Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

going to meet a guy i met online

• 19-01-2013 2:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭

Ok im an eighteen year old guy gonna meet a guy from badoo in limerick..any tips on what to do/where to go and how not to feel awkward ...we will meet someplace public(for safety obviously) ....help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Yeah, definitely always meet in a public place.

Don't worry about not being awkward etc -- just be yourself - chances are he'll be just as anxious as you might be.
    Where to go etc really depends on yourselves -- a coffee first for a while just so you can sit and talk might be a good idea and see how it goes from there.
    Just in case he's not the hunk of rugby player etc that he claims to be :rolleyes: or you decide that even though he might be a nice guy etc he's not for you it's not a bad idea to "have to be somewhere else" after a while. Any chance a friend could phone/text after an hour or so and then you'd have an excuse to leave if you wanted to?
    If at any time you don't feel comfortable just make your excuses and head off.
    If you get on well make another date soon and keep up the contact.
    Keep it light - have a good time - maybe go easy on the drink if you're having any.
    Best of luck.
    Hope it goes great! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

+1

Totally agree with everything there! And I'd always say even at the start oh I'm mad busy, I've this that and the other one so you've that excuse if things get awkward or whatever! 99 times out of 100, they're grand and you have a good chat and a laugh!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Great that you're confident enough to do that at 18, I definitely wasn't. Public place. Costa in the Crescent would be a good idea, have a friend "bump into you" after half an hour or so. If it's going well you can do the "talk to you later" routine, or if not the "am I still okay for that lift" routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

it went brilliantly thanks for the advice lads

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mackD

Even if you don't like someone, making excuses to leave after just half an hour is a no no. You need to be tactful in these situations.
    At least round it off to an hour which would allow for two drinks or so, and then make your excuses to leave. It shows some respect for the date:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭westliferule

I met my boyfriend online about three years ago. At first things were going great we spend all our spare time together and were mad about each other. One day about 18 months ago randomly stopped texting me I had not heard from him for about a couple months so I thought it was over but stayed single just in case. About a year later he text me asking how I was and wanted to met up. I replied asking him where he vanished to for a year but he did not reply. I met with him and he was very different to how things used to be. We went out a couple times and things slowly went back to how it used to be. Recently he has stopped texting me again I am beginning to wonder is he cheating on me my friend joined the site we met on because I had told her that I met my boyfriend on it she was searching through profiles and came across his. What ye think is going on should I just move on?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Glad to hear it went well for OP but regarding the advice that you should have a friend "drop by" after half an hour to save you or initially announce you have to dash in 30 minutes would be a bit premature or pessimistic imo. What happens if you get on great with the date? How do you explain that you no longer have to dash or get rid of the now unwanted friend interruption?

If I was on a first/blind date, I would just weigh up how it's going. If the conversation is forced or there is no sexual attractiion, it is acceptable to make your excuses after the first cup of coffee (in a bar, I'd ensure I bought a round back to be fair). If there is no sexual chemistry but they are a pleasant, chatty person, how hard is it to last an hour of conversation before politely finishing up. It's not like there is a contractual committment to hang out all day with them.

+1 to always meeting in a public environment like a cafe or bar (and letting a friend know what you are doing)

Edit - just reading the post after me - I did not see the dates so did not realise this was an old thread but I guess my advice would still stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

1. Not sure why you resurrected this thread to post this?

2. Not that it really matters but are you female? Not sure why you posted in LGBT forum if you are.

3. What age are you? You seem quite young. I'm struggling to understand how you could be going out with someone for over a year and then one day they cut contact and you just "thought it was over"?? And then he resumes contact after another year and ultimately you’re ok with it?

If I were to give any advice then don’t bother with this guy again. Although are you sure you were on the same level? He may have thought you were just having casual fun whilst you thought you were in a committed relationship.

But yeah, my advice would be to just move on.

Advertisement