Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Fibre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

degsie wrote: »
    Sky fibre rollout is equivalent to a leak-proof public water supply, pure fantasy :)

Sky Ireland launches fibre broadband
    The product, which uses Eircom’s eFibre network, will bring faster speeds to customers from January

My post is quoting from the Irish Times . That was posted on line about 2 hours ago.

As I am with Sky will be interested it see how quickly the service will be delivered.

Will the installation be a seamless as was with NGB when Sky came to the Irish market .

Will we see the problems other ISP have had. Slow speeds, poor installations, lost of orders, no engineers calling , and missed appointments, long delays in supplying the service.

Will call them in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

The Sky begrudgery on this thread is hilarious :D

Yes, but Sky could have handled their PR a little better. I have used Sky BB since they entered the market. In fact I was one of those who agree to try out BB before it was launched.

However, Sky handling of Fibre BB and dealing with their customers was very poor.

They closed their forum on Fibre and said they would suspend members if they continued to ask questions about the product.

Sky have also closed their Irish section on the forum.

For 2 years they said they trailing a product which was already in the market. So what kept them?

In the two years they were saying they were going to bring to the market a superior product. What there are doing now is to resell a product which has been available for 2 years or so.

For my part as a Sky customer. I have been very happy with the service they offered. The CS, Sky give was by far, superior to that give by their competitors and I hope that the problems that has beset Eircom ans Vodafone do not effect Sky.

From a vey satisfied Sky Customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Maybe it's because Sky are only a reseller, they offer nothing new. Sky are a marketing company, have no assets and own no infrastructure and most of all have little experience. Their reselling of ADSL was an absolute mess, they promised people better speeds but could not cope, there was thread after thread of complaints on here as people moved to what they were told would be a faster service only for it to be unusable every evening.

As as user of their broadband, I did not have problems with the service on the whole. Did my research about speeds that would be available. ISP's were stating speeds that are no possible as the infrastructure in Ireland was not up to it. If one was was promised a speed of "up to" one would be looking at receiving a speed of 18/20M. If they were lucky.

Having looked at my own speed with Fibre have been told that I may get up to 70M.

However, I believe that I would be lucky to receive around 50M.

Have a friend locally who lives with 100 m of the cabinet and the max he gets is 48m

Fot the last 12 months or so I have had a SamKnows Box fitted to my set up and my speed has averaged 8.5M. My system at the router 10.2M. I was promised 12M or more correctly "up to" 12M

Several months ago I did have a problem of slow speeds. Contacted Sky and within a few days they had a Eircom Engineer call. He could the problem being my face plate had not been updated. This fixed and my speed was back.

My previous supplier would never calls, answer problem within a reasonable time speeds were never anywhere close to what one was supposed to get.

With them it was always the customers problem from their wiring, routers and to far from the exchange.

As I have posted earlier. Sky has been excellent from my point of view except for the way they have handled Fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

So Broadband without tv is going to be 50euro for the unlimited compared to 45euro for vodafone and 53 euro for the eircom equivalent without the special offer gimmicks.
    I cant see vodafone loosing many fibre customers on that deal. Even with the tv package its still going to be 11 euro more expensive that the "same or equivalant" eircom essential pack at 68/79euro?
    Are they serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

So Broadband without tv is going to be 50euro for the unlimited compared to 45euro for vodafone and 53 euro for the eircom equivalent without the special offer gimmicks.
    I cant see vodafone loosing many fibre customers on that deal. Even with the tv package its still going to be 11 euro more expensive that the "same or equivalant" eircom essential pack at 68/79euro?
    Are they serious?

Have to agree here. Not as competitively priced as I was expecting. Have dsl with sky which can be hit and miss. Was holding out on this before deciding who to go with for fibre. These price figures suggest waiting was a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

So - the SKY tv will still be via a dish - not down the phoneline like Eircom's evision ? That's what it looks like to me.

• Advertisement

Ogham wrote: »
    So - the SKY tv will still be via a dish - not down the phoneline like Eircom's evision ? That's what it looks like to me.

100% that wont change

If Eircom's BB goes belly up your tv is screwed aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Nollog

The new modem sounds cute, finally wireless N, only a few years behind now instead of a decade. :')

What's the upload like on efibre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Any word on minimum contract length?

