Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ennis Road to Cratloemoyle (old 'pretunnel' dual c. way)

• 29-10-2010 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭

What is the deal with the works here?

The tunnel is open a while now and these works are still dragging at a snail's pace.

There are still cones all over the road in both directions keeping traffic in a single lane when there is a fine dual carriageway there.

There are lamp post stubs there for a few weeks now, with no sign of the rest of the lamp posts coming. The new roundabout (why?) has been completed.

Has anyone any insight into what is going on here with the delay, and when they will finally be finished i.e. restore both lanes as they were?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

topper75 wrote: »
    What is the deal with the works here?
    Has anyone any insight into what is going on here with the delay, and when they will finally be finished i.e. restore both lanes as they were?
    When the tunnel reaches it's predicted traffic volumes, the powers that be MAY consider derestricting the alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

langdang wrote: »
    When the tunnel reaches it's predicted traffic volumes, the powers that be MAY consider derestricting the alternative.

Cynical conspiracy theory or truth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

langdang wrote: »

Apparently it is on formal record that every effort will be made to restrict, impede, annoy, delay, frustrate and anger Motorists attempting to travel to Clare without using the Tunnel that you had no choice but to financially contribute towards the building of.

This means that the rich Investors can profit from it for decades to come while your Children shiver in a School Prefab and your Parents shiver on a Trolley in a Hospital corridor.

- Welcome to Ireland, the Cradle of half-arséd obvious corruption, cronyism and botched Infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

phill106 wrote: »

Apparently it doesn't really matter, because thanks to the brain-dead assholes that run this country, we're going to have to pay for the tolls whether we use the tunnel or not!

Lower traffic numbers through the tunnel = compensation.

In any non-banana republic lower traffic numbers = review of prices, but not in this cesspit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I think that roundabout is the point where the new road out that side is supposed to meet the Ennis Road. There was a map of it in one of the clare papers a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Ssh, they're watching us;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    I think that roundabout is the point where the new road out that side is supposed to meet the Ennis Road.

Is that a northern ring road you are referring to?

I am happy to believe the theory to be honest. If they are looking at paying cash penalties off the Tunnel consortium, then they'll do what they can to slow down the non-tunnel option, won't they.

Also willing to anyone who can counter the conspiracy theory of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

As someone who often goes from Shannon to Raheen, Its hard to believe there is any other reason for all the stops on the dock road and the ongoing works on the ennis road that are making that part of the journey so bad compared with the option of parting with €1.80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    As someone who often goes from Shannon to Raheen, Its hard to believe there is any other reason for all the stops on the dock road and the ongoing works on the ennis road that are making that part of the journey so bad compared with the option of parting with €1.80.

Not sure about the dock road, but the stops on the Condell road were needed.

I assume these works are going to part of the new road running behind Moyross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Ive been thru the tunnell a few times and I could've sworn I was the only car on that road.....are local people actually using the tunnell at all? Whats it like at peak times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Ive been thru the tunnell a few times and I could've sworn I was the only car on that road.....are local people actually using the tunnell at all? Whats it like at peak times?

locals are using the tunnel alright but alot of the local trips are not eased by the tunnel - its built as a bypass and certainly seems to be working as a by-pass as traffic on Dock Road, through town and Ennis/Condel Roads are certainly down on this time last year - course it could be due to people not having work to go to or not having money to travel around too !! However, 80% of my trips can't use the tunnel and same for vast majority of my neighbours/friends too. I use it when I can though.

Passed the gauntlet of cones again this morning on my commute to Galway. No workmen in sight. Haven't seen 'em in quite a while now.

One other issue with all of this is that if they were to remove all the cones, you would have two lanes of traffic all hitting the last roundabout from which there is only a single-lane exit!! (most vehicles would be going in the Shannon direction rather than towards the Radisson).

Potential chaos.

Passed the gauntlet of cones again this morning on my commute to Galway. No workmen in sight. Haven't seen 'em in quite a while now.

One other issue with all of this is that if they were to remove all the cones, you would have two lanes of traffic all hitting the last roundabout from which there is only a single-lane exit!! (most vehicles would be going in the Shannon direction rather than towards the Radisson).

Potential chaos.

Should be fine. IF (big if) people follow rules of road!
    Assume they will have road markings to have left lane for 1st exit only, right lane for 2nd and 3rd exit. Course that may be too much like common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Should be fine. IF (big if) people follow rules of road!
    Assume they will have road markings to have left lane for 1st exit only, right lane for 2nd and 3rd exit. Course that may be too much like common sense.

IF they followed the rules of the road http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html they'd be using the left lane for the 2nd exit.

5h4mr0(k wrote: »
    IF they followed the rules of the road http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html they'd be using the left lane for the 2nd exit.

Yes, but I had the caveat about the road being marked otherwise. They would be using the left lane, unless marked otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Potential chaos.

Builders holidays I think, they should be back next Monday dragging their arses about again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Three weeks later, all cones still in place. Ugh!

I've emailed direct route but probably not expecting a reply.

Lets just move the cones off to the side ourselves. Meet you there at 2 am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

I agree those cones still being there is ridiculous.
    But they're up, because the road lighting is still not complete, no?

tagoona wrote: »
    I agree those cones still being there is ridiculous.
    But they're up, because the road lighting is still not complete, no?

Lots of roads have no lighting, at the moment they still have the lights on those generators, they can leave them in place. Plus my car comes with headlights :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Oh... I'm with you there... just pointing out that it's probably some
    electrical subcontractor has left them there until they finish the lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

The unfinished section is sooo annoying - as bad as the tree cutting around Bunratty which follows the hedge cutting a few weeks ago - it's a dual cone-way at this stage! :rolleyes:

Also - exit 4 at the Radisson must be the shortest exit around - at rush hour there are regular tailbacks onto the dual carriageway with cars exiting.

Madness, I tella ya.

Osk wrote: »
    The unfinished section is sooo annoying - as bad as the tree cutting around Bunratty which follows the hedge cutting a few weeks ago - it's a dual cone-way at this stage! :rolleyes:

Also - exit 4 at the Radisson must be the shortest exit around - at rush hour there are regular tailbacks onto the dual carriageway with cars exiting.

Madness, I tella ya.

Was terrible this morning, I have up at setrights and went through cratloe.

I've been tempted to go move them but they have a security man there! Some small form of activity at the Meelick roundabout today, 2 men in jeeps and a digger doing something.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If any of the relevant people are reading this...
    I'm not going to pay 1.80 to drive through the tunnel!

Leave the bollards up there til doomsday, it's not going to work!

I drove back from dublin this evening. Debated using the tunnel. Cheapness won out.

Update. The lights are now working. A small number of cones removed. Most of them still there, having been in place since....May? Feck sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

I'm convinced they have people paid to drive slowly on the condell road to get people using the tunnell. I keep seeing the same truck pulling the same empty trailer driving at 30 km per hr every morning and pulling into the road which is just before the entrance to the toll road from the condell road side.

I think this is the tunnell employee entrance.

Those bollards are a joke.. Do you phone limerick city council or clare county council to complain...

niallers1 wrote: »
    I'm convinced they have people paid to drive slowly on the condell road to get people using the tunnell. I keep seeing the same truck pulling the same empty trailer driving at 30 km per hr every morning and pulling into the road which is just before the entrance to the toll road from the condell road side.

Those bollards are a joke.. Do you phone limerick city council or clare county council to complain...

Its in Clare, so clare I guess. It was direct route I emailed about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

niallers1 wrote: »

Oh come on, so you think the tunnel company pay an employee and all the associated transport costs to have drive in and out the Condell road so that drivers will get pissed off drving to the speed limit and switch to using the tunnel.
    I've heard it all now :eek:

• Advertisement

They must have heard me complain. All the cones are now gone! :D

I feel bad for having believed the conspiracy theory. I don't have anything against the tunnel anymore and may start throwing a few bob their way!;)

Advertisement