Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alex Jones = Anti-Intellectual Ignoramus

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I dont like Jones at all really, but you sure do have a point there.

Upon reflection he is an idiot, in the same way Rush Limbaugh is an idiot or Michael Moore. Alan Sugar is also an idiot so being good at making money doesn't make someone not an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

That level of spite is unnecessary Diogenes. Why do you suppose he's an idiot as opposed to a cynical businessman making a substantial amount of money out of publicizing whatever floats? Maybe he doesn't care what he's publicizing, as long as it sells. Hmmm, that would be most of the media in general hehe.

Jones didn't even made a cursory check. Listen to the interview where Unsecured Coins explains to Jones he's been had, Jones' reaction is priceless, first dumbfounded, then claiming that UC is a liar like his "father the devil" and then claiming that it's irrelevant because he (Jones) has a cousin who is in the military and has gotten an actual chip anyway.

It's the pathetic obfuscating of a idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Seriously, this guy is your champion? Is this the best you have?

The man sounds like a raving loony...

I would not be surprised if he had been replaced by a clone or else a robot , by the reptillians , maybe that is why you think he is a raving loony , he might be a robotoid , what do you think ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Falling for disinfo doesn't make you an idiot. I bet you fall for a lot of disinfo Diogenes, and take it as fact. That's why agencies like the CIA or the NSA get paid a lot of money.

Kernel wrote: »
    Falling for disinfo doesn't make you an idiot.

Failing to make even a cursory attempt to independently verify the facts does however make you an idiot.
    I bet you fall for a lot of disinfo Diogenes, and take it as fact.

Oh you do, do you? Don't suppose you have any evidence to support this claim? No?
    That's why agencies like the CIA or the NSA get paid a lot of money.

Apparently all you need to fool Alex Jones is a rubber stamp, a couple of JPGs and his own gullibility, seems like the CIA and NSA disinfo budget is over inflated.

Diogenes wrote: »
    Failing to make even a cursory attempt to independently verify the facts does however make you an idiot.

An idiot is someone with the intelligence level under that of a 3 year old. Alex Jones runs one of the most successful conspiracy websites, radio shows and makes documentaries. Ergo, Alex Jones is not an idiot. You are therefore wrong. QED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Penn

An idiot is someone with the intelligence level under that of a 3 year old. Alex Jones runs one of the most successful conspiracy websites, radio shows and makes documentaries. Ergo, Alex Jones is not an idiot. You are therefore wrong. QED.

In fairness, Jade Goody was rich, and she was famous because she was an idiot.

Without getting into namecalling, Alex Jones took one piece of information, over the internet from someone he never met, didn't check it, didn't verify its authenticity, and pretty much proclaimed it as fact. For a man in his position, with the following he has, it was very foolish of him not to check it.

If he posts something on his website, talks about it on his radio show or includes it in his documentary, he has to have checked and verified all the information, because being caught to be distributing false information will do more harm to him than anyone, because people will stop listening to what he has to say. And then he won't be so successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

In fairness, Jade Goody was rich, and she was famous because she was an idiot.

Without getting into namecalling, Alex Jones took one piece of information, over the internet from someone he never met, didn't check it, didn't verify its authenticity, and pretty much proclaimed it as fact. For a man in his position, with the following he has, it was very foolish of him not to check it.

If he posts something on his website, talks about it on his radio show or includes it in his documentary, he has to have checked and verified all the information, because being caught to be distributing false information will do more harm to him than anyone, because people will stop listening to what he has to say. And then he won't be so successful.

Jones is just like Fox news. He is pandering to people who already believe in the subject matter and who are very happy to have these beliefs reinforced or confirmed. People who take this one extreme or the other don't want to look too closely at what's clearly wrong with what they are being told. Stage 1: Make lot's of assumptions. Stage 2: Go to place that best agrees with these assumptions for confirmation. Stage 3: Sit back in the knowledge that you were right all along.

I remember the time Fox news were running support for the war in Iraq. They had a series of Hollywood actors in showing support and then two lesbian communists against the war. Funnily it's pretty much exactly the way the 'truth movement' operates. It seems the truth is a more subjective thing than I used to think.

An idiot is someone with the intelligence level under that of a 3 year old.