I think Sky have always been 12 month contracts for everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

from http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/1211/666067-sky-ireland/

Sky Ireland has become the latest telecom provider to begin offering a fibre based broadband service here. The new option will be available to around one million homes from January.
    The operator will be offering speeds of up to 100Mbps over the Eircom fibre network, through a partnership with BT Ireland.
    The company said the service will initially be available to existing customers and will be opened up to new customers within weeks.

Sky will offer two fibre broadband packs - Sky Fibre with a 25GB monthly cap, free local and national evening and weekend calls, and a 12 month contract for €40 per month including line rental.
    A second pack, Sky Fibre Unlimited, has an unlimited data cap for €50 per month. However, subscribers to the unlimited data pack will be able to avail of an introductory price of €30 for the first six months.

Sky Ireland is among the last of the bigger telecom companies to offer a fibre service.
    Eircom, UPC and Vodafone already provide a fibre option to some of their customers around the country.
    Compared to the other providers, Sky's unlimited data package (after the introductory offer expires) is among the cheapest in the market, beaten only by Vodafone who offer a similar package with unlimited landline calls for €45 a month.

Sky will also be offering its fibre broadband service as part of a phone, internet and TV bundle.
    Existing Sky TV customers with the original pack will pay €59 per month during the offer period, and €79 per month after that. New customers will pay €60 per month for the first six months they are on the bundle, and €79 after that.

The company hopes the addition of a fibre offering will help to boost the numbers using its On Demand and other interactive services, as competition with UPC's Horizon offering intensifies.
    It will also be offering a wireless router which it claims uses "smart signal" technology to scan for interference in the home and then select the best wireless channel, to give the best signal available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

If Sky fibre launch is anything like their adsl launch last year, I will steer well clear.

Had no problems with Eircom but when I switched to Sky broadband, service ground to a halt in the evenings on the same exact line. After 2 months I went back to Eircom and problem sorted that day.

Sky customer service were absolutely infuriating to deal with, one look at the threads from back then tells the whole story. I could never understand this myth about the great customer service Sky offers, I have found them one of the worst companies to deal with.

@ saying they would soon have a talk to board on boards for dealing with customers. Well that never appeared, then they locked all threads about Irish fibre on their own boards, then they deleted the Irish forum on their own boards. Now thats great Sky customer service.

You wont see me going to Sky Fibre, nightmare company to deal with.

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement

So Broadband without tv is going to be 50euro for the unlimited compared to 45euro for vodafone and 53 euro for the eircom equivalent without the special offer gimmicks

Are they serious?

In my many posts I have said that the CS from Sky has been excellent. Have been able to contact CS when I have called. Not having to wait for 15/20 mins or have been unable to get a response.

They have returned calls and have follow up problems to see if everything has been completed. From the TV service to BB.

When BT were taken over by VF. Boy did I have problem with poor service, speeds. Never got a call back. All the problems were being put down to the consumer. It was the internal wiring or router etc. spent a lot on new router and rewiring. It was never those problems. Then one day as if a switch was flicked speeds came up.

If Sky can give me the same service and support with the Fibre I am happy to pay an extra €2.50 to get that service.

Spoke to Sky this morning. They were only listing interest in the service.

I have wait this long.. I wait a bit longer.

Yes, they are only reselling Eircom service.

That is all they could do.,

As I have said, do not know what they had to test for 2 years. A very poor PR for the company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

airuser wrote: »
    As I have said, do not know what they had to test for 2 years. A very poor PR for the company

It's been said that theyve waited until customers are already installed and coming to the end of contracts and have connections they are happy with so they can just post a modem out for a self install rather than paying Eircom for an inhouse.

If Sky fibre launch is anything like their adsl launch last year, I will steer well clear.

Had no problems with Eircom but when I switched to Sky broadband, service ground to a halt in the evenings on the same exact line. After 2 months I went back to Eircom and problem sorted that day.

Sky customer service were absolutely infuriating to deal with, one look at the threads from back then tells the whole story. I could never understand this myth about the great customer service Sky offers, I have found them one of the worst companies to deal with.

@ saying they would soon have a talk to board on boards for dealing with customers. Well that never appeared, then they locked all threads about Irish fibre on their own boards, then they deleted the Irish forum on their own boards. Now thats great Sky customer service.

You wont see me going to Sky Fibre, nightmare company to deal with.

I had no problem with Sky or speeds.

Found no problem dealing with them.

But, I do agree with you on the way they have handled the Irish forum on the net and the way the looked at their answering of questions on Efibre.

