Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U2 & KOL 08/23/2005 DUBLIN, IRELAND Lansdowne Road????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Interesting but is it true? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunno. Just checked U2 site and they are not booked for any gigs around that time

http://www.u2.com/tourinfo/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

pleeeeaasee be true, that would be class!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

http://www.kingsofleon.com/kolflash.html

No mention of it on their official site either..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

this mentioned anywhere else??
    Seems a bit dubious...

• Advertisement

lad12 wrote:
    http://www.kingsofleon.com/kolflash.html

No mention of it on their official site either..

Yeah but it only goes up to june anyway.

yeah suppose but i heard on the radio that they are going to be playing with U2 on the second night in Croke Park.

rubadub wrote:
    Check out this on the Kings of Leon's website

http://www.thedst.com/newsletter.php?id=73

What website is this anyway if its not the KOL site? You know it wouldn't surprise me if it is true as I don't think U2 would fancy 3 nights in a row at Croker anyway, they are getting too old for it. Unless some Irish guy put the list together as a prank how would anyone else come up with Lansdowne Road in August.

There was a similar thing with Greenday a few months back..There was a site saying they were playing Oxegen but nothing had been confirmed by mcd or their official site..and it was right...so maybe....Would be great to see the KOL live and of course U2..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Unless some other big act are playing, has to be U2. Hope so, just to piss dcarrol off :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

KOL are playing with one classic alternative rock band and another recent arrival both of whom are on tour at that time. There may be a second date at the same venue with a different line up.

U2 are not going to bring their show back to Dublin for one night.

BrianD wrote:
    U2 are not going to bring their show back to Dublin for one night.

Why not? They will be in Dublin anyway. Secondly isn't the 2nd American leg indoor as well, I presume the stage used outdoor in Europe will be a much bigger stage than the one used indoor in America.

Correct, the European stage is not the same as the USA one. The cost and logistics of bringing the tour back from Portugal for a one nighter is prohibitive - certainly more than the increased cost of the third night in Croker. Anyway, Dublin will have got their two nights (and the third in Croker still hangs in the balance) and Lansdowne road is too small (not to mention the elderly state of the stadium). Irrespective of whether they might play again in Ireland, I understand that the line up for this particular date in Lansdowne is already in place.

I understand that the line up for this particular date in Lansdowne is already in place.

Tell me more? So the King's will be playing Lansdowne?? I thought i heard they were playing the second night with U2 at Croker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Unless some other big act are playing, has to be U2. Hope so, just to piss dcarrol off :p
    No thats not the one my thread was about, there will be another one outside dublin, wait and see!!!!!!!!

lad12 wrote:
    Tell me more? So the King's will be playing Lansdowne?? I thought i heard they were playing the second night with U2 at Croker!

Well it's not usualy for support bands from a major gig to come back a few months later and headline their own show. Paddy Casey and Snow Patrol are doing one of the U2 nights, don't know who's doing the second.

Dcarroll, although U2 have enough money to put on any show anywhere at anytime I very much doubt if they are going to play outside of their current tour. As you have read, the band have broken their existing tour schedule in two to allow personal time for the band between the various legs of the tour. I can see absolutely no reason why they would put on a third show outside of Croker on this tour. As I said, it's not exactly if they need the money! Not forgetting the fact that you have to demonstrate where this show could actually be held!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

the fai would have the stadium booked for the france match in early sept and could possibly have a friendly lined up for a few days previous so this gig couldnt happen too soon before then or the pitch would be in a worse state than per usual

Lansdowne Rd is good for small gigs byt way too small for U2 and their show.

BrianD wrote:
    Lansdowne Rd is good for small gigs byt way too small for U2 and their show.

Well that comment for me devalues your credibility as a source of good information on this topic. U2 played 2 nights of one of their biggest shows there for Popmart in 1997 with the biggest screen in the world at the time, the giant lemon, it was an amazing gig, too small my arse.

Far from it my friend - I am well informed! Look at the capacity of Croker compared with Lansdowne for starters. Things have moved on since Pop Mart. Lansdowne is a difficult build for any stage. Given a choice which stadium would you chose? Croker or the prehistoric piles of concrete that make up lansdowne?? Furthermore, there are two Lansdowne gigs in June and another in August so I'm sure they are close to their alloted concert days per year.