An idiot is also defined as someone who is "foolish or stupid".
    Alex Jones runs one of the most successful conspiracy websites, radio shows and makes documentaries.

In the land of the blind a one eyed man is king.

Alex Jones is an idiot who rants about stuff than panders to the delusional paranoid fantasies of other idiots.

Ergo, Alex Jones is not an idiot. You are therefore wrong. QED.

To display your woeful use of logic you are basically saying;

"Mc Donalds are the largest restaurant franchise in the world, ergo Mc Donalds food must be the best in the world".

PS any examples of that CIA disinfo I bought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

the delusional paranoid fantasies of other idiots.

You're walking very close to the line where you're making comments about other users on this forum.

Please don't cross it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

Okay Diogenes here are "7 clearly faked news stories that fooled the Mainstream Media".

http://www.cracked.com/article_17318_p2.html

It happens. Get over it.

IT was a good story though. Most interesting though I thought was the fact that Jones has a cousin in the army.

Here the DHS lists the alternative media (including those with Indymedia connections?) as potential terrorists.

So that backs up the claim the Jones at face value with his following is a threat to the state.

http://www.propagandamatrix.com/articles/may2009/050409_alternative_media.htm

"Mc Donalds are the largest restaurant franchise in the world, ergo Mc Donalds food must be the best in the world".

Nope it is saying that whoever made the decisions that made McDonalds such a money-making machine is no idiot. In fact it is more impressive given the quality of the food.

PS any examples of that CIA disinfo I bought?

Not CIA but...You were adamant for sooo long that Palestine broke the cease-fire in the recent attack on Gaza.

Okay Diogenes here are "7 clearly faked news stories that fooled the Mainstream Media".

http://www.cracked.com/article_17318_p2.html

It happens. Get over it.

One of your stories comes from the 1930s. Get over it. Furthermore many of them are either mild little fluff pieces, pieces in foreign media, or stories leapt on by a station that clearly has a bias against democrats, and an loose grasp of the concept of fair and balanced.

Claims about RFID chipping is a central tenet of Jones claims about the NWO, and here we see the level of proof he requires to run with what he considers to be a massive story.

IT was a good story though. Most interesting though I thought was the fact that Jones has a cousin in the army.

Of course Jones has a cousin in the military, and gullible isn't in the dictionary.
    Here the DHS lists the alternative media (including those with Indymedia connections?) as potential terrorists.

http://www.propagandamatrix.com/articles/may2009/050409_alternative_media.htm

Do you have a non biased source for that claim?
    So that backs up the claim the Jones at face value with his following is a threat to the state.

[url][/url]
    That sentence isn't even english. What on earth are you trying to say.

Nope it is saying that whoever made the decisions that made McDonalds such a money-making machine is no idiot.

I'm not saying that either, You do know what an analogy is don't you?

Not CIA but...You were adamant for sooo long that Palestine broke the cease-fire in the recent attack on Gaza.

So those Palestinian mortar attacks were CIA propaganda?

My logic is woeful is it? And yet I never said Alex Jones was the 'best' at anything, I merely stated the fact that he is not an idiot. I think you'll find that the head of McDonalds Corporation is not an 'idiot' either. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

My logic is woeful is it? And yet I never said Alex Jones was the 'best' at anything,

Ahem
    you wrote:
    Alex Jones runs one of the most successful conspiracy websites, radio shows and makes documentaries. Ergo, Alex Jones is not an idiot.

You're saying Alex Jones runs an successful website therefore Alex Jones isn't an idiot.
    I merely stated the fact that he is not an idiot.

And your reasoning is that he is not an idiot because he runs a successful conspiracy website.

Alex Jones peddles the crap a certain segement of the public swallows, this in your mind makes him a success.
    I think you'll find that the head of McDonalds Corporation is not an 'idiot' either. :rolleyes:

Again the point is flying far over your head, you're equating popularity with success. The fact that Alex Jones makes money and runs his websites makes him not an idiot in your mind.

This is your argument not mine.

:cool::cool::cool::eek::confused::confused::pac::p;):rolleyes::):D

You're saying Alex Jones runs an successful website therefore Alex Jones isn't an idiot.

OMG... No, I'm saying a man cannot be an idiot if he runs one of the most successful conspiracy theory websites, radio programmes and also writes/produces popular documentaries. Not an idiot. Get it?
    Again the point is flying far over your head, you're equating popularity with success. The fact that Alex Jones makes money and runs his websites makes him not an idiot in your mind.

