Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will a drink driving conviction stop me getting work in social care or psychology

• 29-01-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

Hi I am coming to the end of my psychology degree and will be looking for work soon.i have a drink driving conviction that is 11 years old and am wondering will it stop me getting work in psychology or social care in Ireland ?

I really want to work in this I'd appreciate any comments from people who might know something about this ?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Halo1981 wrote: »
    Hi

Hi I am coming to the end of my psychology degree and will be looking for work soon.i have a drink driving conviction that is 11 years old and am wondering will it stop me getting work in psychology or social care in Ireland ?

I really want to work in this I'd appreciate any comments from people who might know something about this ?

Thank you

Psychology isn't a job, you need to be more specific, social care definitely, you won't be employable there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Will you be driving a car for your work?

If you won't be driving then it has nothing to do with the work involved. It would be up to your employer to hire you or not.

Unfortunately it will appear on a Garda Vetting form I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Halo1981

Educational psychology is the area where I want to do a masters in what do you think ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Halo1981 wrote: »
    Educational psychology is the area where I want to do a masters in what do you think ?

I'd contact the institutions where you want to study. They'll give you an answer. You'll only get opinions here. My guess would be no, it won't affect studying for Ed.Psych.

Thank you all for your replies appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It shouldn't affect you studying, but you'll be out of any job that requires garda vetting. I'd question your decision to study something education related as you have no chance of getting any job working with anyone under 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

GarIT wrote: »
    It shouldn't affect you studying, but you'll be out of any job that requires garda vetting. I'd question your decision to study something education related as you have no chance of getting any job working with anyone under 18.

Do you have professional experience of this?! All Garda vetting shows is convictions, it is up to the employer if they want to hire an individual if they have criminal convictions or not.

Why would a drink driving conviction have any bearing on a persons ability to work in social care or psychology?!?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Drink driving 11 years ago, no further convictions, non violent offence. I don't see why it should stop you getting a job in your chosen profession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This is most certainly not the case. A vetting report declares convictions. Nothing more. It is up to the institution through which the vetting is requested to decide whether or not the conviction is relevant or not. A single past transgression does not bar an applicant for life. The vetting declaration simply puts it out in the open.

Your comment is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

What are basing this on? Unless you have specific knowledge that this is the case then it is highly irresponsible of you to post something like this up as fact.

OP, if you're going to be working with under 18s then you will need Garda vetting, so therefore there will be no point in hiding the fact that you have this conviction. Therefore, you have nothing to lose by phoning up the course or job you're interested in and asking them out straight how it is likely to affect you.

I would imagine it will not affect you too seriously. It is only a road traffic offence at the end of the day and it was 11 years ago.

Eoin

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your supportive comments I will be making some enquires tomorrow.
    Kind regards

Halo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Psychology isn't a job, you need to be more specific, social care definitely, you won't be employable there.

This isn't After Hours, you really shouldn't state something as fact here when it seems that it is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Superdedupity

What is the status of the Spent Convictions bill, and when enacted, will something like this still show up on vetting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What is the status of the Spent Convictions bill, and when enacted, will something like this still show up on vetting?
    As the Bill currently stands, if you're being vetted for security work, or for working with children or vulnerable adults, all your spent convictions will still show up.

Advertisement