Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Tommy Broughan accuses Dermot Ahern

Options
  • 28-02-2004 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

This is plastered all over the front of the 'Dublin Advertiser'. Not exactly a quality news source, they don't seem to like " much :rolleyes: I assure you the whole thing is accurately shown here.
    Broadband Not Online

Labour Party Spokesperson on Communications, Deputy Tommy Broughan, has accused Minister Dermot Ahern of a cover-up in relation to the large number of households which have failed the so called "quality test indicator" for broadband.

Deputy Broughan says that he has been receiving constant complaints about both the quality of the Euircom [sic] network and the failure of lines to meet the standard required to upgrade.

Broadband allows companies and private users to access the Internet at high speed and is vital to the growth of E-commerce.

"In view of the importance of this issue to the roll out of broadband I asked Minister Dermot Ahern whether he had sought information from the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) and Eircom on the number of households which have failed the quality test indicator in relation to consumers' request to Eircom for an upgrade to DSL.

"Unbelievably, Minister Ahern replied that he had no function in the matter and that under the Communications (Regulation) Act 2002, ComReg is mandated "to investigate complaints from consumers regarding the supply of and access to electronic communications services, networks, and associated facilities."

"Yet, like many other public representatives, I have received a stream of emails and phone calls over recent months from irate constituents all over Ireland complaining bitterly about the quality of the Eircom network and the failure of their phone line to pass the standard required for an upgrade to DSL.

"I have now contacted both ComReg and Eircom to request disclosure on this matter urgently.

"I warmly welcome the launch last week of the Department of Communications' website, www.broadband.gov, which gives information to consumers on broadband services available in their locality. But it is a travesty that the site does not contain a single word about the quality test indicators and that Minister

Ahern refuses to take any responsiblity for what may be one of the greatest scandals in Irish economic history.

"At a recent meeting of the Dail Communications Committee, Smart telecom (an Eircom competitor) alleged that Eircom had slashed investment from €504 million in 2001, to €312 million in 2002, to €197 million in 2003. Yet there is uproar about the poor quality of large parts of the Eircom grid network."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You'll see multi-paragraph quoting like that in old books. It may or may not still be the standard, I don't know. Since Walter Scott died people don't often use multi-paragraph quoting like that.

Nice to see Tommy taking on this issue. It'll be interesting to see whether Dermot can come up with a response better than his last one to Tommy (which was something to do with FRIACO and spaceships) given that Tommy again makes a good point here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Tommy is quoted as as saying

"Yet, like many other public representatives, I have received a stream of emails and phone calls over recent months from irate constituents all over Ireland"

and there is me like a gob****e thinking he was TD for a bit of the North Side only.

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Muck
    and there is me like a gob****e thinking he was TD for a bit of the North Side only.
    Labour Party Spokesperson on Communications, Deputy Tommy Broughan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Good old Tommy broughan, I was the person who highlighted this problem to him in the first place, the first person to e-mail me back when i did that mail shot to the dail.

He still keeps in contact with me and believe me when i say hes 100% committted to the broadband cause and is like a dog with a bone

He maybe only be a spokesperson but we do have someone on our side

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Actually, I thought Aherns response to Broughans last comment was, although fairly condecending, a fairly adequate response. From a few of his previous comments it seems to me this guy knows sfa about Broadband or the mainenance and supervision of. His spaceship comment made his views on Broughan fairly clear. He is in no position to berate or otherwise until he does some homework.

Granted, he seems have identified a problem area; the line failure issue, but what has he added but to point it out? Any solutions or even suggested courses of action? Everyone is aware of it already. Including Ahern. So what has he achieved?

It seems to me this guy is just trying to shout for the sake of shouting. I just can't stand people who whine and moan and expect everyone else to change things for them. He puts on no real pressure and adds no real argument, and therefore, contributes nothing.

An image springs to mind of a child in a supermarket who is going to stand in the entrance and cry until someone gets him the same chocolate bar as that other kid before him.

I don't doubt his commitment; he may really feel he should have that chocolate bar now but can he do anything about it? I certainly wouldn't hedge any bets.

