Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL provider switchover downtime query.

Options
  • 02-03-2004 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Perhaps this is one for the bb forum itself, but can any one shed any light on the current expected down time for switching DSL providers. I understand that a seamless switchover is allegedly coming but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyone been here before recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

"understand that a seamless switchover is allegedly coming", I sure hope this is true!

I really wouldn't be surprised with a month or more downtime if I changed now. Which is crazy, because you only really need a new IP and a new name and password.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I wanted to changeover about 2-3 weeks ago. My understanding of it is that you have to terminate your current line before you can even apply with anyone. So basically the downtime is from the moment you terminate your line to the point of another provider installing it for you. I believe this would be anytime from 2 weeks to more than 1 month. Well was what I was told when I was considering of changing from Eircom to Esat. I'm not sure about the rest of the providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Well, as I'm lucky enough to have access to Ripwave kit to tide me over, I took the plunge. I ain't going to let "the fear" stop me finally shake off Eircom. Still I think it's outrageous that even though I'm upgrading to a business package neither provider could give me any decent indication of the switchover times. Eircom's own DSL sales people asked me to call Eircom wholesale to enquire about the time it would take, and couldn't even provide me with a phone number, but then again [ahem] they are different entities aren't they! :p

I submitted an official cancellation order today and managed to get the actual cancellation number to which should prove useful when I undoubtably have to go chasing this up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The switchover process is set out in a doc about Bitstream Port Transfer on theComreg site in Jan this year. The process went live on the 27th of January and any deviation from the transfer schedule in that doc (minutes I understand) should be reported to Comreg immediately.

M

Advertisement