Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 40" LED TV Deal in Limerick

Options
  • 02-12-2010 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Looking for a 40" LED TV. Anyone know which of the electrical stores are doing ggod deals currently? Do you reckon there were be good deals before Christmas or should I wait till the new year January sales?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Definitely LED you want? Not LCD or plasma?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Achtung123

Yep, LED. Have a 32" philips HD ready 50hz LCD currently and bluray quality is not great on it. Would you not recommend LED? Not interested in Plasma currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

All I was gonna say was that if you were interested in a 40" LCD they had a great deal on a Samsung 5 series in Currys. I have a smaller version of the same TV and very happy with it - pulls down all the Digital TV stations in great quality, plays every CODEC I can throw at it from my portable hardrive of movies. No idea how good it is with BluRay tho!

LED looks savage in fairness, just most people don't know the differences between LCD, LED, plasma...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try Future, Sound and Vision at the top of William Street. May not be able to match the likes of Curry's or Harvey Normans on price but their aftersales is worth the extra few euros alone and you are supporting a local business in these tough times. Tony and Sean are decent lads too, they worked in Savins for years.

BTW I have no association with them, just a happy customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

bazz26 wrote: »
    Try Future, Sound and Vision at the top of William Street. May not be able to match the likes of Curry's or Harvey Normans on price but their aftersales is worth the extra few euros alone and you are supporting a local business in these tough times. Tony and Sean are decent lads too, they worked in Savins for years.

BTW I have no association with them, just a happy customer.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭phog

jonski wrote: »
    +1

+2

I cant fault them for service and price isnt too bad either. Last time I purchased a TV they delivered and set it up with my Sky box and took away all the packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Jofspring

phog wrote: »
    +2

I cant fault them for service and price isnt too bad either. Last time I purchased a TV they delivered and set it up with my Sky box and took away all the packaging.

Thats precisely the kind of service you want which you won't get from the likes of Currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Fitzgearld electrical on Henry street have a few offers on LED tvs at the moment as well.

A Philips 40" LED with an extended warranty, plus TV stand, a blu ray player and an Ipod dock/speaker for €999.

They also have Samsung 40" LED tvs there for €799.

They provide a similar service to what Future, Sound and Vision do, in that they deliver, set up and take away packaging and your old tv at no extra cost.

Them or Future, Sound and Vision if you want to support a local business, or Soundstore if you want to buy from a chain but still be going somewhere that the staff have good knowledge on the oproducts and where the back up service is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Did this last year, go into harvey normans just as it opens christmas eve. got 200 yoyos knocked off a tv i was looking at the week before. Soundstore guys down from harveys are pretty cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

langdang wrote: »
    All I was gonna say was that if you were interested in a 40" LCD they had a great deal on a Samsung 5 series in Currys. I have a smaller version of the same TV and very happy with it - pulls down all the Digital TV stations in great quality, plays every CODEC I can throw at it from my portable hardrive of movies. No idea how good it is with BluRay tho!

LED looks savage in fairness, just most people don't know the differences between LCD, LED, plasma...

Research this in detail - AFAIK LED TVs in the marketplace right now are just a Marketing ploy where just the backlight is LED - True LED is yet to come.

- I'd buy a Samsung LCD if it was going at a good price as they have (generally speaking) a decent reputation and I doubt you'd regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

If you are buying a new TV make sure it's MPEG4

niallers1 wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

niallers1 wrote: »
    phog wrote: »
    Why?

Analogue television in Ireland is switching to Digital. Switch-off of analogue is planned for late 2012.
    Analogue is being replaced by digital terrestrial television (DTT) which was launched on the 29th of October 2010, as a trial service. Free-to-air DTT in Ireland has been named SAORVIEW, and will be complimented with a free-to-air satellite service called SAORSAT to achieve 100% reception coverage.
    This service requires a mpeg4 television.
    Of course if your using sky or chorus to get your channels, it wont make a difference.

phill106 wrote: »
    Analogue television in Ireland is switching to Digital. Switch-off of analogue is planned for late 2012.
    Analogue is being replaced by digital terrestrial television (DTT) which was launched on the 29th of October 2010, as a trial service. Free-to-air DTT in Ireland has been named SAORVIEW, and will be complimented with a free-to-air satellite service called SAORSAT to achieve 100% reception coverage.
    This service requires a mpeg4 television.
    Of course if your using sky or chorus to get your channels, it wont make a difference.

Thanks.

When did MPEG4 become availabel on TVs or how would I know if my current TVs are suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Originally came in around 2006. If you post the make and model of your telly here, should be able to help you find it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

There seems to be a popular myth that LED is the next generation of televisions to replace LCD's in order to get better picture quality. This is not necessarily the case. The biggest advantage to LED's is they consume less power and are thinner units. That's it! For that you get a hefty price increase. Almost every LED unit out there has an LCD equivalent that gives just as good a picture.

OP if your current LCD has a poor picture quality then don't limit yourself to just looking at LED's.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-guide/plasma-lcd-led-tvs/?tag=contentBody;page

Advertisement