Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a Transition Year equivalent in other countries?

Options
  • 04-02-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Doing an assignment as part of my Higher Diploma in Art and Design Education, and have to research the Transition Year Syllabus. This got me wondering - is there a similar option for students in schools in other countries?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

No I really don't think there is something like Transition Year in other countries around the world. Lets look at America and England.
    Why would America with a corrupt education system offer students with a year of fun and little to no study? The majority of Americans are home schooled anyways. It is not the kind of home schooling we think it is; teacher going to your home and teach you. It is more like your parents teaching you or you buy a school book and study from it. Yes there are kids our age who are motivated to study by themselves.
    Here we do our Junior Certificate Exams and then either go into Transition Year or Leaving Cert. Most of us go into TY and see it as a break from studying and exams.
    In England, you'd be like in Year 11 or something. And you'd be in TY in Ireland. Like we receive our Junior Cert Results, they get their GSCE results. They continue their studies in school,
    as in there is no year gap or break. That is why they go into University at a young age - 16 years old minimum.
    I only looked into those two countries because they are probably the main ones. I don't know about Spain, Portugal, France or Sweden.
    I did not do any research to provide this answer and it is only my opinion and what I've learnt from long ago. so I advise you to double check it if you're putting this into a report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Pwee2029 wrote: »
    No I really don't think there is something like Transition Year in other countries around the world. Lets look at America and England.
    Why would America with a corrupt education system offer students with a year of fun and little to no study? The majority of Americans are home schooled anyways. It is not the kind of home schooling we think it is; teacher going to your home and teach you. It is more like your parents teaching you or you buy a school book and study from it. Yes there are kids our age who are motivated to study by themselves.
    Here we do our Junior Certificate Exams and then either go into Transition Year or Leaving Cert. Most of us go into TY and see it as a break from studying and exams.
    In England, you'd be like in Year 11 or something. And you'd be in TY in Ireland. Like we receive our Junior Cert Results, they get their GSCE results. They continue their studies in school,
    as in there is no year gap or break. That is why they go into University at a young age - 16 years old minimum.
    I only looked into those two countries because they are probably the main ones. I don't know about Spain, Portugal, France or Sweden.
    I did not do any research to provide this answer and it is only my opinion and what I've learnt from long ago. so I advise you to double check it if you're putting this into a report.

2.9% as of 2007 of children aged 5-17 in the United States are homeschooled. How is that the majority? (http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d11/tables/dt11_040.asp)

As far as I know OP, American's have a bit of leedway in how the organise their classes in High School. My friend for example (she's American), is in her Senior Year (the last year) and she has a very easy going year because she took all her harder classes and her ACT exam the year before. She takes a lot of electives (Robotics class for example! I can't think of any others right now!) She takes some AP classes for college credits too but that was her own choice! But really they don't have a TY equivalent. I'm not sure of other countries though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

What would be considered "TY equivalent"? You mean a lay year where all you do is watch DVDs in class and do the occasional project here and there? or do you mean a year where students get to learn new things outside the usual academics and do obscure projects?

I'm sure every country have the occasional class/teacher somewhere where he/she/they is lazy and do hardly any work in the class, just like what TY is mostly like for most schools here.

It'll be very hard to find a TY equivalent as TY is different in every school in Ireland, every school have different plans throughout the year, sure, maybe some will do the same projects and so on, but the general jist would be different.

Although I know what you mean. Do other countries have this special year decided to projects and stuff outside the usual academics. I'm pretty sure they would, but more like some schools would run something similar rather than all public schools offering a year like that.

Just my thoughts and logic (:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LillyBob

Thank you folks! It was not for a report, no, more just a look into the Irish Education Syllabi. The conclusion we came to, is that the Transition Year's educational impact on the students, comes mainly down to the efforts of the course co-ordinator. So it varies from school to school unfortunately.

Thank you for your replies! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fkzhzh

i want to know what is the best way to run the transition year and how consist the program of the transition year

• Advertisement
Advertisement