• Advertisement

Yeah but your argument wasn't the allocated concerts per year or the state of the stadium, you said it was "way too small" which is rubbish.
    U2 may be thinking of doing a third gig but the high fees being demanded by the GAA for the third night plus the strain of 3 nights in a row probably go against 3 nights in a row in Croker, it might happen yet though. At the moment there are 160,000 U2 tickets out there, a further 40,000 capacity gig at Lansdowne road would be 200,000 which would surely be approaching a level of supply meeting demand. Maybe you know that they are definitely not playing there, fair enough, i don't know anything only what was posted on this thread.

Comet - it is too small!!! Times have moved on since Popmart. Given a choice of stadium they would be mad to pick Lansdowne (though croker is in use in August). Irrespective of what the GAA are charging for the third night the cost of putting on a third show there is considerably less than renting Lansdowne and bringing the tour back from Portugal to Ireland. It just wouldn't add up economically. With a stage in place the capacity of Lansdowne is considerably less than 40,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

it aint gonna be u2 playin, its gonna be aerosmith with the pixies and KOL and Raxorlight, probably gonna confirmed in the next few weeks

bbop...you are right on the money! Hadn't heard about Aerosmith though. Are they on tour?

Sounds interesting apart from Aerosmith....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Anyways, the rumour is U2 are gonna be playing the 3rd night of Glasto, so they wouldnt be able to make it 3 nights in Crokers.

Anyways, the rumour is U2 are gonna be playing the 3rd night of Glasto, so they wouldnt be able to make it 3 nights in Crokers.

That rumour is totally untrue, there were some threads on the Glastonbury forums by some twit trying to stir things up about U2 on the Sunday, the threads were deleted because it was total rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Alright alright, dont get your panties in a bunch! Just something I heard elsewhere is all! And just looking at the lineup on nme now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

bbop wrote:
    it aint gonna be u2 playin, its gonna be aerosmith with the pixies and KOL and Raxorlight, probably gonna confirmed in the next few weeks

any links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

was chattin to a mate about this again and apparently aerosmith are still in discussions about it however the support is pretty much confirmed, they are looking at other possible headliners if they cant reach agreement with aerosmith
    the other possibles are ac/dc, pearl jam, black sabbath(cant see them sellin out lansdown) also franz ferdinand
    nothing goin to be confirmed for at least another 3 weeks tough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Looks like we'll never get to see Aerosmith or AC/DC.....

From **Hotpress.com**

The Pixies and Franz rumoured for Dublin

14 Apr 2005

The Pixies and Franz Ferdinand look set to play headline dates at Dublin's Lansdowne Road this summer

Although there’s no official confirmation yet, the word on the industry grapevine is that the Pixies and Franz Ferdinand are to play separate Lansdowne Road headliners between August 19 and 24.

Both bands will be in gig mode then, with the Americans warming up for Reading (25) with a series of smaller European festival dates, and Franz playing the Chelmsford and Staffordshire V Festivals (20 & 21).

More news on hotpress.com as we get it.

In the meantime, there’s definite word on a new Frank Black solo album, Honeycomb, which is due on July 15 and finds him joined in the studio by such legendary musos as Steve Cropper, Buddy Miller, Reggie Young, Chester Thompson, Anton Fig, Billy Block, Akil Thompson, David Hood and Spooner Oldham.

Enthusing about working with the Stax, Mosley Shoals and American Studios me, Black says:

“This was the only time I’ve been in a studio and had the strange feeling I was witnessing something spiritual. When we were recording, those guys didn’t even look at each other, they closed their eyes and they meant it. I have never recorded with people who meant what they played so much.”

We’re sure that’ll please Joey, Kim and David no end.

Not to be outdone, Alex Kapranos has been talking about the direction the second Franz Ferdinand album is taking.

“I’ve been listening to a lot of Dylan recently,” he confides. “I’m getting really into Highway 61 – it’s so good! That’s influencing more my lyrical style than anything.

“We’re listening to a lot of Bowie too. A bit of the old glam stuff, but also Low, Station To Station and Heroes.”

Songs earmarked for their sophomore effort include ‘Your Diary’, ‘This Boy’, ‘Wee Andy’ and ‘Evil Heathen’.

The Hot Press Newsdesk

Well the pixies and kol are now confirmed for 23 august so they must have got the headline wrong on that kol site.

Advertisement