I must admit their service on their Sky Forum left a lot to be desired. There knowledge of the country and market was extremely poor.

It actually reminded of a Sales Engineer who came to oversee a division in which I worked. He thought that he could employ his English sales methods. Our customers soon sent him packing.

That engineer did cost us business. Took 12 months to recover.

Unless the closing of the forum would have effected Sky Sales it does not matter to Sky.

Sky got very little opposition to closing the forum form those who used it.

Yes. Sky did not ask. It was closed

However, dealing with the people on the ground was far superior then that of the forum

It's been said that theyve waited until customers are already installed and coming to the end of contracts and have connections they are happy with so they can just post a modem out for a self install rather than paying Eircom for an inhouse.

You are in my opinion correct.

But as I have said very poor PR. In other forums I have said that they (Sky Sales and Marketing) have treated the Irish customers very poorly indeed. So badly that I thought that Sky might have pulled out of the market for phone and broadband.

Having read the publicity from Sky one would think that they are selling a far superior product. In fact all that is happening is there are reselling a product that has been on the market for 2 years.

Only for the good CS I have received from those on the ground. I would have departed.

I am delighted that it is PNP and one does not have to require an Engineer to call.

Seeing other ISP's forum about missed appointments.

Let's hope I do not have to eat my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yes they have a Talk To forum on here since the beginning of December - http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1598

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

I'm paying €43 a month for Sky TV and €45 a month for Vodafone fibre (300GB FUP) and phone = €88

Sky's triple play (unlimited download) = €79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Lads correct me if im wrong but is vodafone not the cheapest, €35 per month for up to 100mb = €420 per year
    Sky is €30x6 + €50x6 = 480 per year
    seems the only difference is that the vodafone contract is 18 months instead of 12 months.
    actually if you worked it out over 18 months sky is €150 dearer
    is this correct?

Mim contract 12 months

Yes they have a Talk To forum on here since the beginning of December - http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1598

As quote

Go to the above link there are Sky on this Forum

JAMM222 wrote: »
    Lads correct me if im wrong but is vodafone not the cheapest, €35 per month for up to 100mb = €420 per year
    Sky is €30x6 + €50x6 = 480 per year
    seems the only difference is that the vodafone contract is 18 months instead of 12 months.
    actually if you worked it out over 18 months sky is €150 dearer
    is this correct?
    Yes, I myself went with sky because I didn't want to be tied into a year and a half with vodafone, to me it was worth the little bit extra.

Chances are though at the end of Sky's 12 month contract, if you ring to say you're out of contract, they'll offer to give it you at the 30 euro price to renew for another year

Chances are though at the end of Sky's 12 month contract, if you ring to say you're out of contract, they'll offer to give it you at the 30 euro price to renew for another year

my personal circumstances are I'm only here temporarily, so will be moving, their contract says i don't have to sign a new contract with them should i need to move houses.
    Hopefully move back into a cabled area if esb isn't available yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sky TV on offer at the minute for €26, €10 off and on the legacy Fibre package from Vodafone for €40 a minute with 100 free minutes.

Sky's prices are a bit of a joke really and I think I'll be staying put!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Sky TV on offer at the minute for €26, €10 off and on the legacy Fibre package from Vodafone for €40 a minute with 100 free minutes.

Sky's prices are a bit of a joke really and I think I'll be staying put!

currently getting the legacy unlimited fibre with vodafone for 37euro(40 -3 euro vodafone mobile discount).

currently getting the legacy unlimited fibre with vodafone for 37euro(40 -3 euro vodafone mobile discount).

I used to get a €2 discount when I was with them in 2012, I'm only PAYG now and they've gotten rid of that offer unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what Sky Hub they'll be using?

Will it be the SR102 they use in England?

I believe their Fibre only goes up to 76Mb so maybe a different one especially for the Irish market will be needed for our up to 100Mb?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Wow it took Sky 2 years to launch VDSL and they are charge €50 per month!!!

Really, who are they kidding, that is awfully expensive!

Looks like it will just be the same story all over again, pure marketing to trick people to sign up for it. Really nothing new for the Irish broadband maker, not even really new competition, very disappointing.

bk wrote: »

Looks like it will just be the same story all over again, pure marketing to trick people to sign up for it. Really nothing new for the Irish broadband maker, not even really new competition, very disappointing.

Disappointing if you want to stay with Sky broadband long-term, but for those who are already Sky Digital subscribers, it works out at €36 a month for me. I just wish I didn't have 13 months left on my contract.

