Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you know

Options
  • 15-03-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi Ive found a possible match for my brother (5 could be matches)how do I confirm if he is the one ,many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Hi Emma, I guess theres no 100% for sure way to know but obviously you'd need to have checked all others. Is this one of your brothers who was adopted? I'm presuming you mean you've found his entry in the adoption books in the gro? If it is, have you been in contact with the adoption agency to see if they can confirm a first name for you?

(sorry, this post ended up asking more questions than giving answers!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tyview is right- you need to get more information. Can you give us a rough idea of when he was adopted- there may be other sources of information open to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 emma11811

he was adopited in the 60s and is going in to the gro to see what he can find i have elemented 2 of the names and can not find another two I was told years ago that my brother went to find out a small bit of information and this guy did this too the name of the home matches ( st Patricks navan road dublin )and the birth place and job of the BM matches He didnt get her name What should he look for in the GRO to prove hes my brother
    Many thanks for your replies

emma11811 wrote: »
    What should he look for in the GRO to prove hes my brother

He needs his original birth cert- and your original birth cert. Even then- you really need to confirm via the agency that the details are correct- the propensity to get seriously hurt for both of you if the details are wrong- is enormous.

Note- between 1960 and 1980 (peaking in 1974) there were an average of 4 adoptions each of boys and girls per day...... Even with the correct home etc- it could still be a mismatch- the odds are not as concrete as they appear.

You both need your original birth certs- and then drill deeper to make 100% sure its a match.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply it means a lot.The waiting time to see a social worker is unreal (The last time I asked to see one was 3 years ago althought it was 18 years ago)Ive gotten so far now Im getting impatient

• Advertisement

Hi just to let you all know that it has been confirmed that he is in fact my brother.he rang park house and asked just for his BMs name and his birth name and they got back to him pretty quick and told him the names We are both thrilled

Hi just to let you all know that it has been confirmed that he is in fact my brother.he rang park house and asked just for his BMs name and his birth name and they got back to him pretty quick and told him the names We are both thrilled

I'm thrilled for both of you- well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Congratulations to you both :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is brilliant news:)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Thats great news Emma! Really hope things are working out well for both of you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement