Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

SHL Group A
    James Stephens
    Erins Own
    Carrickshock
    OLG
    Boro
    Clara

SHL Group B
    Fenians
    St Martins
    Mullinavat
    Danesfort
    Shamrocks
    R/I

IHL Group A
    Emeralds
    Lisdowney
    Dunnamaggin
    St Lachtains
    St Patricks
    Bennetsbridge

IHL Group B
    Tullaroan
    GBC
    Conahy
    Tullogher
    Gowran
    Thomastown

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

JHC Group A - Galmoy, Mooncoin, John Lockes, Barrow Rangers, Kilmacow, Graignamanagh

JHC - Group B - Piltown, Glenmore, Windgap, Cloneen, Slieverue, Blacks & Whites

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Thinking of making a weekend of it in Cork for the league match, planning on staying in the city centre, easier to get home after a few pints. Anyone know where the hell Paric Ui Rinn is in relation to the city centre, can't seem to find it on any map? I assume it is a taxi ride and not walking distance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Thinking of making a weekend of it in Cork for the league match, planning on staying in the city centre, easier to get home after a few pints. Anyone know where the hell Paric Ui Rinn is in relation to the city centre, can't seem to find it on any map? I assume it is a taxi ride and not walking distance?

3.5km according to google maps. https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=pairc+ui+rinn&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.84607526,d.cGU&biw=1280&bih=900&dpr=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=J6jHVMy9CZOxogSpxYCgDw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&output=classic&dg=brw

The link should bring up the stadium for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Can anyone recommend a good pub near pairc ui rinn for the kk v cork match? The ireland v france rugby match kicks off at 5 and the hurling throws in at 7 and hoping to catch both.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Era I Wilshere

Can anyone recommend a good pub near pairc ui rinn for the kk v cork match? The ireland v france rugby match kicks off at 5 and the hurling throws in at 7 and hoping to catch both.. thanks

The Silver Key would probably be the best place and its less than 5 minute walk from pairc ui rinn

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

good win for Bennttsbridge today
    They will play Fullen Gaels in the Final, who Thomastown beat two years ago in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Anyone here know the current position of the Leinster Colleges senior A championship.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Anyone here know the current position of the Leinster Colleges senior A championship.

1/4s on tomorrow

Good Counsel v Dublin South
    Peters v Castlecomer
    Kierans v Kilkenny CBS
    Colaiste Eoin v Borris VS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Shamrocks got very lucky in the senior draw they should cruise through that group B, perfect for them coming off the back of their All Ireland run, the other group A is real dog eat dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Cbs and Kierans level at half time, 1-3 to 6. Kierans dominated last ten minutes, both half back lines very much on top though

Kierans scored 1-4 in the first ten minutes of the second half with no reply (against the wind), hard to see a way back for cbs.

(I should note, I'm not at the game, getting stuff relayed by a mate)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

After a tight first half, CBS bow out of the Leinster PP hurling championship. Scores were level at HT Kierans 0-6 CBS 1-3. The HT score was a fair reflection as both defences were dominant and cancelled each other out. Having played against a stiff breeze in the first half, one would have expected a strong showing from the CBS in the second half.

The final score though is an indication of how the second half panned out. In that second half, the Kierans defence smothered the CBS attack containing the likes of Scanlon, Butler, Gaffney, Murphy creating the platform for the St Kierans half forward line who with their strong running were the difference between the teams. The CBS had a window in that second half after scoring their second goal when they could have reduced the deficit to a pt or two. Their failure to score sealed their fate and Kierans ran out easy winners.
    Strong for Kierans were Blanchfield, Morrissey in a dominant HF line. Cleere and Keoghan were notable in a stubborn HB line with the former scoring some 65s to boot. Connolly was the pick of the midfield. As for the CBS, their full back line held the Kierans attack to the solitary goal with their FB particularly impressive on Blanchfield in the first half. Murphy was the pick of the forwards with the two goals. I'm looking forward to seeing this guy later on in the year with the KK minors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Should be noted that despite Borris VS being a Carlow school, they always have a strong Kilkenny presence on the team. They had a good 3 point win over Colaiste Eoin at the weekend. There's 4 Blacks and Whites men and 2 Barrow Rangers men on the team as far as I know, but stand to be corrected if theres more on the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

Interesting to see what type of team Cody will start in the league against Cork. I think Cork will put out a strong line up and they started the league strongly at home last season also if I remember correctly. Fear would be that Kilkenny will start slowly due to lack of game time. I would like to see something like the following:

Eoin Murphy, Paul Murphy, Willie Phelan, Brian Kennedy, S Staunton, Kieran Joyce, Cillian Buckley, Padraig Walsh, Conor Fogarty, Walter Walsh, Richie Hogan, Kevin Kelly, John Power, Eoin Larkin, Jonjo Farrell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Do ye reckon Mark Kelly will be given another chance to shine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

I'd say he will be given a chance in the league anyways. Didn't look like a Championship player at all last year. But Cody must think he is unreal or he wouldn't have started the semi final vs Limerick

deadybai wrote: »
    I'd say he will be given a chance in the league anyways. Didn't look like a Championship player at all last year. But Cody must think he is unreal or he wouldn't have started the semi final vs Limerick

An issue we will probably have in the league is that we only have a limited number of games, with no Walsh Cup this year, it's harder to balance the competing needs of not being relegated (lose your first game and that pressure is already very much on) and trying out new players. It'll be difficult to strike that balance, especially in a year when we've lost so many players to retirement. Could be a difficult thing to settle on what a match-day squad will look like before championship starts. Kelly may not be the player he was looking like he might shape up to be but he's surely not gone from championship starter in August to not even a panel member a few months later? Would imagine he'll get a few more runs to prove his worth.

I think he could very well start against Cork, he causes problems with his directness but lacks a bit of finesse but Cody always sees the bigger picture and sees certain players attributes as tools in certain situations. For example Conor Fogarty in midfield.

Its important that Kilkenny start well as if results are bad early on, a mentality of transition could set in. In an ideal world we want other teams thinking things haven't changed and Kilkenny are still the force they once were and thst I believe they still are for that matter.

With TJ and Colin & Mick Fennelly gone the forwards look a bit light but hopefully the likes of Kevin Kelly and Keith Hogan can step into the breach. Has Luke Scanlon been called into the panel?

• Advertisement

Has Luke Scanlon been called into the panel?

Hopefully not for his sake. He was getting horsed out of it in the Kierans/CBS match last week. He's too light for senior IC hurling at the moment IMO. He operates in the midfield/HF line and would be eaten alive at that level this time of year. The U21s are in trials at the moment. He should be allowed concentrate on that team and if his performances merit he can be promoted to the senior panel.

Larkin now out injured and I heard Richie Power has some sort of injury meaning we are short on majority of starting forwards from last year due to missing the ballyhale lads. It will very interesting to see how the forwards will line out now.

Anyone got any connections with Carlow IT? Why can't Kevin Kelly make their team? Has he completely lost his form or is there another reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

The Sunday Game
    1 hr · Edited ·
    Semple Stadium has failed a pitch inspection, less than 48 hours before it was to host the All-Ireland club semi final doubleheader.
    Both games have now been moved to different venues.
    Portaferry v Kilmallock will be played in Mullingar, while Gort v Ballyhale will now take place in Tullamore.

Saturday's AIB All-Ireland hurling club semi-finals have been switched from Thurles because the pitch at Semple Stadium is frozen and the forecast is for the adverse weather to continue.

The two games were due to take place as a double header at the venue, but the pitch failed an inspection today.
    The Allianz Football League game between Tipperary and Limerick, due to be played at the venue on Sunday, has also been affected.
    The game between Portaferry (Down) and Kilmallock (Limerick) has been switched to Cusack Park, Mullingar but will still have a 2pm throw-in.
    The second game, featuring Gort (Galway) and Ballyhale Shamrocks (Kilkenny), has been moved to O'Connor Park, Tullamore and will now throw-in at 2pm.

The new arrangements are as follows:

Saturday, February 7
    AIB All-Ireland Senior Hurling Club Championship Semi-Finals
    Portaferry (Down) v Kilmallock (Limerick), Cusack Park, Mullingar, 2pm
    Gort (Galway) v Ballyhale Shamrocks (Kilkenny), O'Connor Park, Tullamore, 2pm

Sunday, February 8
    Allianz Football League Division III
    Tipperary v Limerick, Templetuohy, 2pm

More details: http://bit.ly/16l8DMA

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0502151742-club-semi-final-venues-changed/

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

Anyone got any connections with Carlow IT? Why can't Kevin Kelly make their team? Has he completely lost his form or is there another reason?

Not sure that you mean - Kevin Kelly scored 1-3 yesterday for Carlow IT. He started corner forward and played the whole game against Maybooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭randd1

Anyone know if the lads have been playing any challenge matches recently? Haven't heard anything so if anyone has any updates please post it up.