Currently paying €43 for TV.
    Triple play is €79.

*EDIT Scratch that, I'm paying for multiscreen so triple play may cost more than €79. Might cost €94.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Sky Ireland on Talk To... forum! Wonders will never cease.. Must monitor for the onslaught :)

Premium Product = Premium Price :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Premium Product = Premium Price :)

I see the fan boys are surfacing :rolleyes:

Anyone know what Sky Hub they'll be using?

Will it be the SR102 they use in England?

I believe their Fibre only goes up to 76Mb so maybe a different one especially for the Irish market will be needed for our up to 100Mb?

My hub says it's SR102, it's definitely not that, they said it'd have wireless N, mine doesn't.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    My hub says it's SR102, it's definitely not that, they said it'd have wireless N, mine doesn't.

It says it had wireless n here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/sky-hub-2013-review

BK,

When did one see any competition in Ireland for anything. Went to buy electrical goods for the house. Prices were all with 25/50 €. I do not call that competition. Cork prices .

Back to Sky.

I sat down recently and put down on paper the offers for the ISP's and their various offers. Nothing is like for like and what suits my needs.

But is swings and roundabouts as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

When did one see any competition in Ireland for anything. Went to buy electrical goods for the house. Prices were all with 25/50 €. I do not call that competition. Cork prices .

- UPC spent 500 million developing it's network, brining 200mb/s broadband to almost half the premises in Ireland and causing a revolution in the quality of broadband on offer in Ireland.

- As a result of the competition from UPC, Eircom spends 500 million building a VDSL network with speeds of up to 100mb/s to over 2/3rds of the premises in Ireland.

- ESB/Vodafone about to spend 500million to bring 1Gb/s FTTH to almost a quarter of the homes in Ireland.

These developments are the real exciting developments. They are real competition. They are driving real massive leaps in the speeds available to people.

Sky, what have to invested in the Irish broadband market? Almost nothing. They are purely a marketing company with zero infrastructure investment. They are simply reselling Eircoms VDSL, 2 years late.

Really there is nothing to see here, I honestly don't know why anyone would be excited about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

hi,

I am with sky at the moment... I get 16/17mb download speed and about 500k upload speeds. The speeds are grand for me.. I need low pings for gaming but can wait to download large files. One thing I don't want is a bigger bill no matter how faster the connection is. Does anyone know the new prices ? Does it mean that prices are going up no matter what? I'm not taking the package that offers same price but a cap of 25GB..

I think Vodafone is my only option price wise now. I hope they don't raise the price... and then there is the problem of getting the engineer in when I am at work.

- UPC spent 500 million developing it's network, brining 200mb/s broadband to almost half the premises in Ireland and causing a revolution in the quality of broadband on offer in Ireland.

- As a result of the competition from UPC, Eircom spends 500 million building a VDSL network with speeds of up to 100mb/s to over 2/3rds of the premises in Ireland.

- ESB/Vodafone about to spend 500million to bring 1Gb/s FTTH to almost a quarter of the homes in Ireland.

These developments are the real exciting developments. They are real competition. They are driving real massive leaps in the speeds available to people.

Sky, what have to invested in the Irish broadband market? Almost nothing. They are purely a marketing company with zero infrastructure investment. They are simply reselling Eircoms VDSL, 2 years late.

Really there is nothing to see here, I honestly don't know why anyone would be excited about this.

Bk,

What the ESB/ Vodfone are hoping to do plus UPC has done is exciting. Yes, they have to get returns on their investments. Sky are piggey backing on the exciting infrastructure. To me competition is in pricing the product.

Both ESB/Vodafone and UPC are going to spread their costs over many years.

Customers do not look at this investment but what it is going to cost them.

I agree with what you have said about Sky.

Their PR has been very poor and the way they have treated their Irish customers is probably the worst I have seen by by a Sales and Marketing company. Closing the forum and Fibre and then closing their Irish a Section on the Support forum.

See at long last they have taken a Section on Boards.ie

For many years I worked in commercial selling and the my company invested heavily in RD very costly. But the clients/ customers were really not interested in that. But, what the product was going to cost them.

We used what we spent as part of of marketing of the products.

As customers just want to know what it is going to cost in the end.