I think it's perfectly clear who's head is under the flying point here Diogenes. I'll give you a clue: It's not me.

The moral of the story here is to be more careful before describing people as idiots, kthxbye.

two definitions of idiot being used here, so there won't be agreement. However I think your both right.

He's not neurologically retarded but he basically peddles tabloid sensationalism and generally acts like a 35 year old Cartman. I can't see much of a difference really between his delivery and that of conservative radio talk show hosts. He's so angry and just spouts verbal diarrhea from whatever is upsetting him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Why has this thread not been Locked?????????

two definitions of idiot being used here, so there won't be agreement. However I think your both right.

He's not neurologically retarded but he basically peddles tabloid sensationalism and generally acts like a 35 year old Cartman. I can't see much of a difference really between his delivery and that of conservative radio talk show hosts. He's so angry and just spouts verbal diarrhea from whatever is upsetting him.

That doesn't make him an idiot by either definition though nyarlo, I think Rush Limbaugh and Bill O' Reilly talk a lot of ****e and I don't like them as people, but I can still acknowledge that they are intelligent men. ;)

• Advertisement

That doesn't make him an idiot by either definition though nyarlo, I think Rush Limbaugh and Bill O' Reilly talk a lot of ****e and I don't like them as people, but I can still acknowledge that they are intelligent men. ;)

I don't know if he's an idiot as I can't really bear to listen to that much of him. But he's an unpleasant human being that's for sure.

Ah now this is where you overstepped the bounds of Possibility, ya had me in yer corner up to this point, but claimin that Bill O' Reilly is anything but a NWO knucledraggin Shill is stretchin the boiunds of our friendship
    :D:D:D:D

One of your stories comes from the 1930s. Get over it. Furthermore many of them are either mild little fluff pieces, pieces in foreign media, or stories leapt on by a station that clearly has a bias against democrats, and an loose grasp of the concept of fair and balanced.

Claims about RFID chipping is a central tenet of Jones claims about the NWO, and here we see the level of proof he requires to run with what he considers to be a massive story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

He does 4 hours of audio a day, has 2 websites and makes documentaries and produces others. He has staff that would be responsible for fact checking, maybe they let him down.

Do you have a non biased source for that claim?
    [/quote]

Yep. http://www.tdbimg.com/files/2009/04/30/-hsra-domestic-extremism-lexicon_165213935473.pdf
    That sentence isn't even english. What on earth are you trying to say.

It is.

It's all the right words not neccesarily in the right order.

I'm not saying that either, You do know what an analogy is don't you?

Its what the telly's were before digitalogy.

That was a weak, weak analogy though Diogenes.

http://www.tdbimg.com/files/2009/04/...5213935473.pdf

intriguing to see how these Fcukers think, and the reasoning for pigeonholing most of (non WASP) society into nice easy to understand categories, all of which are obviously EVIL and antiAmerica, even the ones that are trying to free America, they're the worst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

He does 4 hours of audio a day, has 2 websites and makes documentaries and produces others. He has staff that would be responsible for fact checking, maybe they let him down.

Irrelevant it's called the Alex Jones show, he should take responsibility for the fact checking. If he gets something wrong, he should apologise not accuse someone of being the spawn of satan.

Sigh. Thats a lexicon SkG not a list of media organisations that are considered terrorists.
    It is.

It's all the right words not neccesarily in the right order.

So you admit it doesn't make any sense then?

That was a weak, weak analogy though Diogenes.

No it's an excellent analogy, people are equating popularity with success and intelligence. By that rational Fox News is the most intelligent and best news organisation in America.
    Kernel wrote:
    OMG... No, I'm saying a man cannot be an idiot if he runs one of the most successful conspiracy theory websites, radio programmes and also writes/produces popular documentaries. Not an idiot. Get it?

And I'm saying he can be. Success doesn't equal intelligence in every field.
    The moral of the story here is to be more careful before describing people as idiots, kthxbye.

RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!

No it's an excellent analogy, people are equating popularity with success and intelligence.

Come now.

What was said was that:

popularity + success = intelligence or at least is an indicator

What you are trying to say was said by Kernel is that:

popularity = success and intelligence

That is why your McDonalds analogy fell short.

