Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Purchasing prescription only medication from the internet

• 20-06-2009 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I recently purchased prescription only medication from an overseas website. Then yesterday, I received a letter from the customs stating that the package had been intercepted and the medication had subsequently been seized and passed on to The Irish Medicines Board who will be in contact with me in order to find out the name of the website from which I purchased the medication. After discussing my liability with the guy on the phone, he told me that I have not done anything illegal and that the website was responsible and they would therefore be persuing the case with them.
    My question is, is there any reason why I shouldn't re-order from the internet? And if my package was intercepted a second time, would I be held responsible?

Can anybody please help with this question?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

- is the seller licensed to sell the drugs?
    - did he ask you what other medication you may be on, so that he can confirm if the prescription is appropriate?
    - did he advise you of potential dangers or side effects, and what to avoid (e.g alcohol, driving)?
    - did he explain to you the correct dosage, how much how often?
    - are the drugs really what you were prescribed, does it contain the same active ingredients, effecity?

These are reasons enough not to order prescription drugs online from anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

I would be wary ordering a second time. Do some research and see if it is illegal to buy prescription medication on the internet. It is illegal to sell it so they are after these type of sites. But be sure that you cant be prosecuted before you buy. The rules are very unclear.

I have read somewhere that it is not illegal to buy them online. But then you get sent a very official looking letter from customs and the medicine board hinting that you have broken the law and quoting acts to support this. Im inclined to think that this is a bluff used to make you afraid and want to co-operate with them. That they are just fishing for information. I cant be sure so it is best to try to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would certainly be wary of speaking with them without legal advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

slimjimmc wrote: »
    - is the seller licensed to sell the drugs?
    - did he ask you what other medication you may be on, so that he can confirm if the prescription is appropriate?
    - did he advise you of potential dangers or side effects, and what to avoid (e.g alcohol, driving)?
    - did he explain to you the correct dosage, how much how often?
    - are the drugs really what you were prescribed, does it contain the same active ingredients, effecity?

These are reasons enough not to order prescription drugs online from anywhere.

-Where the drugs made in a cement mixer in India ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Or Mexico.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

19. (1) A person shall not supply by mail order any medicinal product.
    (2) A person who is the owner or occupier of any premises shall not use or permit the use of any such premises for the receipt, collection or transmission of orders or correspondence in connection with the supply by mail order of medicinal products.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0540.html

I believe it is illegal to sell medicine by mail order in Ireland. It is possibly not illegal to order it (except from your own house??? can someone clarify that for me) but it will at least get you hassled and treated like a criminal anyway if you keep doing it.

The IMB are interested in keeping their system of control running, and they deal with various agencies such as the FDA, who like to be kept informed about online pharmacies. This is why they always ask who sent you the medication when they send their "love letters".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭the_wheel_turns

My question is, is there any reason why I shouldn't re-order from the internet? And if my package was intercepted a second time, would I be held responsible?

Can anybody please help with this question?

It is illegal in this country, as indicated by the legislation quoted above^, to accept medicinal products via mail.

I would be weary of accepting the advice of the man you spoke with on the phone. Was this man a representative from Customs?

Unless you have, by your conversation with the Customs Officer (if that is who he was), been expressly told to cease ordering such products from the Internet, it is unlikely they would have any basis for spontaneously criminalising a repeat of the act. I still wouldn't recommend buying from the Internet, it's a bad idea in general.

Try the local pharmacy instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

What are the odds of prescription meds being intercepted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

BogMonkey wrote: »

Very very likely to be intercepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BogMonkey wrote: »

The real question is what are the chances of the prescription medication being real?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement