Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Invisible Hearing Aids!

Options
  • 10-06-2014 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

After years of searching for 'real' invisible hearing aids - I have finally cracked it!

Lyric hearing devices fit deep into the ear canal, and cannot be seen at all.

The sound is brilliant, you cannot feel them, and it's an evolving technology.

Like a lot of people, I had reservations about these implants (they are fitted into the canal, and you don't remove them for around three months, that's when the power supply runs out).

You shower in them as normal, you basically put them in, and forget about it.

Of course there is positive & negative feedback with them - and as a first time user, I can
    tell you exactly how they function.. The good and the bad sides respectively.

I had never heard of Lyric, even after trawling the internet for years, I guess the more known company's have links set up to their own sites, it's hard to look elsewhere..

Ok, Lyric is not for everybody, they don't do the hard sell stint on you - Like my previous lot did. They give you a free 30 day trial, and only ask that you give them feedback after the trial is over, both positive and negative. (It really is that simple).

They have outlets in Cork & Dublin - (May have more, not to sure?)

I attended the Cork outlet, the staff are informative, friendly, professional, and most of all, are not hardened sales people, they actually care for your you, and your hearing impediment.

Anyway, as I said.... It's really changed my life in so many ways. I will answer any questions you may have regarding these devices (from a punters point of view).

Please post questions on this thread, or private PM me if you wish. Like I said, they are not for everybody, but for a 'young' fella like meself, they are a Godsend!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

What is your level of hearing loss? For most people with mild to moderate hearing loss I think in-the-ear hearing aids, of any type, are adequate. But I think they're not for the more severe hearing loss as they haven't enough magnification power.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Limerick Blow In

I am running at 60% in one ear, not to sure what the other one at, but that would be my 'good one'.

I previously had over the ear devices, these were the best that money could buy at the time - But are not a patch on the Lyric sound.

Apparently, the Lyric devices make use of your ear canal to make a more natural sound (As opposed to over the ear receivers).

The guys that discussed Lyric with me, inform me that around 80% of 'hearing impaired' people fit into the Lyric range??

I guess that's why they give everybody a free 30 day trial ..... It's up to the user then to validate their claims.

It's a pity I didn't get a 30 day trial with my previous suppliers... They practically told me I need these ones, show me the money, and good luck.... I paid five thousand for my previous devices, and they broke down several times within the first two years.....!!!!

Lyric are replaced every 10 to 12 weeks, with the latest evolving technology... They never get old, you always have the latest upgrades... And they are constantly upgrading their model.... It really is that plain and simple.

I'm so happy with the product, I probably sound like a Lyric salesman.... (I am not - And have no connection to Lyric, or any of it's products, apart from wearing them that is..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

Unfortantly they are very expensive. Were you told how much they would cost?
    Its a shame though as l would love to get them. Can't afford them

l copied this from the irish times web site.

The Lyric device is disposable but patients don’t purchase new sets every time they run out. Instead they pay for a subscription service which replaces the hearing aids whenever necessary.

Unfortunately, cramming all this technology into such a small space doesn’t come cheap. A one-month subscription for a set of Lyric devices will cost you about €340 (around €4,100 annually).

Traditional hearing aids should last four to six years and a pair should cost roughly €2,000-€6,000, according to Brendan Lennon who is head of information at DeafHear, an organisation promoting equality for Deaf and Hard of Hearing people in Ireland.

Assuming a traditional set of hearing aids lasts five years, Lyric could end up being anywhere from three to 10 times more expensive on an annualised basis.

Replacement sets
    For the majority of people, Lyric devices will last between 70 and 90 days. Roughly speaking, a subscription entitles patients to a new set every 52 days (ie, up to seven devices per subscription). As with many new or invisible hearing aids, the device is accompanied by a remote control that allows users to adjust the volume and turn it off.

Tue, Jan 21, 2014, 01:00

First published: Tue, Jan 21, 2014, 01:00

This is correct, they are not cheap. But look at it a different way.. I spent 5K on over the ear devices, they were forever going in for repair, and failed numerous times within the first two years...

Lyric implants are replaced every 10 weeks or so... You always get the latest upgrades. This ensures the quality never declines, and improves constantly.

Quality is what counts - You can drive a Lada that will break your heart, or you can drive a BMW and enjoy the experience.

As I said, they are not for everybody. But the quality of life I have with Lyric, I cannot put a price on.

Before I changed to Lyric, I avoided social gatherings, meals or family functions - The numerous people talking over one another, and the usual sports matches on in bars played havoc with my hearing... The background noise was just too much, it was hard to concentrate on one conversation without missing half the topic...