I'll stick with the people whos actions speak louder than their words ... and simply disregard this eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by The Clown Man
    Actually, I thought Aherns response to Broughans last comment was, although fairly condecending, a fairly adequate response. From a few of his previous comments it seems to me this guy knows sfa about Broadband or the mainenance and supervision of. His spaceship comment made his views on Broughan fairly clear. He is in no position to berate or otherwise until he does some homework.

Granted, he seems have identified a problem area; the line failure issue, but what has he added but to point it out? Any solutions or even suggested courses of action? Everyone is aware of it already. Including Ahern. So what has he achieved?

It seems to me this guy is just trying to shout for the sake of shouting. I just can't stand people who whine and moan and expect everyone else to change things for them. He puts on no real pressure and adds no real argument, and therefore, contributes nothing.

An image springs to mind of a child in a supermarket who is going to stand in the entrance and cry until someone gets him the same chocolate bar as that other kid before him.

I don't doubt his commitment; he may really feel he should have that chocolate bar now but can he do anything about it? I certainly wouldn't hedge any bets.

I'll stick with the people whos actions speak louder than their words ... and simply disregard this eejit.

Clown man im not getting into an argument with you but that is the most condescending piece of clap trap ive ever heard, at least hes shouting and at least hes pulling Aherne up over the issue, and that spaceship crack by aherne was unwarranted and a slur on his name

Id lump you in with the crowd of eejits, not broughan, jesus what a bloody comment I cant believe you I really cant

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Shin

Don't worry I'm not interested in arguing and I wouldn't entertain it anyway but that's just my opinion.

But remember it's his job as opposition to shout. That's what he is paid very generously for. But who listens to a person who shouts just for attention? Do you honestly think that he is doing all he can to achieve what he is aiming for? Actually, what exactly is he aiming for? Better Broadband? How? With what? We all know what's wrong but unfortunately, in our current democracy, a Minister cannot just scream "Stop it!" when he wants something to go away. Eircom is a legal entity too and cannot be just kicked around when it has done nothing that is legally wrong. What has Broughan added in his last two "attacks" but a longer version of "Stop it!"

He'd want to get himself more informed about the subject before he throws himself in with the lions proclaiming himself to be spearheading The Labour Parties mission to expidite broadband.

As for the slurring of names, that's just politics - they all love that good old slander. Dermot Ahern made a laughing stock of him that day. Until he proves himself to be very informed and extremely dedicated he will continue to earn no respect amongst his peers. And don't get me wrong, I really do wish him the best of luck in achieving this end, I'd love to see my line test returning the "passed" result, but as I said, I'd hedge no bets with this guy.

What you really need to ask yourself is; "can I be sure that this guy is going to make a difference for me?" Who would you prefer to be Minister for Communications; Dermot Ahern or Tommy Broughan?

And ask yourself why are you praising him? Because he is in the Dáil? Because he has opted to dedicate all his time to the advancement of Broadband in Ireland? Because he answered your email? Or because he has decided to jump on the Broadbandwagon he saw the rest of us on thinking that this may gain him recognition in the long run? Because that's what it looks like from where I'm sitting. Call me a cynic but he doesn't smell genuinely driven to me. Although know that I have been wrong before.

Anyway, think about where his true goals lie before you heap much sought praise upon him. And sorry for coming across so harsh.

The Clown Man over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yeh wrote to dermot ahern on this very issue after his laughable agenda appearence and had a snail mail reply saying he was "investigating" won't hold my breath. also written to phil nolan to see if i get a reply from him been harrasing local engineers since last september who basically said there is no way they can get authorisation to fix lines to take broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Clownman your a gob****e.

I dont think it matters who does the shouting and pointing as long as an issue gets the attention it requires to get solved, such as Eirscum's shoddy rollout of BB in this country. Better that the guy is screaming and shouting over the line failure issue than some stupid claptrap like the number fast food joints in the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

OK folks, I let it go the first time as it didn't escalate but keep it civil towards each other or there will be instant coffee-style bannings. Civility is cheap and it's more fun for us all to read "I disagree and here are coherent reasons why.." than "Oi you, you're a tosspot!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement