Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING RE PHONE SCAM!!!

Options
  • 13-12-2010 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

Got a call this morning from someone claiming to be from "Computer Maintenance, this is David"; when I asked "Sorry David, what Computer Maintenance would that be?" they hung up.

It's obviously some attempt at a scam, so be warned and be sure to ask the above question before engaging in conversation with the guy!

Considering loads of people have internet banking, etc, letting an unknown caller access your computer is a complete no-no!

It's a bit too obvious a scam to get caught out, but you never know - so pass this on or post it on Facebook so that these scammers don't catch anyone!

Be careful out there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

spoke to several people last week who received something similar so they must be doing the rounds recently just hang up on them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

This scam has been going for months now in Ireland.

Basically they phone up as a computer maintainance department from Microsoft.

They say that they are doing checks on a problem that affects Windows users.

They get you to go online and get you to download a piece of software to "check" for the problem/virus, and then the software finds that you have the so called problem.

They then look for credit card details so you can pay to get the correct software to remove the problem, and you end up thinking you have protected your pc.

It was brought up here a few months back, and was a topic of much conversation in the tech forums on Boards.

Most of the numbers that call are not Irish, but a few of them are Irish. The best thing people can do is take down the phone numbers if they get a call from this crowd, and report the numbers along with anything they remember to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Was it a dude with an indian accent, they keep ringing up my place, luckilly the auld fella doesn't know how to turn on a computer, he'd tell them to f'off anyone. Benn ringing our place for months now almost on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Ask them to call you back on a different number, then give them a satellite phone number to call or something equally expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ink

I had the same calls few times in the past weeks. Just told them that i do not use microsoft products and i am using linux and they just dropped off.

Just few days ago they rang my wife but she asked the lady on the other end where did she get this number and they call was quickly disconnected i suppose when they realized that no one is interested in getting any "support".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

If i get one, I'm going to say I have windows 8. Just for lol's

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You want to log onto my computer?
    Yes sir!
    Sure, one moment. I'll just turn on my MAC.

*Click

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I got this call but i had known about it before hand, he introduced himself as from microsoft and asked if i had a computer i said i did. He asked what operating system i used i said LINUX !! He was stumped and then said oh sorry sir we can only service windows PC's and he hung up :D

Advertisement