You equated the quality of the product with intelligence rather than the success of the company with intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Why has this thread not been Locked?????????

Because people are still discussing it ... people like you.

If you've a problem with a post then report it.

Ah now this is where you overstepped the bounds of Possibility, ya had me in yer corner up to this point, but claimin that Bill O' Reilly is anything but a NWO knucledraggin Shill is stretchin the boiunds of our friendship
    :D:D:D:D
    http://www.tdbimg.com/files/2009/04/...5213935473.pdf

intriguing to see how these Fcukers think, and the reasoning for pigeonholing most of (non WASP) society into nice easy to understand categories, all of which are obviously EVIL and antiAmerica, even the ones that are trying to free America, they're the worst.

Come now.

What was said was that:

popularity + success = intelligence or at least is an indicator

What you are trying to say was said by Kernel is that:

popularity = success and intelligence

That is why your McDonalds analogy fell short.

You equated the quality of the product with intelligence rather than the success of the company with intelligence.

What happening here is a pathetic attempt at semantics. No one is questioning the intelligence of Glen Beck or Bill O Reilly, but this specific thread is about Alex Jones's Intelligence. I've provided a specific example of Alex Jones' indifference to basic fact checking or journalistic standards. Jones' claims he is a credible source for alternative news, but as a simple ruse by a n amateur displayed Jones fact checking can be charitably described as "lax". In other media organisations, credible media organisations such a lapse would have resulted in an on air apology, a government inquiry, or a media witch hunt. Jones just accuses the person who exposes his limited journalist standards as being Damien.

It's a damning example of the shoddy standards of Jones' work.

O' Reilly isn't smart at all, though he has the gift for the gab, not a particularly special talent but no matter, if you see that interview with Dawkins he stumbles for words he's so out of his depth. Beware of media organizations and the stories they don't publish folks. (In addition to the half truths they propound, and the evidence is overwhelming for anyone who cares to check).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So its ok for Alex Jones to present unchecked, unverified and falsified material as fact, yet when Larry Silverstein uses the term 'pull it' he takes it out of context and uses it against him

He is a hypocritical chancer

OK. This guys name is "unsecured coins" which is an obvious bastardization of "Loose Change" so he can't be considered neutral.

It seems to me he purposely entrapped Jones and then gloated after. Not to excuse Jones either.

Seems to me most of the so called skeptics on the skeptic board fell for it too. What does that tell you?

Lacking integrity yes, but an anti-intellectual ignoramus on the basis of this, hell no. You all make it sound as if you have never been fooled before.

The point still stands that to be as successful as Jones (he must be at the absolute top of his field) and have the enormous following following the pied-piper is not consistent at all with an idiot.

Seems to me that people want to establish Jones is an idiot as therefore his audience must be idiots too.

Still don't even get the point of this blatant troll thread.

It's like going into a man utd forum and saying Cristiano Ronaldo is a c*nt. And you are all c*nts for liking him. Here is a video of him being a c*nt. Discuss...

OK. This guys name is "unsecured coins" which is an obvious bastardization of "Loose Change" so he can't be considered neutral.

It seems to me he purposely entrapped Jones and then gloated after. Not to excuse Jones either.

He already had made about 10 videos satirising the truth before this one.

Seems to me most of the so called skeptics on the skeptic board fell for it too. What does that tell you?

That many of us were in on it?
    Lacking integrity yes, but an anti-intellectual ignoramus on the basis of this, hell no. You all make it sound as if you have never been fooled before.

No but taking an anonymous poster who had has made several videos satirising the truth movement, at face value, and repeating the claim ad nauseum without a single attempt to verify the facts makes him an idiot.
    The point still stands that to be as successful as Jones (he must be at the absolute top of his field) and have the enormous following following the pied-piper is not consistent at all with an idiot.

Being the leader of fools, doesn't make you smarter than the fools.
    Seems to me that people want to establish Jones is an idiot as therefore his audience must be idiots too.

Still don't even get the point of this blatant troll thread.

It's like going into a man utd forum and saying Cristiano Ronaldo is a c*nt. And you are all c*nts for liking him. Here is a video of him being a c*nt. Discuss...

