Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks Vs Insomnia

Options
  • 14-11-2014 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

Just wondering what do people prefare, Insomnia or Starbucks? I just finished a Starbucks about 20-30 minutes ago. It was okay. In saying that, I had an Insomnia last week and it was absoutely out of this world well - for me anyway. I used to swear by Starbucks. To me, it was the only coffee co that was worth getting the bus into town & queing for an hour or so for. Now though, I realise there are far superior coffee shops out there, I love Insomnia and a few others, and I'm am happy to say that today - was my last EVER Starbucks and I'm happy about that. So. What do you prefer? Insomnia or Starbucks.

(For me it's a deffinate thumbs up for Insomnia and thumbs down for Starbucks :) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Thumbs down for Starbucks, the tax dodging bankers. And as for Costa, last time I had one I thought I was Bear Grills (drinking my own p1ss)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Haha I know! I totaly agree with you for both Starbucks and Costa. Thumbs down. So what do you think of insomnia?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

There are many excellent coffee shops in Ireland , but in my opinion the ones you mentioned are very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I cant get no sleep.

insomnia

great song so it is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Another vote for Insomina here. Way ahead of Costa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Jezek wrote: »
    There are many excellent coffee shops in Ireland , but in my opinion the ones you mentioned are very poor

Totally agree, however, of the big chains I think Insomnia are the best. I am also a big fan of they way they use a lot of Irish and artisan producers in their range e.g. glenillen farm butter, ballymaloe relish, honest gluten free baked goods etc. Compared to costa, starbucks, o'briens, BBs etc., they are a cut above. But there are definitely much better artisan/specialty coffee shops around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I absolutely love Starbucks. Get myself a cappuccino there fairly often. It's mild (important for me) and has a distinctive flavour. In my opinion, the other larger chains I have tried have been muck (insomnia, costa etc.).

Though very recently I have been drinking coffee from 7Wonders in the IFSC - very nice indeed. The only one I like more than Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

I was at the Websummit two weeks ago and popped over to the Starbucks near the RDS in the evening because it was on the route back to parking at the Aviva. I can honestly say, without exaggeration for dramatic effect, it was by far the worst cappuccino I have ever tasted. Absolutely dire muck. I genuinely believe it would have tasted better if they'd made it with Kenco instant. Never again will I be caught inside a Starbucks if I've any other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

They're both muck. Thankfully all the big chains are. They sell a lifestyle as opposed to coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Anything but Starbucks.

• Advertisement

They're both muck. Thankfully all the big chains are. They sell a lifestyle as opposed to coffee

thankfully?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭peteroregan

Christ so many snobs with so little clue. Oh it's a big chain that's got to be muck. The same people probably won't listen to U2 or any other mainstream bands because they're popular. Must be so hard to be a hipster.

Jezek wrote: »
    thankfully?

If the big chains were nice, I'd have never found the likes of 3fe or coffee angel. Neither would we have had this new wave of coffee that's came about over the last 2-3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Starbucks were run outa town in Ranelagh and Dalkey. Not everybody likes coffee that tastes like cardboard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭peteroregan

aphex™ wrote: »
    Starbucks were run outa town in Ranelagh and Dalkey. Not everybody likes coffee that tastes like cardboard.

Did they not understand that the sleeve was to protect their hand from getting burnt, not to be eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

I don't like insomnia or Starbucks. If I was pushed I'd go for insomnia. I just recently discovered the barista training school on South Anne st and the coffee is excellent, by far the best I've had in town in a long time. And it's reasonable and all the staff are lovely too. Would highly recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The gresham does a nice take away coffee for 2.50. It's a push button machine but they'll give it to you stronger if you ask.
    Must remember south Anne St next time I'm over that way

Christ so many snobs with so little clue. Oh it's a big chain that's got to be muck. The same people probably won't listen to U2 or any other mainstream bands because they're popular. Must be so hard to be a hipster.

that's not very nice

PennyWren wrote: »
    I don't like insomnia or Starbucks. If I was pushed I'd go for insomnia. I just recently discovered the barista training school on South Anne st and the coffee is excellent, by far the best I've had in town in a long time. And it's reasonable and all the staff are lovely too. Would highly recommend it

Try coffeeangel across the road. Best place in Dublin for my money

Trust me, I'd love if there was a coffee angel on every corner, it's not trying to be a hipster (I still wear bootleg jeans for Christ sake) it's trying to find the nicest coffee out there. So far none of the chains provide that. Yeah they've comfy seating and gigantic cups, but I'd rather a few plastic seats and brilliant coffee than Nescafé

• Advertisement

Trust me, I'd love if there was a coffee angel on every corner, it's not trying to be a hipster (I still wear bootleg jeans for Christ sake) it's trying to find the nicest coffee out there. So far none of the chains provide that. Yeah they've comfy seating and gigantic cups, but I'd rather a few plastic seats and brilliant coffee than Nescafé

I wouldn't argue with someone who came on the Coffee forum just to give out about people who really love coffee. Strange that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    Just wondering what do people prefare, Insomnia or Starbucks? I just finished a Starbucks about 20-30 minutes ago. It was okay. In saying that, I had an Insomnia last week and it was absoutely out of this world well - for me anyway. I used to swear by Starbucks. To me, it was the only coffee co that was worth getting the bus into town & queing for an hour or so for. Now though, I realise there are far superior coffee shops out there, I love Insomnia and a few others, and I'm am happy to say that today - was my last EVER Starbucks and I'm happy about that. So. What do you prefer? Insomnia or Starbucks.

(For me it's a deffinate thumbs up for Insomnia and thumbs down for Starbucks :) )

Hi Bobby!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Giving out to people who are interested and enjoy coffee, and also care about quality. Must be so hard to be an annoying internet poster.

Are you saying Starbucks and Insomnia are as good or better than the places mentioned?

It's like saying people are hipsters or snobs for preferring Jo Burger or Bunsen or any decent burger place to McDonalds and Burger Kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

If I had to purchase anything in either it would be a hot chocolate!!

Starbucks doesn't seem to have any coffee in their coffees,
    Insomnia is incredibly bitter and I can't stomach the stuff.
    Costa do a nice hot chocolate. Actually I had one in Birmingham airport recently and had to beg him not to put syrup in the chocolate. Some things are just going too far....

Absolute thumbs up for Coffee Angel in South Anne Street.

Had a coffee in a place called Michel in Foxrock village, really nice espresso. So nice I had a latte too, which was also exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Dublin Barista School on St. Anne Street is excellent for €2 for a take away coffee. I have yet to have a ****ty coffee from it.

I was in Starbucks yesterday and no joke, the Barista made 4 wrong coffees in a row and didnt see anything wrong with it. He just laughed it off. It would have been funny, if I didnt have to stand for nearly 10 mins for a coffee.

I know it sounds bad as some people will tell you its "their job". But its hard to be passionate about making amazing coffee everyday if you are paid €8.65 a hour and being a Barista isnt what you want to do in life. Where as the staff in 3FE are actually interested in coffee and passionate about it.

I was in Germany for the Summer and pretty much every restaurant and most cafes just use automated coffee machines(with real beans and milk). Although the coffee isnt perfect, its better than most of the coffee I have had from Starbucks here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

DSCN1489_zps5c8dd9de.jpg

Last week, Tenerife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I know I will be excommunicated for this but if you have to then Vanilla Latte in Starbucks. Otherwise support your local community or use the dublin coffee map supplied by 3fe http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/coffee.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

7Wonders in the IFSC is great. Absolutely jammed at lunch time though.

Advertisement