Also, does anyone know when the league panel is being announced? Will be interesting to see who could be playing in the league and how it will affect the panel for later in the year.

Great start to the Shamrocks game.

Congrats to Ballyhale, fantastic game of hurling and a great result for them, very assured, top quality hurling all round. Only a point from placed balls, 2-16 from play is some return. Special mention to Joey Holden, brilliant at FB, and Henry who was magnificent.

And while many of them deserves criticism, I have to compliment the officials, let as much as they could go and made all the big decisions and massively contributed to the quality of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭lukin

That was very unsporting by TJ Reid, patting the Gort player sarcastically on the back after he scored his goal. Maybe there was provocation before that but it still doesn't excuse it. I thought GAA players were above this sort of thing.

• Advertisement

Thought Shamrocks were by far the better team. Took their foot off the pedal in the last ten minutes and allowed Gort put a gloss on the scoreline. Great performance from Henry who continues to defy the laws of ageing.

Thought the referee was poor and unduly harsh on the Shamrocks. Appeared to give a free to Gort every time they went to ground regardless of how they got there. He wasn't helped by probably the most stupid rule in hurling, the advantage rule. This rule is hugely punitive on the better players and rewards fouling. The scrapping of this idiotic law can't come soon enough.

lukin wrote: »
    That was very unsporting by TJ Reid, patting the Gort player sarcastically on the back after he scored his goal. Maybe there was provocation before that but it still doesn't excuse it. I thought GAA players were above this sort of thing.

I'm sure that Gort player will get over it in time. Hopefully you will too...

citykat wrote: »
    I'm sure that Gort player will get over it in time. Hopefully you will too...

Typical that a KK man would see nothing wrong with it. If it was a Cork or Tipp player did it you would probably want him banned for life :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

Shamrocks put up a great display today and all you have to comment on is a pat on the back by TJ Reid. I'd say that's more typical to be honest. This goes on in every game. If there was provocation he was dead right, nothing like rubbing it in is there?
    Also I thought the referee was very poor, Shamrocks players were regularly fouled and got no free. At one stage Mick Fennelly had his arm held behind his back and still no free! TJ scored his first free on 48 minutes, I think that tells a lot.

Typical that a KK man would see nothing wrong with it. If it was a Cork or Tipp player did it you would probably want him banned for life :rolleyes:

I think it'd be more typical of most people to see nothing wrong with it. TJ isn't the type of player to normally carry on that way, so I think theres a pretty high chance that there was some reason behind it.

And as for GAA players being above giving a sarcastic pat on the back, give us all a break! You should probably watch and listen a bit closer to what goes on at club matches all around the country.

Your comment smacks of a reason to just try and have a dig at Kilkenny hurling. Lighten up

Jesus, you won't be happy till you get your row.

• Advertisement

Junior D wrote: »
    I think theres a pretty high chance that there was some reason behind it.
    Oh sure that's alright so.
    Junior D wrote: »
    And as for GAA players being above giving a sarcastic pat on the back, give us all a break! You should probably watch and listen a bit closer to what goes on at club matches all around
    As a matter of fact I do watch a lot of club matches but the difference is they are not televised live on national TV.
    Reid should have been conscious of this and displayed a little more decorum.

Oh sure that's alright so.

As a matter of fact I do watch a lot of club matches but the difference is they are not televised live on national TV.
    Reid should have been conscious of this and displayed a little more decorum.
    Why, what difference does it make?

Lighten up lad, unless you actually know what was said or went on between the two you can't really judge.

The Gort player didn't seem too cut up about it either, he just got on with the game. And both clearly shook hands at the end of the match, so I doubt either give a toss.

Thought Shamrocks were by far the better team. Took their foot off the pedal in the last ten minutes and allowed Gort put a gloss on the scoreline. Great performance from Henry who continues to defy the laws of ageing.

Thought the referee was poor and unduly harsh on the Shamrocks. Appeared to give a free to Gort every time they went to ground regardless of how they got there. He wasn't helped by probably the most stupid rule in hurling, the advantage rule. This rule is hugely punitive on the better players and rewards fouling. The scrapping of this idiotic law can't come soon enough.

I actually thought he and the officials overall had a great game, and that Ryan rarely blew the whistle for either side really. I will say Gort got a few handy frees towards the end of the game when they were well behind, but I think overall Ryan was fair with the whistle, even if in so far as he didn't use it much for either side.

Personally I prefer the refereeing style of letting things go as much as possible than the Cork ref style of blowing for everything. It might mean a leaving a few obvious frees go in favour of an advantage, but I'd take a top quality, all-round tough, physically demanding, frantic game like yesterday over a game with 30 frees and lads afraid to tackle in it any day of the week.

Obviously the people that have replied defending Reid are all Kilkenny people. That's understandable; most supporters of county teams will find a way of excusing any kind of bad behaviour by their own players (Cork fans are every bit as guilty). Just to prove I don't have an anti-KK agenda I draw your attention to an incident in the Cork/Kilkenny match in Thurles in 2013 when Henry Shefflin was sent off. A Cork player (Jamie Coughlan) reacted to the red by pumping his fists repeatedly in a celebratory fashion. I was critical of this at the time on boards (see post 981 on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85771166)
    I was critical of it then and I am critical of it now. There was no need for it, he should have just got on with the game and not be such an idiot.
    Maybe there was a bit of previous between Reid and the Gort player. If so then it would have been sufficient to say something to him. To pat him on the back was very childish in my opinion. He had scored a goal so if there was a bit of goading beforehand then he had answered it in the best way possible and the Gort player would have know it without needing to be told.Let your actions do the talking. I just think sledging in general is sometimes taken too far. If you are a good enough player then your ability alone should be enough and you should need to resort to that stuff to gain an advantage.
    Other people don't agree with that, fine that's their right.

• Advertisement

Obviously the people that have replied defending Reid are all Kilkenny people. That's understandable; most supporters of county teams will find a way of excusing any kind of bad behaviour by their own players (Cork fans are every bit as guilty).

It's understandable that Kilkenny supporters will defend him, and it'd also be very understandable if every other supporter did the same
    Just to prove I don't have an anti-KK agenda I draw your attention to an incident in the Cork/Kilkenny match in Thurles in 2013 when Henry Shefflin was sent off. A Cork player (Jamie Coughlan) reacted to the red by pumping his fists repeatedly in a celebratory fashion. I was critical of this at the time on boards (see post 981 on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85771166)
    I was critical of it then and I am critical of it now. There was no need for it, he should have just got on with the game and not be such an idiot.

I'm not saying you have an anti-Kilkenny agenda, but I thought your post did have a hint of trying to just get a dig in, surely you can understand where I'm coming from? It's not as if Reid made a complete mockery of him. I think it was just more mind games as such, that Reid was letting him know that he wasn't getting to him and that he could handle him (obviously theres no proof the Gort player said/did anything, but as I mentioned before Reid has no previous history of this behaviour).
    Maybe there was a bit of previous between Reid and the Gort player. If so then it would have been sufficient to say something to him. To pat him on the back was very childish in my opinion.

Again that is your opinion, but at the end of the day it was a simple pat and maybe a few verbals. Again, mild mind games which in a game like this you can't underestimate.
    He had scored a goal so if there was a bit of goading beforehand then he had answered it in the best way possible and the Gort player would have know it without needing to be told.Let your actions do the talking. I just think sledging in general is sometimes taken too far. If you are a good enough player then your ability alone should be enough and you should need to resort to that stuff to gain an advantage.

He did answer it in the best way possible, and probably didn't need the pat, but I'd say he just wanted to be sure that the Gort player knew what was up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Obviously the people that have replied defending Reid are all Kilkenny people. That's understandable; most supporters of county teams will find a way of excusing any kind of bad behaviour by their own players (Cork fans are every bit as guilty). Just to prove I don't have an anti-KK agenda I draw your attention to an incident in the Cork/Kilkenny match in Thurles in 2013 when Henry Shefflin was sent off. A Cork player (Jamie Coughlan) reacted to the red by pumping his fists repeatedly in a celebratory fashion. I was critical of this at the time on boards (see post 981 on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85771166)
    Maybe there was a bit of previous between Reid and the Gort player. If so then it would have been sufficient to say something to him. To pat him on the back was very childish in my opinion. He had scored a goal so if there was a bit of goading beforehand then he had answered it in the best way possible and the Gort player would have know it without needing to be told.Let your actions do the talking. I just think sledging in general is sometimes taken too far. If you are a good enough player then your ability alone should be enough and you should need to resort to that stuff to gain an advantage.

I really think u need to get over that lil incident. A lot worse happens on a hurling field. Its not a wimps game, its a mans game !!

Grasping at straws there. No harm in it at all. The reason for the pats on the back were the verbal abuse he was getting on the lead up to the goal.

randd1 wrote: »
    Lighten up lad, unless you actually know what was said or went on between the two you can't really judge.

