Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy whole coffee beans in Dublin?

Options
  • 31-10-2004 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭

I usually buy a half pound of whole coffee beans every forthnight in Bewleys. As the cafes are now closing I am at a loss as to where to buy beans. [If the beans section of Westmoreland Street stays open I'm sorted but I fear the worst]

I know Gloria Jeans in Powerscourt Town Centre sells a wide range of beans. These are all imported from the US so there is no telling how long ago they were roasted [it's the same concern with Bewleys beans but they are only coming from their factory near Tesco Clare Hall so should be fresher].

Sheridans cheesemongers on South Anne Street stock a small range of Italian coffees. Will give them a try.

I know about http://www.greenbeanroasters.com/ in Dundalk who do mail order but they charge a minimum shipping charge of 6 euro so that is uneconomical. I could order enough to make it economical but coffee beans lose their freshness quite quickly (I read that they are at their peak 24-48 hours after roasting!)

There is a website for a small Dublin-based operation (run by a brother & sister), name escapes me (Coffee Society?), that roasts beans but I've gotten no response to emails.

With all the coffee being drunk in Dublin, there must be somewhere to buy freshly (locally) roasted beans! Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

There are coffee society coffee houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Spar sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

Got my last batch (Colombian) at the Leopardstown Farmers market (Friday only) from a Derry man (I think) - who roast the beans himself. He doesn't seem to be there all the time, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

gloria jeans(powers court), avoka down stairs, superquinn(not the best)
    and coffee socity :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

Marks and Spencer, Tesco and I think Aldi sell beans. Brands like Lavazza.Usually available in 250gm bags. If you keep whole beans out of air and light, once roasted, and in a dry,cool place, they keep for at least a few months. This is why the best brands have oneway valves on squished vacuum packs. There is no truth in old wives tale that keeping them in the fridge helps, in fact it has a bad effect on essential oils in the beans. It is ground coffee which quickly loses its freshness.
    Another place you could try is Mick Wallace's shop on the new street across the Millenium Bridge, in Quartiere Bloom.
    And if you are really stuck, I am involved with a coffee shop in Temple Bar, and we sell 3 different types, but not retail. Our catering coffee is actually more expensive than supermarket stuff, and if you PM me I'll treat you to the beans.
    You can also find organic and fairtrade coffee in Oxfam shops, and large supermarkets. Given the desperate poverty the market manipulation of prices by the big 5 or 6 Companies like Nestlé,etc has created for the farmers, buy fair trade.
    I'm assuming you want to drink proper espresso, not dish water.Also,

• Advertisement
Advertisement