Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salary prorated

• 21-11-2014 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭

When calculating monthly salary should all the days of the month be included when calculating on a prorata basis
    ie start date 17th nov - working days 10/20 = 50% OR 14/30 = 47%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Don't think there is one definitive or legislated answer. My experience, the monthly salary is determined by the number of working days not worked in the month! If your monthly is 3,000 and you miss five working days your salary is 3,000 less 5 days at your daily rate. Daily rate is 36,000/260. Best to ask your HR department

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

number of ways I've had to work it out in the past. One way to work it out is gross salary, divided by 52 (weeks), divided by 5 for a daily rate. multiply by x days for days worked in the month, and pay this rate.

another way would be gross / 52 / 5 x days not worked in the month.

I've never (so far) had it worked it out over the number of actual days in the month (ie 28/30/31).

clevtrev wrote: »
    Daily rate is 36,000/260. Best to ask your HR department

where do you get the 260 days from. I haven't seen this formula before. is that days in the year less holiday days, public holidays, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

where do you get the 260 days from. I haven't seen this formula before. is that days in the year less holiday days, public holidays, etc?

260 days is just 52 weeks times 5 days. Whether the days are work or holidays is not relevant in the calculation of a daily rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Ive used 261 when calculating a daily rate before, ie 365 days in the year less 104 weekend days

• Advertisement

what about in a leap year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

what about in a leap year :D

That's a free day you give your employer when salaried!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Nowhere in Irish employment law does it state which is the correct calculation for pro-rating pay. I have had one client request that I calculate it based on the days per month, which means that the daily rate of pay changes every month. However the vast majority of companies in my experience use the annual salary/260 days method.

That's a free day you give your employer when salaried!! :mad:

and worse is the extra hour you give when on night shift the night the clocks go back. I've ever managed to be on night shift for the spring forward hour though they say it evens up over time :mad:

Advertisement