Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AH? - Why So Sterile

Options
  • 16-11-2014 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭

So I'm sitting on the fence watching perfectly good threads and posters been shut down for no reason, it is mildly amusing at times but IMO it's killing a community and I say this as someone who really couldn't care less.

It seems a sneeze is cardable,

Sarcasm, nah boards don't do sarcasm.

Humour, WTF is that.

You either allow humour or you don't, odd folk really.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

What's your point DeanK? Or is that just a scattergun criticism? I fail to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

What's your point DeanK? Or is that just a scattergun criticism? I fail to follow.

Not very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Deank wrote: »
    So I'm sitting on the fence watching perfectly good threads and posters been shut down for no reason, it is mildly amusing at times but IMO it's killing a community and I say this as someone who really couldn't care less.

It seems a sneeze is cardable,

Sarcasm, nah boards don't do sarcasm.

Humour, WTF is that.

You either allow humour or you don't, odd folk really.

You cared enough to start a thread though. What is your point? I say that as someone who has followed your posts here on Boards. This seems out of character. You're a Boards poster long enough to know there has to be lines and boundaries. It's a case of "get with the programme".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not very helpful.

Neither is your thread though,

You understand the site has rules and mods don't go around doing stuff for the laugh right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Examples would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Cabaal wrote: »
    Neither is your thread though,

You understand the site has rules and mods don't go around doing stuff for the laugh right?

I dunno i think he has a point, Not saying mods look for things to do for fun but more along the lines of some mods are maybe a little bit over zealous in closing threads. At one stage it seemed (to me) that kersplat was working to a deadline he was closing down so many threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Harold Finchs Machine

Nodin wrote: »
    Examples would be nice.

None were needed in the stupid misogny thread next door to drag it on for 100s of posts, despite they been asked for over and over.

OP is right.

Theirs been a few threads on this now in here going back months, but this is Mod Central and they dont like being told they've destroyed the Forum so they thanks wh@re these sorta threads, make a laugh of the OP and on we go.

This will be ignored like all the rest despite their been obvious problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There may be stuff going on in the background that you can't see. If a thread is started by a sitebanned re-reg, it's closed; and rightly so.
    None were needed in the stupid misogny thread next door to drag it on for 100s of posts, despite they been asked for over and over.

Fair point. That, and what followed, was a massive overreaction.

AH goes through it's ups and downs, the removal of all things politics has changed the forum somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

IMO it's killing a community and I say this as someone who really couldn't care less.
    How could the second bit of your sentence possibly be true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

Humour, WTF is that.
    The all new and shiny Thunderdome.

Not for delicate flowers.

Yes, I think I've identified the problem here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Any time I look at it these days it's mostly or all old threads with hundreds or thousands of posts.
    People don't seem inclined to start new threads for fear of being banned,lack of interest or not really knowing what's acceptable anymore.
    Whatever the reason it's dull as dishwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

kneemos wrote: »
    Any time I look at it these days it's mostly or all old threads with hundreds or thousands of posts.
    People don't seem inclined to start new threads for fear of being banned,lack of interest or not really knowing what's acceptable anymore.
    Whatever the reason it's dull as dishwater.

Ive noticed this myself actually. I dunno how maybe times I've went into AH and looked at all main threads on first page or two and taught I really don't wanna talk about any of these things!

The problem though is the way AH s has gone thinking of a thread is not always that simple. All people seem to want to do is argue about something or come together in there love for the same things over and over.

So it means at times you really don't wanna join!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Inconsistent modding is the problem. There are some mods on this site who are worse than the trolls themselves.

As much as I think AH s is on a lull I don't think it's mods at fault.

I don't love them all! Ha but the vast majority of them just doing what they have to.

I think it's the posting style of people in general that's the issue.

Theres a big problem on this site that it seems no matter what you post its gonna turn into a bashing thread in some form.

Basically you cant mention most things without it turning into a scrap!.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Ive noticed this myself actually. I dunno how maybe times I've went into AH and looked at all main threads on first page or two and taught I really don't wanna talk about any of these things!

So... start a thread on what you do want to talk about then?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

mike_ie wrote: »

It would get moved to here

Mods would poo poo any ideas

Thread would be closed down

Back to square one.

mike_ie wrote: »

Done it plenty of times sure. All im saying is the standard seems to of gone off big time lately. Sometimes its nice to just observe a good thread but i cant remember many threads ive even enjoyed reading threw lately they all go down the same route one side vs the other.

Everything tends to turn into an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It is a bit dull at the moment and I guess the fighting about certain topics doesn't help but I think this is cyclical and in the time I've been using it (8 years) the forum does seem to go through phases.

anncoates wrote: »
    It is a bit dull at the moment and I guess the fighting about certain topics doesn't help but I think this is cyclical and in the time I've been using it (8 years) the forum does seem to go through phases.

There seems to be an atmosphere around a lot of the site lately with how people interact with others.

Its getting harder and harder to just talk about things on here without it getting into a heated argument/debate or people being judged or told what they should be doing or talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

In the thread that preceded it in AH, I asked. None were provided.

Back to this issue, I don't see how we can see and properly address what the OP is on about specifically without a few examples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It would get moved to here

Mods would poo poo any ideas

Thread would be closed down

Back to square one.

Ah go on... in the interest of science.. seriously though, ill provide a topic if you'll post it... it will be circa 2010 vintage material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

AH used to be likened to a pub I believe. A raucous and rowdy place where you went to have a laugh. You weren't too worried about offending anyone and could bounce around the place, have a laugh with your mates on one side and then have a serious political discussion on the other.

These days it feels like calling over to your highly-strung & opinionated Aunts house for a cup of tea. No craic and if you say anything she doesn't agree with you're out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

AH used to be like a pub ten or so years ago when you could trust the users not to take the piss too much. A bit like how you don't need bouncers in small country pubs usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ah used to be like a country pub full of freudian slips

Where you could say one thing but mean your m*th*r.

So I started a thread in AH asking how do people feel about AH at the moment.

I wanted to keep it separate from here because I felt it was a much bigger more open subject then the one in this thread. Also I taught more would see it and would be able to comment on it in there own way there.

It got to few pages and then it was closed and this thread was mentioned as to where I should talk about it?

Anyway I already explained in pm and again in this post why I taught it could of been a separate thread but from the look of things I won't be hearing anymore about it! Ha.

Not gonna lose any sleep over it though I just taught maybe there was room for a conversation about the forum in there where people actually post.

*not trying to be bitchy to anyone in particular by the way don't want the post come across that way seeing as mod has took the time now to reply to me*

Advertisement