Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEDR discretionary letter?

Options
  • 26-01-2015 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

If trying to submit an application to the IEDR for a discretionary domain, how should that letter be formatted?

It's for a pre-existing personal blog currently hosted elsewhere, so the request is for something like nameoftheblog.ie. Obviously a request needs to be a made, and a link given to the current site, but to whom should the letter be addressed? Dear Sirs? To Whom It May Concern? Dear Elders of the Internet?

I've scoured Google for hours in search of an answer regards the specifics, but I can find nothing so far. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

DivingDuck wrote: »
    If trying to submit an application to the IEDR for a discretionary domain, how should that letter be formatted?

It's for a pre-existing personal blog currently hosted elsewhere, so the request is for something like nameoftheblog.ie. Obviously a request needs to be a made, and a link given to the current site, but to whom should the letter be addressed? Dear Sirs? To Whom It May Concern? Dear Elders of the Internet?

I've scoured Google for hours in search of an answer regards the specifics, but I can find nothing so far. Any help would be appreciated!

I wouldnt overthink it DD, I doubt you get extra credit for specific formats. Polite and semi-formal should do the job.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please find below............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Thanks for that, Graham! The prompt response is appreciated.

Another question: how difficult is it getting a discretionary domain, does anyone know? Would anyone be willing to share their experiences of success or rejection?

Is "I'm Irish and resident in Ireland and I've been blogging under this title for two or three years" a sufficiently valid claim or is it a waste of time?

I'd say you're fairly safe, I've never had a problem getting a discretionary name.

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

just bullsh1t them like you'd bullsh1t anyone else. if it's rejected for some reason, get the refund off the registrar and try again in a few months. it all depends who's approving. some days you'll get somebody who just approves everything

i remember back around 2008, chambers of ireland let chambers.ie drop and I sent some letter saying I was opening a shop called chambers. i got the domain with its pagerank of 6 but the IEDR sent a letter a few months later asking for proof of my shop or they're taking the domain back. and they did.

• Advertisement

just bullsh1t them like you'd bullsh1t anyone else. if it's rejected for some reason, get the refund off the registrar and try again in a few months. it all depends who's approving. some days you'll get somebody who just approves everything

OP appears to exactly met the criteria for a discretionary, sprinkling the application with B/S is only likely to complicate things.

i remember back around 2008, chambers of ireland let chambers.ie drop and I sent some letter saying I was opening a shop called chambers. i got the domain with its pagerank of 6 but the IEDR sent a letter a few months later asking for proof of my shop or they're taking the domain back. and they did.

Ring back in a different voice and get a different quote? Sounds curiously familiar...

I'm assuming they only contacted you again since the original owners wanted it back, or do they go around checking all the domains periodically? If I you changed your content or site focus later on, would you lose the domain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Ring back in a different voice and get a different quote? Sounds curiously familiar...

I'm assuming they only contacted you again since the original owners wanted it back, or do they go around checking all the domains periodically? If I you changed your content or site focus later on, would you lose the domain?

oh ya, chambers ireland obviously blew up a storm and wanted it back, and IEDR pulled some strings. i don't blame them as i think all their old emails were still chambers.ie

i got other domains through the years, like eumatters.ie

it's a PR7 and was pretty useful back in the day when I did SEO and it was easier. that was a government site that wasn't needed anymore. i heard nothing back about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

oh ya, chambers ireland obviously blew up a storm and wanted it back, and IEDR pulled some strings. i don't blame them as i think all their old emails were still chambers.ie

i got other domains through the years, like eumatters.ie

it's a PR7 and was pretty useful back in the day when I did SEO and it was easier. that was a government site that wasn't needed anymore. i heard nothing back about that.

That's a direct breach of their own policies.
    However if you misrepresented the facts when you applied for the domain name then you are also in breach of the policies and they would be entitled to terminate the registration

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

A domain name is a string of characters. It is not a website.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info, but I think I will leave it and just go with a .com for the moment.

Good G to know the process for if I want to revisit the idea in the future, though, so thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Would it not be easier to just register a business name with the CRO and get the domain name on that basis?

Would it not be easier to just register a business name with the CRO and get the domain name on that basis?

It's not at all difficult to get a discretionary domain name, I wouldn't bother registering a business name unless you're starting a business.

Advertisement