Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP Link powerline to ups (no wps button)

Options
  • 21-11-2014 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've just bought TP Link AV500 powerline wifi kit wpa4226kit and hope to connect it this evening. Looking at instructions etc it seems straight forward if your router has a wps button, but my upc router doesn't have this button.

Am I right that I connect the tp link extender (not adapter?) by ethernet to my computer and I can change the ssid and password there to match my upc one? Is this easy to do, as I have very limited tech knowledge?!

I do have a sky on demand box set up now that is linked to my ups, and that has a wps button on it - I wonder could I just pair the tp link adapter to that by pressing that wps button and would that do the job of pairing my ssid and password, or would it mess things up?!

Any help really appreciated - don't want to be going around in circles for hours this evening and getting nowhere!

Thanks
    Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The WPS button is for connecting other wireless devices to the WiFI not the Powerline kit to the Router.

You plug one of the units in beside your router and connect the 2 of them via an Ethernet cable.

The WPS button should be on the other unit that you place away from the router

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes the wps button just automates the setup process somewhat - so that the new wifi adapters mirror the old settings thus creating a seamless network. You can still just login and enter the settings manually.

Just note all the usual warnings about powerline adapters. Do not make them share the circuit with anything else! Also note that the "side-by-side double plug sockets" common in many Irish homes share the same circuit, so don't plug stuff in beside the powerline adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Thanks for replies. I'd like the SSID and password to be same as my router so that phones, ipad etc will all just connect automatically to new wifi hotspot without having a new tplink ssid and password to connect into. I thought the wps button pairs with the ups ssid/password? To achieve this, could I use the sky wps button, or best to do through the computer?

If through the computer, do I connect the adapter or the extender (that has the wps button) by ethernet to the computer? I presume I do this as step one?
    Sorry if this is basic, I've never used one of these before and hard to follow online descriptions as most assume your router has a wps button already re the few steps to follow!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Download the 'utility' program for your model. This will allow you to change ssid etc to match your current router.

Hi,
    Tried to get ssid and password same by using the cd that came with box and connecting the adapter via ethernet to pc, but it didnt show up the device for changing the ssid / password, unless I was doing something wrong.

So, I just did plug adapter to router and the extender plug to other room to see how it worked - I'm very impressed, I've now full wifi in rooms where there used to be no signal! The signal from the plug seems much stronger than the upc router itself and is spreading much further (reaching upstairs etc).

But I do need to switch from upc to tplink on phone / ipad (wifi settings) when moving to sitting room etc, so would be ideal to have seamless network. Presume I'd have this if I managed to change the ssid and password of tplink? Might try again tonight, should I be connecting the extender part of tp link plug to pc and changing that one (as opposed to adapter one)?
    I thought it would just show up (as per instructions I printed off) and be obvious how to change ssid and password, but it wasn't!

Even with current set-up though, I'm very happy with these things, if anyone else considering getting them to boost their wifi...

Thanks again
    Simon

• Advertisement

If the homeplug is connected directly (not via switch/hub) to the PC it should pick it up via the utility. The utility scans for a mac address. Download the latest version to see if that works.

Don't bother using the utility - never worked for me, just browse to the address of the tp-link adapter and change settings manually.

You just need to know the address, which can be found by running the "ipconfig" command. The only settings you need to change are SSID and password.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Don't bother using the utility - never worked for me, just browse to the address of the tp-link adapter and change settings manually.

You just need to know the address, which can be found by running the "ipconfig" command. The only settings you need to change are SSID and password.

Can't do this as homeplugs are layer 2 devices i.e they don't have ip addresses .

The ones with built-in wifi do.

The ones with built-in wifi do.

Ah ok. Never used one.

• Advertisement

Is it the adaptor (one plugged into router) or extender (one plugged in other room that I connect to via tplink ssid and password currently) that I need to connect to PC and change ssid/password on?
    How do you run ipconfig?!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You change the password on the extender, not the host homeplug.

Check if there is something like 'Powerline Scan utility' on your installation cd. This should pick up the ip address of the wifi extender.

Thanks guys, the cd worked this time round perfectly, so got ssid and password changed very easily, all up and running and wifi all over the house now! TP link plug seems a lot stronger at sending out wifi signal than the upc router!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aaronegro

I know this thread is old, veeeery old.

However, I attempted to configure the tplink extenders and while th eWPS option is greyed out and cannot be changed, if the band is changed within the router settings to use a combined band (2.4 and 5ghz at the same time) bonding is possible.

Bonding allows network bonding, which is what the tplink extender is doing.

When this setting is configured in the router, WPS can be selected and saved.

Once completed, go to youtube instruction video and follow the usual instructions, it will work.

Advertisement