Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Supermarket

Options
  • 14-10-2004 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭

Just wondered what people's views are on the best Supermarket for overall value & range. Since we moved to Cork we've really missed Superquinn sausages !!!

Which is the Best Supermarket 42 votes

Tesco
    0% 0 votes
    Superquinn
    30% 13 votes
    Supervalu
    38% 16 votes
    Mace
    4% 2 votes
    Lidl
    0% 0 votes
    Aldi
    16% 7 votes
    Local jobby
    9% 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

dunnes in Cornelscourt is amazing
    best fruit/veg section i've seen anywhere
    otherwise superquinn blackrock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Supermarkets are a symbol of our civilisation.

I CAN'T VOTE!! I LOVE THEM ALL!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Ehhmmm there seems to be a slight problem in your poll in that you don't seem to have included Dunnes Stores which may prove a popular choice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Dunnes is suprisingly good. Superquinn are good but too pricey for me.

Supervalu wins it - better valu (!) than the South Dublin Tescos around me, and some cool exclusive products...at better price. Plus they have better deals. Now if they'd just open more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

I've found Dunnes to be the cheapest overall.

Although Lidl is good for cheap drink :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah superquinns sausages are excellent they taste soo nice!!! as for the best supermarket i'd have to go with dunnes as well!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

I pick Dunnes too. Also their club cards are great and they offer 10% back offers quite a lot. The last quarter I got €17 cash vouchers and lots of money off tokens too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

MiCr0 wrote:
    dunnes in Cornelscourt is amazing
    best fruit/veg section i've seen anywhere
    otherwise superquinn blackrock

Superquinn Blackrock is a s h i t hole. Tesco Sandymout is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Chonaic

Well dunnes in cornelscourt gets my vote, seen as i work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

tallpaul wrote:
    Ehhmmm there seems to be a slight problem in your poll in that you don't seem to have included Dunnes Stores which may prove a popular choice...

Ya quite right...well spotted ! - I'll do a quick count from the posts :)

Dunnes seems really popular - not one that I'd have immediately thought of outside of clothes....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Marks and Sparks - terrible valueish - GREAT FUPPING FOOD .... mmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think Marks&Sparks would be the best for food, but they are too expensive. The same goes for Superquinn, they have great customer service, good food, but unfortunately don't have a store near me.

I never go near Dunnes, as I think they are bad value with a terrible product range, although they have improved recently.

I prefer Tesco myself. The 24 hour store in Wilton, Cork is excellent, but the shelves are often low in stock late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Superquinn, overall have the best quality around, and the best customer service. So Superquinn. Although that new Tesco in ClareHall is very good, if not a bit too big and American.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

When I have a bit of extra dosh I would go to Marks & Spencers - there's a lot of nice stuff there! Or else I go to Tesco, Dunnes and Lidl - it's all good. I would only really avoid Super Valu, unless I really have to go to them. I find pricey and too small

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Marks & Spencers - mmm Duck Spring Rolls.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I buy most of my goodies at Mark's, why ain't they on the list?
    Other than that I would vote for Lidl or Aldi for their value, and for giving everyone else a kick up the arsé pricewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Dunnes does it for me because their Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

What a spastic - he started a topic about SUPERMARKETS and left out Marks & Spencer and Dunnes Stores - but INCLUDED Mace, which isn't even a Supermarket - it's just a crappy franchise like Spar & Centra.

And what the hell is a "jobby"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

:( I love Marks n Sparks food too.. the readymade meals etc. are absolutely fab.. especially the champ!!! but yeah.. it's so so expensive, only for treats!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

X-Dawg wrote:
    What a spastic - he started a topic about SUPERMARKETS and left out Marks & Spencer and Dunnes Stores - but INCLUDED Mace, which isn't even a Supermarket - it's just a crappy franchise like Spar & Centra.

Thanks for your intelligent 'adult' addition to this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Anywhere except Tesco :)

Honestly if any of the Tesco stores here in Ireland, with the possible exception of some of the flashy new flagship stores, were relocated back to England they'd be closed down within a week.

My local store in Bray is a prime example ... the store is shabby, surly staff who don't even know what customer service is, empty shelves, "superior" management who swan around doing absolutely nothing about obvious glaring problems, all the atmosphere of a dole office on a wet Thursday afternoon. I hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Superquinn, Dundalk - or better still ..: Superquinn, Swords. Superquinn, anyway.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Superquinn (Limerick) for me. Love the fresh bread and fruit bowls (can't beat a bit of fresh pineapple!). Expensive, though....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

for all us students out there it has to be Lidl the ultimate budget supermarket but the grub is the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Alun wrote:
    Anywhere except Tesco :)

Honestly if any of the Tesco stores here in Ireland, with the possible exception of some of the flashy new flagship stores, were relocated back to England they'd be closed down within a week.

My local store in Bray is a prime example ... the store is shabby, surly staff who don't even know what customer service is, empty shelves, "superior" management who swan around doing absolutely nothing about obvious glaring problems, all the atmosphere of a dole office on a wet Thursday afternoon. I hate it!

Yes, you can have huge differences between Tescos. The Stillorgan one is really awful but the one in Bllomfield (Dun Loaghaire) is getting better and better.

As for the vote, I would go to Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt and Tesco Bloomfield.

Raphael

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

X-Dawg wrote:

According to Billy Connolly, it's a stool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

raphaelS wrote:
    Yes, you can have huge differences between Tescos. The Stillorgan one is really awful but the one in Bllomfield (Dun Loaghaire) is getting better and better.

As for the vote, I would go to Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt and Tesco Bloomfield.

Raphael

A big reason between Bloomfields and Stillorgan being so different is age. The Stillorgan one is ancient (I remember when it was still Quinnsworth). Used to work in it, hate the place.
    Managment were awful pricks, they're all gone now though.
    Tesco Nutgrove is a fair bit better than Stillorgan, but still nothing special, and Tesco Dundrum is worse than Stillorgan.
    The only redeeming factor for any Tesco is the 36 pack of Tesco jaffa cakes.

Cornelscourt would get my vote as the best supermarket too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i usually go to tesco but thats just because it s near and cheap ., superquin nis the best though , loads of variety and the staff are that bit more helpful , than the woman who said f*x sake when i put the trolley at her checkout in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Makaveli wrote:
    A big reason between Bloomfields and Stillorgan being so different is age. The Stillorgan one is ancient (I remember when it was still Quinnsworth). Used to work in it, hate the place.
    Managment were awful pricks, they're all gone now though.

Yes, I think that's at the core of the problem. The new flashy flagship Tesco stores get new, enthusiastic, properly trained management, whereas the older ex-Quinnsworth stores get the old-style, superior attitude, couldn't give a ****e ex-Quinnsworth management, and equally ****e staff. You'll only get real change in attitudes in these stores when you get rid of these pricks and get some real managers in to change the whole culture of the places.

• Advertisement
Advertisement