Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is sourceforge.net crawling with nasties lately ?

Options
  • 26-02-2015 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Just tried to install a copy of filezilla , in my absent mind I thought ye its open source its safe , not paying much attention to the installer , it was too late i pressed yes and boom got injected with this little dirt bag : -

http://www.virusresearch.org/remove-binkiland-com-chrome-firefox-ie/

Local AV soft nailed it but it still managed to hijack the Browser and perform the default page redirect . Above link has the how to remove blurb.

Meh lil ballox came back , so additional to above just search reg for binkiland and remove fall back url and any thing it finds in relation to binkiland . Dammit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Sourceforge and several others were bought out a couple of years back. Ever since then, its standards have dropped into having dodgy ads and pushing other random crap. Best off avoided if you can, for Filezilla, you can just get it directly from the devs here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Thanks Blow Fish im all tidy and clean again , numpty move ive never gotten anything dodgy from them before, third party apps or hosted apps is something i usually lecture people on . Eating my own words now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Yes i have been working of internal corporate sahres for the last 3 years with no need to reach out to sourceforge and when I did i got a nice surprise/rude awakening , it was not like that a few years ago. Head is out of the sand now at least.

Advertisement