Seeing the quality of the guff Jones spouts and how poor his research is, demonstrates that he should be a source of information that should be considered of dubious quality.

That many of us were in on it? .

us .

So you were in on it too? We can't expect you to be neutral on this subject when you were part of a plot to discredit him.

So you were in on it too? We can't expect you to be neutral on this subject when you were part of a plot to discredit him.

Plot. No one contacted Alex Jones. No one set out to specifically discredit Jones He or one of his minions apparently check the JREF forum. UC set up the Joke like a fisherman baits a hook, and Jones went for it. No one actively targeted Jones, they just gave him enough rope to hang himself. No one targeted Jones, no one tried to discredit him. He managed to do that all by himself by reporting as fact a post from someone who has track record of satirising and mocking the truth movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

Alex Jones is entertaining when you first find him, but after a while his a dick, constantly interrupts, wastes time ranting and takes to many brakes. Plus in the last few weeks he has been outed as a crypto- Zionist :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Latest on his prison planet....

Ireland’s draft Broadcasting Bill includes provision to extend TV licence fee payments to cover Internet access - and it’s soon set to become law. Even devices capable of picking up YouTube appear to be included in the Broadcasting Act 2009’s definition of “television:”

“any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus.”

The move will mean more cash in the coffers of Irish state broadcaster RTE, which is about to publish its annual accounts. It’s expected there’ll be little change from its most recent financial update last October, where the broadcaster forecast its advertising revenue would fall €25m short of budget for the year. However, following a cost-cutting drive it’s believed the station might break even.

At the moment you don’t need a television licence to watch online video content in the UK (except when a programme is being simulcast on both TV and the web) - but that could change. Last month the BBC Internet Blog said that if, in the future, “some people stopped receiving live broadcasts at all, stopped paying their licence fee, but continued to consume television programmes, solely on-demand” then they would consider having the Government extend its TV licence fee to cover Internet access too.

RTE’s not the only media company hoping to cash in by monetising web content currently available for free: News Corporation’s could be about to charge us to access its newspaper websites. Its owner Rupert Murdoch says “the current days of the Internet will soon be over;” if he has his way, the online manifestations of The Times and The Sun could go subscription-only within the twelve months. He’s encouraged by News Corp’s success in doing the same with The Wall Street Journal. Like RTE, News Corporation’s newspaper division barely broke even last year.

Well, I think if anything has been proved by this thread it's that AJ could not be an 'idiot', and people should be more careful before throwing such libellous false accusations around about people. Should this spiteful tirade of a thread be allowed to continue mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Well, I think if anything has been proved by this thread it's that AJ could not be an 'idiot', and people should be more careful before throwing such libellous false accusations around about people. Should this spiteful tirade of a thread be allowed to continue mods?

Unless of course it's accusing a government of killing 3000 of it's citizens?

• Advertisement

...and people should be more careful before throwing such libellous false accusations around about people. Should this spiteful tirade of a thread be allowed to continue mods?

Isn't this exactly how Alex Jones operates?

Well, I think if anything has been proved by this thread it's that AJ could not be an 'idiot', and people should be more careful before throwing such libellous false accusations around about people.

I'd dearly love Alex Jones to try and defend himself as "not an idiot" in a court of law.
    Should this spiteful tirade of a thread be allowed to continue mods?

Theres a thread accusing Jews of ritual murder currently active. Some perspective should perhaps be displayed while we are concerned with Alex Jones' wounded ego.

Theres a thread accusing Jews of ritual murder currently active. Some perspective should perhaps be displayed while we are concerned with Alex Jones' wounded ego.

Who's talking about Jews here? From Alex Jones to ritual murder carried out by Jews....... :confused:

I'd dearly love Alex Jones to try and defend himself as "not an idiot" in a court of law.

You made the claim, by your own standards, the onus of proof is on you to prove he is an idiot. Although what such a thread could hope to accomplish - bar causing further divisiveness is unclear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Who's talking about Jews here? From Alex Jones to ritual murder carried out by Jews....... :confused:

You said that calling Alex Jones an idiot was libelous.
    There is another thread on this forum claims that Jews commit ritual murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ok folks locking this thread too. In fairness this was a hard one to watch especially seeing as the whole thing is based on the subjective opinion of a person.

I dont think there are any worthwhile contributions that will be missed out on my closing this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement