Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Churches should have suspended ceilings.

Options
  • 11-02-2008 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I was in the Pro Cathedral the other day and was astonished at the amount of space that is required to be heated. I think that this is rediculous in this day where we should be doing everything to conserve energy. These churches should have suspended ceilings and more insulation instead of heating up such a large space.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Halfdog wrote: »
    I was in the Pro Cathedral the other day and was astonished at the amount of space that is required to be heated. I think that this is rediculous in this day where we should be doing everything to conserve energy. These churches should have suspended ceilings and more insulation instead of heating up such a large space.

Our church has a suspended ceiling - but there is an issue with acoustics. The traditional style of church roof greatly enhances certain instruments, or so our sound engineers tell me.

Maybe Robin, as an organist, could shed some light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Digitally reproduced sounds are indistinguishable these days from their accoustic counterparts.

Kind of like coke and pepsi.

Digitally reproduced sounds are indistinguishable these days from their accoustic counterparts.

Digitally produced or acoustic they still produce waves which bounce off ceilings. We are currently at design stage of a large building and the diagrams used to justify the horrendously expensive mouldings on the ceiling are double dutch to me.

Actually, thinking on that comment a bit more, I don't think so.

Are you talking about amplification or actual digitally produced sounds? I play tenor saxophone, and I've never heard a synth that produces anything like the genuine beauty of a real horn being played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Compairing a digitally produces organ to a pipe organ is like compairing the difference between a valve guitar amp and a transistor amp, no comparison also from being into PA systems, the venue would make a huge impact on the quality of the sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTVraVgzC9U&feature=related

Kind of like compairing a Mc Donalds to a four course meal at Shanahans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

That's a load of garbage.
    Have you ever listened to the difference between a vinyl and a CD? The difference between an accoustic guitar and an electric guitar on clean? A digital organ in a room with bad accoustics to a church organ in a massive cathedral?

@Halfdog:
    You should be dancing rave-style in church in order to keep yourself warm ;)

Advertisement