Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon box freezing

Options
  • 18-02-2014 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone else have the problem of the Horizon box freezing regularly? Having to restart it every time is getting very annoying, especially when it happens in the middle of a match/movie etc.

Do uPC know what the problem is, and have the capability of fixing it? Have they even ackowledged that there is a problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alan70

Happened on my machine past two evenings. What happened to quality control pre release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Our horizon box regularly freezes when pausing tv and the problem has been getting worse lately. I created a separate thread on the UPC forum but not much came of it, was advised by the reps to ring 1908 and seek technical support. Presume the problems are software rather than hardware related in which case they should be resolved over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

2 hours on the phone over the last 3 days trying to convince the reps that sending a new remote didn't work first time and want going to work this time. We've a technician coming out to us.

The 2 hours on the phone included our call being 'dropped' after half an hour on hold

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alan70

I had a technician out a couple of months ago, very nice guy, who told me that there was a big update due to resolve these issues. No sign of update yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Have you got a NAS on your network. I have a Netgear one and disabled the DLNA service on it which cured the freezing issues with the horizon box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

gandalf wrote: »
    Have you got a NAS on your network. I have a Netgear one and disabled the DLNA service on it which cured the freezing issues with the horizon box.

Yes, i have my cloud storage feeding into the box since the box replaced the router. This one http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Cloud-Storage-Share-Photos/dp/B0047FL85U/ref=psdc12_t1_B0042Z55RM_B0047FL85U

Any advice on how to disable DNLA? Also, will that impact my ability to view/use my cloud files in my other devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sorry meant to get back to you sooner than this. You should have an option to disable DNLA in the admin console of your WD Device. If you disable it you won't be able to stream media to your television via the horizon box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

ive had it just freeze (6 times so far) calling now will let you know result

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Bump

I just had a similar problem, where about after booting, it would freeze, and the remote would become unresponsive. I would have to manually reboot my horizon box, but did that 3 times this morning, and then it would immediately freeze again.

Have the horizon box almost a year now, 1st time that this has come up. I kept my old modem, so the wifi remains unaffected.

I spoke with customer care, who for some reason, couldn't do a factory reset there, so he had to put a request in with engineering, so that won't happen for 24-48 hours, so I'll be stuck with this problem for the weekend. So, the only time we actually use the TV, and we'll have to do a bloody reboot anytime we want to change the channel. Quite frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 jadegreen

mine does that too, what is the point in being able to record 3 channels at the same time if it gums up everything else, I also lose markers for future program mes to be recorded.someone on the customer service told me you should disconnect from the power supply and plug in again after a couple of mins much like turning the power off and on again but removing the plug is the important part , don't ask I didn't so i have no idea why this should be done every 20 days or so she said

Advertisement