Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding fine

Options
  • 29-01-2014 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope it's ok to post this here.

I got caught for speeding over the Christmas and today got my ticket in the post.

I was in the wrong and there's no issue there but the time on the ticket states 16.35 although it was 18.40 when I was stopped by the Gardai.

Can I contest this on the basis that it is incorrect?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

your honor I was not speeding at 16.35 although it was 18.40,

guilty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

lachin wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope it's ok to post this here.

I got caught for speeding over the Christmas and today got my ticket in the post.

I was in the wrong and there's no issue there but the time on the ticket states 16.35 although it was 18.40 when I was stopped by the Gardai.

Can I contest this on the basis that it is incorrect?

If the garda stopped you at 18.40 you were stationary and not speeding so the offence occurred prior.

Should you contest the charge your charge would be worded "at approx 6.35pm the accused was speeding."

However should you wish to contest the charge you should seek proper legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Zambia wrote: »
    If the garda stopped you at 18.40 you were stationary and not speeding so the offence occurred prior.

Should you contest the charge your charge would be worded "at approx 6.35pm the accused was speeding."

However should you wish to contest the charge you should seek proper legal advice.

I understand what you are saying but my point is I wasn't speeding at 16.35, I wasn't even in my car or that area at the time!

The speeding offence occurred at 18.40 , yet the notice I received states I was speeding at 16.35. Incorrect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I understand what you are saying but my point is I wasn't speeding at 16.35, I wasn't even in my car or that area at the time!

The speeding offence occurred at 18.40 , yet the notice I received states I was speeding at 16.35. Incorrect!

My bad I read that wrong. Chances are the charge would have the correct time.

It's up to you my opinion would be that the garda would claim a clerical error and proceed.

Like I said talk to a legal practitioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

It's a typo, typos can be and usually are amended, on summonses and fixed charge notices.

By contesting it you would only be delaying the inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

In the past, summonses have been dismissed for various reasons, to include lack of jurisdiction, complaints not being made on time, or issues prejudicing the defendant.

Otherwise, District Judges have often used their power to amend summonses to correct minor details that need to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Sounds like the Garda made a typing mistake by entering 1635 instead of 1835.

Would be a risky strategy letting it go to court. I would say your chances of a strike out would be little to none. There is always a change that the Garda might not show but IMO its not worth the risk at all.

You admit you were caught fair and square. I would pay the €80 and take the points TBH. Not worth the stress.

Advertisement