Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrot Jam / Parsnip Jam

Options
  • 28-11-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

Help!

I'm drowning in a glut of carrots and parsnips from our weekly veg boxes and I've gotten it into my head that I can make jam out of them.

This is probably due to the fact that I've got Christmas hampers on the brain and I've got this stubborn idealistic refuse-to-back-down-from idea that jams should be made when there is an actual glut, not when I decide that I'm making hampers and go to the shop to buy what suits the recipe I've found.

And the reason I'm on a jam, rather than chutney, mission - is because I've learnt from years and years of hampers that people really love getting sweet things and always have a "hmm, what'll I do with this" face on when they get savory stuff. I much prefer giving gifts of joy rather than confusion, I've learnt.

I've seen that Mrs Beeton had a carrot jam recipe - but she let it cool before jarring it, adding brandy to preserve it. Sounds dodge to me?

I've also heard tell that parsnip jam is a Tasmanian tradition (which originated in England). But the recipes I've found haven't convinced me yet.

Which is all my way of saying: does anyone have a carrot jam recipe or a parsnip jam recipe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,604 ✭✭✭squonk

I don't have a recipe. However, I'm a foodie so would definitely try Carrott/Parsnip jam however I'd think it's sufficiently weird to maybe not appeal to that many people. I'd hate to see something lingering in the back of a press for 2 years then get thrown out. Perhaps if you made up a big batch of Carrott and Parsnip soup and maybe have something for charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I don't have a recipe either, but I found this one a few months back when I was thinking of a pumpkin and orange jam I made before and loved. I think it sounds gorgeous but like pretty much every vegetabley jam recipe, it's untested! http://www.cheekychilli.com/2013/08/08/carrot-jam-with-orange-ginger-and-cardamom/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I tried that cheekychilli recipe.

And I have to say, it's a bloody unbelievable success.

It's like a really gorgeous marmalade - and the carrots kinda candied and take the place of the peel in the marmalade. OH declared it the best marmalade he's ever had (!?!)...

Seriously, an unbelievable success. Eating it in on my toast, on scones, in my porridge and am DEFINITELY giving it in the Christmas hampers this year.

Advertisement