Lyric changed all that. I can now walk into any group, and interact with an entire crowd of people, even people talking from outside the group.

For me - You can't buy that quality of life, it doesn't have a price on it.

I work hard every week - I don't drive flash cars, or have extravagant habits, to me, instead of paying through the nose for fancy nights out, I invest in a better lifestyle. Life's too short!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

l wear 2 hearing aids and have the same pair for nearly 10yrs. They rarely gave trouble and the most l paid for repairs was about €1000 and prsi covers for half.
    So for me, lyric hearing aids are very expensive for each year, l think its ridculous.
    l have a family so they's no way l can afford them
    But l would love to get them as you say the quality are better and also they wouldn't be seen.
    l am very consious of mine and hate it when people look at my ears or trying to. l always leave my hair down to cover my ears

Maybe in time they will be cheaper or maybe l will WIN THE LOTTO :)

• Advertisement

Several people I know have said the same... The expense is too much for them..

I did highlight they were not too concerned about making the monthly payments on their 27K cars parked in their driveways.. The loan repayments were dearer than my Lyric payments per month.

But that was their choice.. They wanted new cars in their driveways, I wanted to hear again. It's a personal choice thing..

Going forward, every product reduces in price. Mobile phone tariffs were once the equivalent of legal extortion... Now, they are so cheap, land lines are beginning to become a thing of the past.

I would like to see the government be more helpful to the hearing impaired. In consider a 22% refund of hearing aid costs is an insult.. We pay tax all our lives, and they are a necessity, not a luxury, it's not as if we are trying to keep up with the Jones's.

As stated before - The quality of life is paramount to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Can I ask what age you are. I have a family member who wears hearing aids and I think your post is fantastic and positive. You only heave one life and need to hear properly in it. What age can you get these from.

I am in my 40's, and very active. Anybody can be fitted with Lyric as long as you are inside the 'range'. The people who dealt with me, said most people are suitable candidates for the implants.

Most of my buddies are paying loans off on 20k - 30k cars, their little bundles of joy are parked in their drive ways depreciating in value by the day. They choose to buy new cars every year - I don't. I prefer to enjoy life to the max.

As a 'young fella', I was conscious of wearing over the ear devices, it made ne withdraw from social occasions, or just not wear the hearing aids and struggle to mix with people.... (I have been called ignorant on many occasions because I didn't here people greet me..!)

To me, Lyric is worth it's weight in gold... I work hard, I love life, and lets face it.... There are no pockets in shrouds!!

To anybody thinking of Lyric, I say this.. Go for the free 30 day trial - There is absolutely no obligation to buy them. The Lyric staff are more concerned about getting the feedback from the users (negative or positive), they don't hound you like a double glazing salesman...

As previously stated, I have no connection to Lyric what so ever... I am a happy punter that bought into Lyric, and transformed my life. Nobody knows I have implants, and my quality of life is top notch...

From somebody that was 'getting down', and making excuses to avoid gatherings of any sort... I now have a new lease of life...

I am 40, going on 24!!!

Guys - Anybody considering Lyric... Do the 30 day trial!!

The world cup is crystal clear... And the wife isn't complaining about the noise either!!

Life isn't a rehearsal.... It's gone too quick.. If you can afford it, Lyric is a must...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 debbie353

Guys - Anybody considering Lyric... Do the 30 day trial!!

The world cup is crystal clear... And the wife isn't complaining about the noise either!!

Life isn't a rehearsal.... It's gone too quick.. If you can afford it, Lyric is a must...

Just thought I'd let you know I read this a few months ago and informed my mum of your experience. She had about 40%hearing in each ear and tinnitus. She's spent fortunes on hearing aids that ended up in a drawer unused as they were useless. She signed up for the free trial and couldn't believe the improvement. They got her hearing to about 70% in both ears and her consultant wasn't happy he wants to improve it more. Needless to say my mum was over the moon with this. However it's not been without some slight hitches as she doesn't produce wax in her ears for some strange reason she's finding it a tad uncomfortable at times and did get an ear infection and swelling. Neither her or the consultant have been put off by this they just put the trial on hold and started it again once it cleared up. The consultant is happy to find a new problem patient in my mum and he's researching it too so this won't be an issue if he find someone else in the same situation. And yes it is expensive but it's helped my mum enormously. Just wanted to thank you for your info as it gave me the push to get my mum to go check it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 tea and cake

Hi, Just wondering is the cost still around €4,000 annually? Or has it reduced? Thanks for any replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This is an old thread and the op has not been back since telling us about his hearing aids, so I will close this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement