!).

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

And for lobsters...

My fish monger - Gannet, in Galway, nearly always has lobster available. Good size and occasional special offers. And he will deliver nationwide.

No connection, but I am a regular customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

How to put lobster to sleep in 1 minute

• Advertisement

Defo over priced, in Ireland anyway, but the taste is fantastic imo.

I’d agree that crab is a far tastier meat, but the price of it has gone through the roof recently, especially when you consider the amount of wastage in a crab.

I find lobster to have a much more subtle flavour. More background. Crab is delicious of course too but a little more fishy.

Bumping thread as Tesco have frozen lobster range back in stock for the Christmas run in.

2 raw lobster tails for €18.

Whole cooked lobster €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thanks need to start exploring lobster options this winter and get more involved in what’s available

Lidl have frozen lobster in thursday 30th november.

Whole cooked lobster or lobster tails

My local ALDI still has these Whole Cooked Canadian Lobster 400g priced at €6.50

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-whole-cooked-canadian-lobster-400g-specially-selected/4088600347912

Lobster tails on sale in Tesco. To clear. 9 quid

Advertisement