Eircom are now investing. Something they did not do for many years.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    hi,

I am with sky at the moment... I get 16/17mb download speed and about 500k upload speeds. The speeds are grand for me.. I need low pings for gaming but can wait to download large files. One thing I don't want is a bigger bill no matter how faster the connection is. Does anyone know the new prices ? Does it mean that prices are going up no matter what? I'm not taking the package that offers same price but a cap of 25GB..

I think Vodafone is my only option price wise now. I hope they don't raise the price... and then there is the problem of getting the engineer in when I am at work.

As far as I know it is similar to,what happen when they entered the market. It is self install with their router

As post on Boards.ie

Sky Ireland is delighted to announce the introduction of superfast and super-unlimited Sky Fibre, a brand new fibre broadband product which will give customers the capacity to browse, stream and download content more quickly than ever before and ensure there’s enough bandwidth for all the family.

Available to 1 million homes in Ireland from January, Sky Fibre launches with an introductory offer of 6 months free Sky Fibre Unlimited (line rental of €30 per month applies). In addition, the offer means that customers could get all three services (Fibre, Talk and TV) bundled from Sky starting from just €59 per month.

The addition of Sky Fibre with its speeds of up to 100Mbps will ensure that Sky TV customers who connect their Sky+HD box to their broadband will have the best possible viewing experience as they access thousands of hours of great TV shows and movies through On Demand, Catch Up TV, and Sky Store services, as well as streaming content on multiple devices with the Sky Go app.

Customers who choose to take TV from Sky will also benefit from the convenience of having just one monthly bill and be serviced seven days a week by Sky’s award winning team of dedicated customer service advisors based in Dublin.

Interested consumers should call Sky on 0818 719 832 for more information on how they can get Sky Fibre.

......Sky Fibre launches with an introductory offer of 6 months free Sky Fibre Unlimited (line rental of €30 per month applies). In addition, the offer means that customers could get all three services (Fibre, Talk and TV) bundled from Sky starting from just €59 per month......

Hi,

Thanks for the post. I pay €40/month to sky for broadband, from the above it sounds as though its going up to €50/month or take a package with a stupid cap.

Hi,

Thanks for the post. I pay €40/month to sky for broadband, from the above it sounds as though its going up to €50/month or take a package with a stupid cap.

There's no cap with Sky. Only Vodafone have a cap/fair usage policy.

Here's are some calculations I done:

Over an 18 month period (with first 6 months discounts)

Eircom: €834 unlimited
    Vodafone: €810 300GB
    Sky: €780 unlimited

Over a 12 month period (with first 6 months discounts)

Eircom: €516 unlimited
    Vodafone: €540 300GB
    Sky: €480 unlimited

Sky's pricing is the best if you're only sticking around for 23 months. Vodafone is the best for long term, more than 24 months)

• Advertisement

Hi,

I pay Sky for phone and unlimited use plus free calls to Ireland and UK, plus free mobile calls to,US. 37.50€. This will increase to 40€. Just got rid of Sky movies.

There's no cap with Sky. Only Vodafone have a cap/fair usage policy.

Here's are some calculations I done:

Over an 18 month period (with first 6 months discounts)

Eircom: €834 unlimited
    Vodafone: €810 300GB
    Sky: €780 unlimited

Over a 12 month period (with first 6 months discounts)

Eircom: €516 unlimited
    Vodafone: €540 300GB
    Sky: €480 unlimited

Sky's pricing is the best if you're only sticking around for 18 months. Vodafone's is the best for long term More than 24 months)

Yes that is Sky for the first year. ( 30 * 6 = 180 ) + (50 * 6 =300 ) = €480 but after 12 months is up its to €600. I might stick on for another year but then I think I will have to move to vodafone

Yes that is Sky for the first year. ( 30 * 6 = 180 ) + (50 * 6 =300 ) = €480 but after 12 months is up its to €600. I might stick on for another year but then I think I will have to move to vodafone

One is only looking as the costs from Fibre. One must also look at the phone service.

I edited my previous post.

Vodafone 24 months = 1080
    Sky 24 months = 1080

Vodafone 23 months = 1035
    Sky 23 months = 1030

For 23 months, Sky would be cheaper. Vodafone is same for 24 months and cheaper onwards.

If you're like me where you change providers at the end of every contract, Sky Fibre is good news.

Sky puts up there Satellite Service to me by 2€ a month. Getting Sky Fibre extra 2.50€ a month. Total extra 4.50€

Got rid of Sky Movies

One looks at what one wants to receive.

On this set up a same some money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement