Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Subject choice

Options
  • 12-02-2014 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'll be making my subject choices soon but I don't really know what I want to do . I am keeping a science subject probably biology . I don't know if I want to do Home Ec , history or geography . Also I want to pick up a business subject but I don't know if I'll be allowed as I'm not doing it for the Junior Cert. Any advice would be great. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I'll be making my subject choices soon but I don't really know what I want to do . I am keeping a science subject probably biology . I don't know if I want to do Home Ec , history or geography . Also I want to pick up a business subject but I don't know if I'll be allowed as I'm not doing it for the Junior Cert. Any advice would be great. :)
    Definitely keep on a science subject anyways! Especially if you don't know what area you want to go into, it's always useful!

Junior Cert Business isn't generally a requirement to do any of the Business Subjects in LC because really you're not going to struggle without (you just will be starting off at a different level to someone who has done it!). However, your school may have a rule about it so ask anyways! The business subjects aren't a requirement for any third level courses as far as I know, so it wouldn't affect you too much if you couldn't take one!

In regards to Home-Ec, Geography and History - It's really down to your personally choice! There's advantages and disadvantages to everyone subject! Hopefully some people on here might be able to help you with those but generally speaking, go for the one you enjoy the most! Best of Luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Irishgirl1998

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Definitely keep on a science subject anyways! Especially if you don't know what area you want to go into, it's always useful!

Junior Cert Business isn't generally a requirement to do any of the Business Subjects in LC because really you're not going to struggle without (you just will be starting off at a different level to someone who has done it!). However, your school may have a rule about it so ask anyways! The business subjects aren't a requirement for any third level courses as far as I know, so it wouldn't affect you too much if you couldn't take one!

In regards to Home-Ec, Geography and History - It's really down to your personally choice! There's advantages and disadvantages to everyone subject! Hopefully some people on here might be able to help you with those but generally speaking, go for the one you enjoy the most! Best of Luck! :)

Thanks I will see what I get in my mocks .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

II be making my subject choices soon but I don't really know what I want to do . I am keeping a science subject probably biology . I don't know if I want to do Home Ec , history or geography . Also I want to pick up a business subject but I don't know if I'll be allowed as I'm not doing it for the Junior Cert. Any advice would be great. :)

I'd definitely keep up a science subject. A lot of courses have that you need one as a requirement. Which one is up to you? I'm in fifth year now and do chemistry. It wouldn't require as much rote learning as biology and isn't as maths based as physics but can be very difficult to get your head around.

As regards a business subject I do accounting. None of the others are offered in my school. Our teacher does expect that we know how to do everything from junior cert such ad P&L and balance sheet and double entry and all of that stuff. That might just be because we had this teacher for JC so she knows that we are able to do this and might be different in your case. It's not all that difficult once you know the layout of the different accounts. I can't comment on economics or business. As already mentioned business subjects aren't normally required for college so you might decide not to do one.

With the other subjects mentioned I can only comment on history and geography. I started doing history at the start of the year but switched to chemistry after about 3 weeks. While I enjoyed learning about the history you really have to like writing 4 A4 page essays so do you enjoy English? I do geography also and enjoy it. Its the same as JC geography but a bit more in detail with all the answers essay style ( about 1 and a half A4 pages) You need to be quite a quick writer as well doing these in 15 mins. It does require a lot of rote learning but not a whole pile.

I hope that gives you a bit of an insight into some of the subjects. To be honest you will probably be able to change your chosen subjects in fifth year so just choose whichever subjects you both like and are good at

Blue giant wrote: »
    I'd definitely keep up a science subject. A lot of courses have that you need one as a requirement. Which one is up to you? I'm in fifth year now and do chemistry. It wouldn't require as much rote learning as biology and isn't as maths based as physics but can be very difficult to get your head around.

As regards a business subject I do accounting. None of the others are offered in my school. Our teacher does expect that we know how to do everything from junior cert such ad P&L and balance sheet and double entry and all of that stuff. That might just be because we had this teacher for JC so she knows that we are able to do this and might be different in your case. It's not all that difficult once you know the layout of the different accounts. I can't comment on economics or business. As already mentioned business subjects aren't normally required for college so you might decide not to do one.

With the other subjects mentioned I can only comment on history and geography. I started doing history at the start of the year but switched to chemistry after about 3 weeks. While I enjoyed learning about the history you really have to like writing 4 A4 page essays so do you enjoy English? I do geography also and enjoy it. Its the same as JC geography but a bit more in detail with all the answers essay style ( about 1 and a half A4 pages) You need to be quite a quick writer as well doing these in 15 mins. It does require a lot of rote learning but not a whole pile.

I hope that gives you a bit of an insight into some of the subjects. To be honest you will probably be able to change your chosen subjects in fifth year so just choose whichever subjects you both like and are good at

Thanks ill see about Buisness. Ill choose bio or chemistry. Ill do geography I enjoy parts off. I hate English I don't like writing Tons especially stories. Ill probably do home ec .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Thanks ill see about Buisness. Ill choose bio or chemistry. Ill do geography I enjoy parts off. I hate English I don't like writing tons. Ill probably do home ec .

Just to tell you if you don't like writing tons in geography you will be doing a ****load of writing in a very short time(had to write 7 A4 pages in 2 hours in Christmas test) so it does need a lot of writing. I also hear from some of the people in our year that they do a lot of writing in home ec as well. I'm not trying to put you off but just telling you the truth

• Advertisement

Blue giant wrote: »
    Just to tell you if you don't like writing tons in geography you will be doing a ****load of writing in a very short time(had to write 7 A4 pages in 2 hours in Christmas test) so it does need a lot of writing. I also hear from some of the people in our year that they do a lot of writing in home ec as well. I'm not trying to put you off but just telling you the truth

Ill probably do home ec cause I want to be a home ec teacher. Thanks . And I like home ec my teacher is nice and some topics I like a lot. I don't like writing stories really cause you have to make it up . I don't mind writing in other subjects just English is a bore. I find writing a story in Irish easier.

Advertisement