Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay in Kerry

Options
  • 28-08-2014 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm 24yr old Gay lad that lives in Kerry! Im on all the usual sites and apps for some kind of hope, Gaydar, Only Lads, Grindr... However I'm not having much look finding any guys around my age...

I am getting to the point where I feel lonely as there are not many guys here my own age that understands the whole gay thing who I can just talk to about things and feel comfortable!

I find Kerry very tough and my family don't accept or like "gays" but they know so that don't really bother me to be honest as I always live my own life and do my own thing..

Friends also know but not in a way we could openly talk about things properly...

I just kind of feel alone as in I can't find gay guys around my own age. I would love a relationship but even just a gay friend would be cool as I wouldn't be alone down here..

I pretty much feel like the only gay around and when I see all my straight mates out with there girlfriends/boyfriends it really makes me think .. Is it just me ? Why can't I find a nice gay guy around my age! I'm sure there are some out there in Kerry!

Any ideas of how to try find gay guys/mates my age around Kerry apart from the sites/apps listed above?

Any ideas would be great

Tommy-Kerry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

It really is tough Tommy. Most of my friends would be from the country and they've all found boyfriends or exes or just friends moving to Dublin or Cork.

Most of the apps are focused on location which doesn't help you either :/

Maybe suggesting a Boards meetup for Cork might help? I'm sure there could be a few people in the SW who might be up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Hi Tommy. Yes, it is very difficult. It's one of the big problems of being away from one of the bigger towns/cities I suppose. I know more gay people in Dublin and Cork than I do in Kerry :( Have you tried Ciarraí Amach?
    It's the only Kerry based group that I know of https://www.facebook.com/ciarrai.amach

Maybe if you get in touch and go to one of their social events you might be able to meet a few of your own age group? Sorry not to be of any more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey guys thanks for the reply, to be honest chiarrai amach are mostly lot older as I know one or two who have attended so I don't think id feel comfortable there are theres a big age gap but thats for the reply :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I don't mean to belittle your experience OP, but just wanted to say that living in a big city is no guarantee of interaction with gay or gay friendly people -- it seems to be mainly a function of one's social circle rather than actual location. Of course, being in a rural area probably means more conservative values. I am well familiar with the Kerry dynamic. Do you have even one person you can talk to? It might be worth the trip to Cork for a night out -- I found the bar/club there very relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Aard wrote: »
    I don't mean to belittle your experience OP, but just wanted to say that living in a big city is no guarantee of interaction with gay or gay friendly people -- it seems to be mainly a function of one's social circle rather than actual location. Of course, being in a rural area probably means more conservative values. I am well familiar with the Kerry dynamic. Do you have even one person you can talk to? It might be worth the trip to Cork for a night out -- I found the bar/club there very relaxed.

Hey :) Thanks your your reply

Yeah, I think what makes it tougher is I lived in Dublin last year, was working there for a year... But now I have returned home to go back to college which I was taking one year out but that turned into 2.

I think I even notice it more than before after experiencing Dublin and now back down here.. !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Won't really help but I live in a small town outside Limerick and I am the only gay in the village as my sister is fond of pointing out.

Your best bet is getting involved with the LGBT society in Tralee IT. They would welcome you even if you're not a student. They do weekly meet-ups in Tralee. I went to Tralee IT but was deep into narnia at the time so never took advantage of it.

Whatever you do, try and keep the spirits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hey guys thanks for the reply, to be honest chiarrai amach are mostly lot older as I know one or two who have attended so I don't think id feel comfortable there are theres a big age gap but thats for the reply :o

Did they not run a youth pride event?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DestructiveApe

Don't think the LGBT society in the IT is even there anymore, last year it kind of faded away, doesn't mean it can't be started up again though! :D

Advertisement