Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Tree!!

Options
  • 06-12-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

What an absolute disgrace!!! Driving down Shannon Street this evening and saw the excuse of the tree.... Half the lights completely gone now... Last week it was only parts of the lights that were out... Now it doesn't even look like a tree :mad:
    After the disaster with it last year, you'd imagine that they would have made sure it was perfect for this year!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The term "absolute disgrace" is thrown about so cheaply these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms.Cosmo

Have you seen it??? Something needs to be done about it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

did you call henry street to report it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ms.Cosmo wrote: »
    Have you seen it??? Something needs to be done about it!!!

I walked across the bridge at 5:30 on Saturday evening. To be honest, I was too enchanted by the view of swans swimming in the light of the tree while mist rose up around them to bother getting upset at a few dodgey bulbs. The view of the river is still magical when it gets dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Think that crap tree sums up the town pretty well at the moment. Going.....going......gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I thought it looked great - thursday evening

Scumbags really must be hitting hard times if they are swimming out and stealing bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Ms.Cosmo wrote: »
    What an absolute disgrace!!! Driving down Shannon Street this evening and saw the excuse of the tree.... Half the lights completely gone now... Last week it was only parts of the lights that were out... Now it doesn't even look like a tree :mad:
    After the disaster with it last year, you'd imagine that they would have made sure it was perfect for this year!!!!

As it is oft said, pics please? :(

Mc Love wrote: »

Scumbags really must be hitting hard times if they are swimming out and stealing bulbs

I blame the morons in City Hall. As per usual they are shown up to be the biggest shower of clowns ever to have held office.

Buy the lights in the January sales so to have a new set come December!!!! idiots. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It actually is a disaster. The top 15m (at a conservative estimate) is entirely unlit now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

ninty9er wrote: »
    It actually is a disaster. The top 15m (at a conservative estimate) is entirely unlit now.

Sounds like a metaphor for Fianna Fail....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    I blame the morons in City Hall. As per usual they are shown up to be the biggest shower of clowns ever to have held office.
    Buy the lights in the January sales so to have a new set come December!!!! idiots.

So its city halls fault that the private company that apparently spent 3 days rewiring and assembling the tree didn't do a good job? :rolleyes:

So its city halls fault that the private company that apparently spent 3 days rewiring and assembling the tree didn't do a good job? :rolleyes:

Might wanna fish your sense of humour out of the river there with some of those bulbs Cllr.

Btw who hired them? I hardly expected Ginger Mc to be in the river directing operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I saw the lights gone on the Tree, and a load of them were gone around town too all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Alrigt then everyone keep an eye out for a very bright amphibious honda civic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Might wanna fish your sense of humour out of the river there with some of those bulbs Cllr.

Btw who hired them? I hardly expected Ginger Mc to be in the river directing operations.

I'm not,never have been and never want to be a councillor. I do however know how the system works. The company would have been hired through a lowest bid tender which is standard practice across the public sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

When I was passing - Behold the power of Boards!!

hope they get it sorted it actually looks quite nice when its all working.

IMGP5739-2.jpg

Passed it at 10.30pm last night and the middle section is already gone again. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Yea last night half of it was still out or gone out again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

at least it didn't fall this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

i promised myself i'd stop being negative but Jesus F'n Christ, that tree is gammy looking even when its all working. The idea is brilliant but the lights themselves wrapped around a manky looking frame look really really cheap. I thought they'd try improve it over the years but they havent really. I was embarrassed looking at it on Sunday with only a few lights working, it looked ridiculous.

Like a lot of things in Limerick, the idea is great but the execution doesnt cut it. The river is a great spot for this type of thing but they need to doll it up small bit so it doesnt look like an ugly metal frame with some cheap lights tacked on.

Sorry..just being honest

• Advertisement

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    at least it didn't fall this year

Jinx

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Unfortunately its not as easy as changing bulbs.... as far as can see its LED rope light which isn't un common so don't think its pikeys robbing them.

I'd aggree that it looks great when complete and should be fixed.

We got some nice x mas lights for the market quarter for denmark st, upr denmark st and robert st. Got lots of support from the council and they also donated a 35ft x mas tree for Denamrk st.

Happy Xmas

K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

It's been fixed for a few days now.

Advertisement