The Gort player didn't seem too cut up about it either, he just got on with the game. And both clearly shook hands at the end of the match, so I doubt either give a toss.

Well said!

I actually thought he and the officials overall had a great game, and that Ryan rarely blew the whistle for either side really. I will say Gort got a few handy frees towards the end of the game when they were well behind, but I think overall Ryan was fair with the whistle, even if in so far as he didn't use it much for either side.

Personally I prefer the refereeing style of letting things go as much as possible than the Cork ref style of blowing for everything. It might mean a leaving a few obvious frees go in favour of an advantage, but I'd take a top quality, all-round tough, physically demanding, frantic game like yesterday over a game with 30 frees and lads afraid to tackle in it any day of the week.

Johny Ryan gave Gort 7 frees in-a-row, 5 Frees in and 2 frees out in the second half. Michael Fennelly gave the midfielder for Gort a fair shoulder and Ryan gave Gort a free in in the 2nd half. Shamrocks should have had two frees in in the first half and a free out at the start of the second and Ryan gave the Shamrocks nothing. They had one free in just outside the 21 in the Gort half in the entire game. A soft free at that for Ballyhale. Could have been a free out for over carrying.

Shamrocks probably had 5 frees in total. Colin Fennelly was fouled just outside the edge of the 21 in the first half. The ref booked the Gort player, but no free in was awarded. He gave a puck out. In general it was not full of fouls and a game played in a fair manner.

Ballyhale should have won it well by 8, 10+ points. Colin Fennelly should have scored a goal at the start of the first half and Henry had a goal chance in the second, but instead he crossed it. Might have shortened his grip and stuck it in the top corner or at least over the bar. Shamrocks did get it over the bar just after it though. Gort were not physical enough. Shamrocks missed two goals within the first 5 minutes before Gort got their soft goal and two point lead. Gort probably should have had a second goal but blazed the ball over the bar. The Kilkenny intercounty players gave Ballyhale the edge. Their skill in first touch and handpassing was too much for Gort.

Shefflin and Aylward were super. Colin Fennelly was quiet enough bar the goal chance and point he got. Aiden Cummins and Cha Fitz were both poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

Couldn't agree more. I actually thought Shamrocks were going to destroy them with the chances they were getting before Gort got their goal. That free against Michael Fennelly was unbelievable, it was a perfect shoulder. I still think Shamrocks found it very hard to come by frees, Colin Fennelly in particular was fouled a few times and got no free. Great to see Henry leading the charge, delighted to see him pull that ball out of the air and score off his left side.

I think you're conflating two fairly different situations. I wouldn't condone celebrating any player getting sent off unless they had committed grevious bodily harm. A bit of verbals during a match is not on the same scale. The Gort player didn't react so I don't see why you're getting so worked up about it. It's a bit naïve to think this wouldn't generate comment when it's posted on a KK thread.

Yes so do I. I don't though like seeing good players getting blackguarded and cynical players being rewarded. At the moment there's little sanction for pulling and dragging as the advantage rule is generally applied. This pulling and dragging generally results in possession being lost. The amendment to the advantage rule should tilt the balance back in favour of the player in possession.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I'm not from Kilkenny and I think it was a nothing incident that you are making a mountain out of a molehill. The reason why? The Gort player didnt even turn or react to it. If I was playing on Reid and he scored and then patted me on the back, I'd lamp him one, unless there was a reason for him doing so. If I had goaded him or did something or said something, then I'd be letting it go. Which is what happened, which leads me to believe that the Gort player letting it go meant he couldnt care less about whet Reid did either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Yes so do I. I don't though like seeing good players getting blackguarded and cynical players being rewarded. At the moment there's little sanction for pulling and dragging as the advantage rule is generally applied. This pulling and dragging generally results in possession being lost. The amendment to the advantage rule should tilt the balance back in favour of the player in possession.

I think most hurling people would agree with this but a problem with letting the game flow is that quite often the "advantage" is to give the free from within 60 yards of the goal because most free takers are comfortable with this range and should be scoring. It makes for a crap stop start affair though. Theres no real advantage letting a guy take 4 more steps (seems to be what refs do now) and hit a pressurised 50,50 ball in to the forwards but satisfies "letting the game flow". In fairness to refs theyre damned either way!

Are they changing the advantage to give the ref time to go back for a free if the advantage turns to nothing? If so that's a very welcome move!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement