Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Graphics card

Options
  • 14-07-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have an old Fujitsu Siemens scaleo 600 2.53mhz, p4 i want to upgrade the graphics card, at the moment it has a Nvida geforce 4 ti 4200 128mb, i play football manager 2012 a lot so can anyone sugest a cheap upgrade for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I think thats had its day I'm afraid. Something like a 4850 or 4870 of adverts for 30-40 quid maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Football Manager isn't graphically intensive at all, especially if you play without the 3D effect. Even then it still doesn't need much. More likely your CPU is holding you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vinneyboy

overclock?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Not easy on a locked down OEM PC.

It's probably an AGP board. You might not still be able to get AGP cards new any more, and even then you might need a better power supply for some of the ones you could pick up on ebay. I'm thinking 7600gt or HD3850 type cards will need a 250-300W PSU.
    Shouldn't cost more than €20 for the card tho.

That said you don't want to throw money at a PC that's well and truly over the hill.
    You can build a cheap ass PC for £300 if you are willing to keep your old Monitor mouse, and keyboard. Also if it's an OEM PC you'll need a new Windows licence.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-introducing-the-digital-foundry-pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Vinneyboy wrote: »
    .. i play football manager 2012 a lot so can anyone sugest a cheap upgrade for me.

I guess the first question is why? What do you want to achieve with the upgrade.

Sell the current rig for 50 or something then do what 5uspect suggests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vinneyboy

see were you are going - think i'll save a bit and build a new rig

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You'll see much more bang for your buck with even a relatively low spec machine than trying to squeeze performance out of your current rig. Building it yourself is easy, fun and should help save money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Most modern graphics cards need a decent amount of power so you need a decent motherboard and psu to supply that. Which means changing the whole system. Even if you didn't have to do that a P4 is just to slow for everything. Even for simply browsing the web, most P4s will struggle vs a basic dual core.

Advertisement