Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Digital TV but want a box to record/series link?

Options
  • 12-01-2015 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi there,

I need some advise from the experts on the forum, as the more research I do on Saorview setups, the more confused I get!

A relative of mine has a fairly new house, which was wired for Saorview/Digital TV when it was built, with a Sky dish as well.
    5 or 6 points in the house, each of which pass the digital tv and sky signal.
    The Digital TV is picking up all of the Irish channels but also the UK ones (BBC, Channel 5, Sky News etc) - I assume this is because the house is fairly close to the border.

What she wants to do now is get rid of Sky but have the ability to record/pause/series link the digital tv channels.
    Is a Saorview PVR box like the Walker one in Power City (SAORVIEW PLUS 320 HOUR RECORDER - WP6500TTR) the best option for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Limpar wrote: »
    What she wants to do now is get rid of Sky but have the ability to record/pause/series link the digital tv channels.
    Is a Saorview PVR box like the Walker one in Power City (SAORVIEW PLUS 320 HOUR RECORDER - WP6500TTR) the best option for this?

It's the only Saorview approved PVR on the market and the only one that's work with the Saorview series link but it does have its problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Have now lost count of the series I've 'lost' now due to the 'series link' issue on Saorview. The Walker PVR is at the lower end of the build & quality end of things. There were much much better machines available from Humax, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic etc but 'someone' decided to 'fix' the series link settings so that effectively the product of one single manufacturer is all that works now.

If ever there was a 'gombeen man' decision made, this is definately one. There have been numerous posts on this forum complaining about the Walker machine. So I guess it's a choice of buy the walker and hope for the best, or go for a non Saorview aprooved machine, and have to remember to set a new recording for each episode of a series.

If it were me, I would dig the heels in and refuse to be manipulated into buying something I don't like. But then I'm a northener, and we like nothing beter than facing down authority and beurocecy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mgc102

MACHEAD wrote: »
    If it were me, I would dig the heels in and refuse to be manipulated into buying something I don't like.
    Agree! but how do I know I don't like it until I buy it!!
    But then I'm a northener,
    On my [not saorview+] PVR the country options are England, Ireland and others, but I can't see 'northerner'. I wouldn't mind if the Ireland option meant anything!! Complain to the equality folk?? I mean if they had U.K. settings and Ireland Settings would make sense but only England and Ireland ! No Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland Settings to chose from! Maybe we should ask for an 'undecided' country setting.
    beurocecy.
    bean there, spelt that!!

Edit, just realised the original poster was seeking 'expert' advice..... I am not an expert in this , sorry.

mgc102 wrote: »
    Agree! but how do I know I don't like it until I buy it!!

On my PVR the country options are England, Ireland and others, but I can't see 'northerner'. I wouldn't mind if the Ireland option meant anything!! Complain to the equality folk?? I mean if they had U.K. settings and Ireland Settings would make sense but only England and Ireland ! No Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland Settings to chose from! Maybe we should ask for an 'undecided' country setting.

bean there, spelt that!!

Ok, Ok so you've prompted me to go and 'luke' this up in a real dictionary, 'bureaucracy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mgc102

mgc102 wrote: »
    ..I wouldn't mind if the Ireland option meant anything!!!

Just to clarify this I meant changing the country options to Ireland on my box doesn't make significant changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

i know its frustrating not to have series link on the non approved pvrs but its something i can live with as they are reliable. My set up consists of a humax freeview hd pvr and a humax freesat pvr so all uk and irish channels covered, and it works!

ok so the inital outlay to start of is expensive, but you are sub free !

kooga wrote: »
    i know its frustrating not to have series link on the non approved pvrs but its something i can live with as they are reliable. My set up consists of a humax freeview hd pvr and a humax freesat pvr so all uk and irish channels covered, and it works!

ok so the inital outlay to start of is expensive, but you are sub free !

Nice setup Kooga. Is there series link on on Freesat?, it's a platform I have no knowledge of what so ever. When I eventually ditch Sky, I might look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is there series link on on Freesat?,

Yes, Freesat has series link.

Advertisement