Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Covers Of Metal Songs

Options
  • 26-11-2014 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭

The idea behind this thread is showcasing songs that were originally performed/written/made-famous-by metal bands... but were then covered by an artist/band of a hugely different genre or by an artist you wouldn't expect to cover a metal band, or where the song is dramatically changed (for better or for worse).

Some that stuck out for me were the following...

-"In My Dreams"; originally written and performed by Dokken from their 1985 album, Under Lock And Key. The song deals with pretty dark themes of abandonment, depression and general malaise.

In 1991, the song was covered by The Party, an American pop band, of which all the members were part of The All New Mickey Mouse Club on Disney (seriously). For someone who is a huge Dokken fan and who generally despises pop music, this cover ain't half bad and is actually sinfully catchy.

-"Don't Fear The Reaper"; originally written and performed by Blue Öyster Cult from their 1976 album Agents Of Fortune. Again, another dark song dealing with death and the inevitability of fighting against it and other themes such as immortality. A classic, too.

In 1996, Gus Black covered the song to appear on the soundtrack to the film Scream. The song was transformed into a quite hauntingly beautiful acoustic ballad, as opposed to the high-tempo hard rock track that was the original.

-"Pour Some Sugar On Me"; originally written and performed by Def Leppard on their 1987 album Hysteria. A pop-metal anthem of epic proportions that has become a staple in pop culture and strip clubs. A proper fist-in-the-air pumping song.

Recently, and I swear to god I nearly vomited at this, One (fúcking) Direction have used samples of and covered parts of this song for some song of theirs called "Midnight Memories". No way am I posting the fúcking video for that. Against my better judgement, I did watch it... and it is every bit as terrible as I had feared. Fúck One Direction, seriously.

There are probably loads more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head right now. Add more yizzer-selves. :P

Comments

Advertisement